UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DVD Discussion

neolego

So, what about you guys, anyone pick up Transformers? neo

I know that I'm an outlier in the online community today for saying this, but I'm not buying Transformers today, or probably any day for that matter.

However, I'm actually kind of interested in the Director's Cut of Hollow Man coming out today. Though the original was flawed, I enjoyed it for what it was, and I have heard that the original cut by Verhoeven was something worth seeing. Anyone planning on seeing this one, or has anyone heard anything about it: good, bad, or indifferent?

bah... this!!!!! this is the movie to own.. doesnt come out til the 30th.. but THIS IS THE MOVIE TO BUY

61gEgX69rmL_SS500_.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never got how that movie is supposed to be a sequel to this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119791/

Oh, well. . .I gotta say, though, you want to see a movie about Russians, go see Eastern Promises! Cronenberg proves once again why he is a filmmaking God among mere mortals. So much so, that that movie overcomes the bad accents and everything!

Never got how that movie is supposed to be a sequel to this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119791/

Oh, well. . .I gotta say, though, you want to see a movie about Russians, go see Eastern Promises! Cronenberg proves once again why he is a filmmaking God among mere mortals. So much so, that that movie overcomes the bad accents and everything!

actually its a sequal to this

same title different movie... as for it being about russians.. its more about vampires and witches and magicians and such..

Bumblebee pissing on John Turturro

If they just had a DVD feature that let you delete awful, out of character, waste of framespace, scenes.......I'd be a happy camper :D. neo

Bumblebee pissing on John Turturro

If they just had a DVD feature that let you delete awful, out of character, waste of framespace, scenes.......I'd be a happy camper :D. neo

I have mentioned this twice on these board already, so I don't want to, y'know, beat a dead horse. But that kind of cheap, juvenile, mind-numbing crap meant to play down to the absolute lowest common denominator (see also the extremely racist stereotype of a black character in the TF movie played by Anthony Anderson) epitomizes all that Michael Bay is about to me. And ultimately, Bay's many, many drawbacks far overwhelm any positives that the movie brought to the table, in my mind.

Sure, he can make stuff blow up, but that's not all there is to action, and that certainly is scarcely enough to make up for the fact that he doesn't understand drama, timing, comedy, or human behavior generally. Using slow motion all the time does not, in itself, mean that you are creating drama. I will take accidental, but well-meant, cheese like Hollow Man, an Ed Wood movie, or Costner's the Postman over empty, pretentious, corporate garbage like Pearl Harbor or Transformers any day of the week. . .but, you know, different strokes for different folks.

• 2 weeks later...

All the BumblePEE talk got me sidetracked - - let's get back on topic!!

Two Words:

Spider-Man

Three

So, who picked it up? I am still a little bummed that it's Blu-Ray only as I'm completely opposed to Blu-Ray. I'll just have to settle for my 2-Disc Special edition......but man, I'd really KILL to have a HD DVD version! As for bonus, who picked it up at Best Buy? I got a Black Spider-Man mask :blackspidey: with mine!!! I was a little disappointed though, it's a "Child's Mask".........honestly, I didn't see ONE 10 year old standing in line to buy Spider-Man 3. That's dumb, but either way it is a cool little prop. Now I just have to find a dummy head to display it on...... neo

I won't be buying the theatrical version of Spider-Man 3. I loved the first one and maintain that 2 is one of the best films ever made, period. But, the third one is just a mess. I really hope Raimi gets to release a longer cut that allows for more character development, particularly with the villains. There is SO MUCH going on in that film; it needs an epic runtime to handle its epic story.

My alternate wish would be for a cut that doesn't have Venom in it at all, but I know that ain't gonna happen!

• 1 month later...

Is anyone going to pick up the super-deluxe briefcase version of Blade Runner? It comes with a toy Police Spinner that just might be large enough for a Minimate to fit inside:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bl...alallver04.html

If it is, then I'll have to break down and splurge on the set!

The complete series' for cult faves Twin Peaks and My So Called Life are being released today, as well, if anyone is interested. . .

I know this is, now, old news but this is the first time I've seen the post. Could you tell me if the US release includes 'Fire Walk With Me' . I've never been given a definitive yes or no before. Thanks.

Is anyone going to pick up the super-deluxe briefcase version of Blade Runner? It comes with a toy Police Spinner that just might be large enough for a Minimate to fit inside:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bl...alallver04.html

If it is, then I'll have to break down and splurge on the set!

I don't know for sure, but judging from that picture alone I would say it isn't going to be big enough for a Minimate. It looks almost matchbook size (maybe a little bigger). However, I hope I'm wrong for your sake :).

As for Blade Runner, I am counting down the days. I will just pick up the 5-Dics HD version, I'm not too interested in the Suitcase edition. Seems like an awful lot of money for popcorn extras, the real meat comes from the Discs and getting a 5 disc set for $30 on HD DVD is going to be AWESOME! I can't wait. neo

I know this is, now, old news but this is the first time I've seen the post. Could you tell me if the US release includes 'Fire Walk With Me' . I've never been given a definitive yes or no before. Thanks.

According to the reviews on Amazon.com, it isn't included due to copyright issues. The movie was released by New Line, whereas the series is released by Paramount.

According to the reviews on Amazon.com, it isn't included due to copyright issues. The movie was released by New Line, whereas the series is released by Paramount.

Thanks for that.

• 1 month later...

Justice League: A New Frontier: I had a chance to watch the screener tonite, and gotta say that I was pleasantly surprised. I am not a big DC Comics fan at all, so I wasn't expecting much. I know who most of the main characters in the DC universe are, but know very little about them (except Batman and Superman). I bought the Superman: Doomsday dvd when it came out and liked it quite a bit. The new Justice League dvd is even better. You'll see everyone from Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Flash to Aquaman, Green Arrow, Blackhawk and more. I don't know how closely it follows the comic when it reveals the origins of Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter, but since I never read the comics, I didn't care. After seeing the movie I will probably hunt down some Hal Jordan Green Lantern comics. If anyone wants some info on what the movie is about just let me know and I will post some info.

Justice League: A New Frontier: I had a chance to watch the screener tonite, and gotta say that I was pleasantly surprised. I am not a big DC Comics fan at all, so I wasn't expecting much. I know who most of the main characters in the DC universe are, but know very little about them (except Batman and Superman). I bought the Superman: Doomsday dvd when it came out and liked it quite a bit. The new Justice League dvd is even better. You'll see everyone from Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Flash to Aquaman, Green Arrow, Blackhawk and more. I don't know how closely it follows the comic when it reveals the origins of Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter, but since I never read the comics, I didn't care. After seeing the movie I will probably hunt down some Hal Jordan Green Lantern comics. If anyone wants some info on what the movie is about just let me know and I will post some info.

New Frontier does follow the origins quite well. The Green Lantern part is spot on even down to having the alien GL leaning against the rocks thats is exactly like the comics.

I'm not up to scratch on Martian Manhunter origin..(hits wiki) Ok according to wikipida the origin in the animation is basically right the main difference being the whole area 51 locked up sequence.

Having not read the new frontier comic I'm unsure how closely it follows but either way its a good watch I too rate it above the supes/doomsday animation but I do like that too.

In my opinion the animations that have been appearing lately are what superhero toons should be and there are some good ones out there. I'll try an list what I can remember

Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2

Iron Man

Dr Strange

There are 2 hellboy animated movies as well which are worth looking around for if you like the main hellboy movie.

The above mentioned DC Superman/Doomsday and Justice League New Frontier.

Also I think they are called Stan Lee Presents which are 2 animated movies on new characters Mosaic and El Condor

but these I think arent as good as the other movies listed

Speaking of animated Superhero films, who will get Gotham Knight? I wqnder which villains will be in it? I'm personally thinking Man-Bat.

I've not heard anything about this. Is it Timm/Dini Batman or that crappy The Batman?

I believe that Gotham Knight will be the next DC animated film to be released after "A New Frontier." There is supposed to be a trailer of it on the "New Frontier" disc. I don't believe that a release date has been set yet. From what I understand, it will be a series of short anime-inspired toons, similar in some ways to the animated Matrix DVD that came out a few years ago (in that different segments will be in different styles, and will tell different kinds of stories). It is supposed to take place in the Nolan-Batmanverse of the films, in between the first and second movies. I believe that Bruce Timm is involved (he is listed on imdb as the director), but there really hasn't been much info released on this, I don't think. All that I know comes from aintitcoolnews.

Speaking of animated Superhero films, who will get Gotham Knight? I wqnder which villains will be in it? I'm personally thinking Man-Bat.

I've not heard anything about this. Is it Timm/Dini Batman or that crappy The Batman?

Neither. It's supposed to be after Batman Begins and before Dark Knight and in continuity with those. It will introduce new villains and bridge the gap between Begins and Dark Knight

and CRIPPLER, I don't know about release.

RAD, you've got to give The Batman a second chance. I did, and I don't regret it. While it's not in the same league as BTAS, it is a worthwhile show. Just a heads up for folks into Smallville. Wal Mart is blowing these out at $19.99 including the last season. I'm not sure what's going on, but any season disc is worth that price. So don't be like me and learn the hard way, get them while they're in stock :P