UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do you think of my Minimate T-Shirts?

Ivan

I just wanted to share a couple of my recent (questionably successful) Minimate related ventures into the Print On Demand (POD) world. I'm curious to see what you guys think.

About a month before SDCC this year, I decided I wanted to have a Minimate T-Shirt that I could show off in meatspace at the convention. My only experience in this area was a screen-printing class in high-school, but from what I remembered, it seemed that my Minimate wallpapers would be well suited. (Of course the POD companies don't silk-screen unless you are doing a large run and want to pay setup costs. :)) After some searching and comparison, it seemed that the only option available was printing on light colored shirts so I settled on customink.com. And a little while later this arrived in my mailbox:

spidey.jpg

spideyZoom.jpg

Pretty nice results I think. The only problem is it's a white shirt. Nothing wrong with white, I just prefer dark shirts.

Jump forward a couple months and I see a promo for printfection.com, and they say that they print on dark shirts. Excellent! After some transparency tweaks and creative masking I sent in an order. They actually have a helpful forum on their site, and through it I discovered how they print on dark shirts. It's a two step process where they lay down a white layer then the color layer. This made me a little apprehensive, as the image I chose has a ton of transparent gradients. Here's what came back:

hold.jpg

holdZoom.jpg

The Minimate didn't turn out nearly as green as I wanted and the there is quite a color shift on the horizon line. Overall it just looks washed out. Not bad, just not exactly what I wanted. On the plus side it's much better than I feared. If I do anymore, I'll either stay away from transparent gradients or super-saturate the colors.

What do you guys think?

Simply amazing! I love them.... did you make the Spiderman graphic?..thats awsome! I personally ove the white one and would gladly wear something like that lol....Ive been toying with getting a shirt done a local place here but havent found the right graphic for it..again well done!

Jeff of the Minis

Jeff of the Minis

That black shirt looks awesome! I love how the graphic turned out. Even if it isn't exactly what you were wanting, it still looks bitchin.

I also agree with Jeff. The white Spidey shirt looks great. Sometimes you've just got to wear a white shirt.

I personally prefer the Spidey one, but that might be because I never could gather much enthusiasm for the blank promo 'mates. The little webline is what causes it to be made of win.

Those are incredible Ivan, I love 'em. Much better than my attempt:

post-560-1195051494_thumb.jpg

It's a very small pic I know. All I did was take a photo of a Spidey mate, crop him out and print it on an iron-on transfer with my injet printer at home. Your results are much, much better and way more professional. My shirt is VERY faded from being washed, the iron-on isnt very durable. I would actually pay money for yours... mine, not so much.

BS

Thanks everyone. The black shirt is starting to grow on me. :) It does have a certain charm to it.

I'd like to make these available to others, but I get all my knowledge on Intellectual Property Law from Wikipedia. (Can elephants really peel a grapefruit faster than any other mammal?) So I'm afraid to poke that dragon. I'm hoping the fact that I created the images will prevent DST's (or worse, Marvel's) legal team from suing me into the stone age. But if threadless.com can sell a shirt with Darth Vader pruning a tree and not face the wrath of Lucas's mighty ninja lawyer clan, why can't I do something similar. Is the Vader image considered parody? I know mine isn't. More research is required.

On the other hand, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

Pretty nice results I think. The only problem is it's a white shirt. Nothing wrong with white, I just prefer dark shirts.

Have you looked at cafepress.com? You can do dark shirts there. Earlier this year I did some shirts, hats, etc through them for a diorama project that went to Star Wars Celebration IV. I didn't order any product myself, but I everyone who did said they were happy with the results. Your Spidey image looks like it would work fine. You may want to check that out.

E>