UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Graham's Customs.

Graham

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have seen this in the Charitymates II thread, but I'll post it up here for posterity anyway, my Minimate bald eagle. This was an interesting one to make. The head was from Hawkman, with the beak re-sculpted on. I modified the feet and made the wings from scratch.

BaldEagle.jpg

This commission of Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid. The base is a BSG pilot suit, with sculpted hair. The face took quite a few attempts to nail but I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

SolidSnake.jpg

Finally a little more Photoshopping of my earlier Count Dooku custom.

CountDooku2.jpg

awesome work!

the bald eagle may be a little better with the legs backwards so as to have the bird/chicken legs :D but scarecrow and gordon are perfect. i marvel at what it must've taken to do the face detailing on the commish!

EDIT: whoa, the solid snake pic just loaded and it's similarly great. he even bears a resemblance to colin farrell!

Edited by lastmaximal

That Bald Eagle is awesome. The sculpting is brilliant! Real nice work, as usual.

That Solid Snake is stunning. Whoever is getting that is one lucky guy. You've really captured the character well. Your scuplting and painting skills never fail to amaze me.

Keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hulkbuster Iron Man, another commission. I hardly have any time to do my own customs these days, not that I'm complaining :biggrin: . In this case, I'd started the custom a while back so most of the sculpt work was done. The figure is a 2.5" Minimate, with Gandalf the White hair (beard cut off and put on backwards) and cuffs, cut-down Kilowog powerhouse chestpiece and a couple of other sculpted additions. The shoulder pads are Lego parts, and whilst they might look a little too raised, they don't block shoulder articulation much. The gold is a yellow wash over silver paint.

25HulkbusterIronMan.jpg

Incidentally, has anyone ever varnished over Games Workshop yellow ink? I tried it once and the ink just smeared off, but that may have been because the ink was directly onto plastic, rather than paint. I just thought I'd ask before I wrecked the paint job on this one.

Edited by Graham

Hulkbuster Iron Man, another commission. I hardly have any time to do my own customs these days, not that I'm complaining :biggrin: . In this case, I'd started the custom a while back so most of the sculpt work was done. The figure is a 2.5" Minimate, with Gandalf the White hair (beard cut off and put on backwards) and cuffs, cut-down Kilowog powerhouse chestpiece and a couple of other sculpted additions. The shoulder pads are Lego parts, and whilst they might look a little too raised, they don't block shoulder articulation much. The gold is a yellow wash over silver paint.

25HulkbusterIronMan.jpg

Incidentally, has anyone ever varnished over Games Workshop yellow ink? I tried it once and the ink just smeared off, but that may have been because the ink was directly onto plastic, rather than paint. I just thought I'd ask before I wrecked the paint job on this one.

Awesome! I love Iron Man!!!!

I finished these customs earlier this week, better close-up pictures will follow. Until then, here's a group shot of my Avengers.

Avengers.jpg

Wasp - uses 24 Nina Myers hair and the head from the woman in the Rocky 2-pack. The wings are made from the Rocky 4-pack packaging ;)

Thor - only a temporary until I can get the proper one. Head from a 24 set, hair from Power girl, boots from Rocky 2, black crotch, legs from New Avengers Captain America, arms from Hawkman. The hammer is made from a Buffy Palz candlestick with a couple of Lego 1x2 plates stuck on top.

Namor - C3 Bruce Wayne hair, Miniseries Baltar head, crotch from DCD Robin. The torso is from Hawkgirl, with the muscles painted on. The feet are normal Minimate feet, with ankle wings originally from Golden Age Flash's helmet. The trident is Aquaman's.

2.5" Hulk - already shown.

Captain America - New Avengers Captain America with Sentry head and Golden Age Flash boots.

Spider-man - Ultimate Spider-man with C3 feet.

Iron Man - no changes

Hawkeye - has Rocky's head for no reason other than I needed Hawkeye's for another custom.

• 3 weeks later...

I started this Joker ages ago, back when the first picture of Heath Ledger from The Dark Knight was released. Now we have a better look and someone wanted me to make one for them I had the means and motivation to neaten up the face a bit. The torso is painted over DCD Joker's, the arms and jacket are from DCD Joker, and the legs and hands from Chemical Warehouse Joker. The knife is Bullseye's and the hair is fully sculpted. Poor old Voyager Optimus!

TDKJoker.jpg

S1032802.jpg

This commission is of Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman from 'American Psycho,' but he passes very well as a movie Bruce Wayne if need be. Jacket is from C3 Bruce Wayne, hair painted over Deathstroke's.

S1032812.jpg

I guess you can't really call it a Hall of Armours when there's so few in there, but here we go anyway. Most of this is made from two Batcaves and Mega Bloks Spider-man 3 stuff, with some Lego in there too. This is very much a first draft, I expect to be changing it as I go along. Also you can catch a glimpse here of my in-progress Civil War Spider-man, Modern Iron Man and Stealth Iron Man. Here's the long view - not very full yet, but room for up to 16 Iron Men.

IronManHoADisplay.jpg

Side view. Upstairs is mostly unused at the moment, not sure what to do with this.

IronManHoASide.jpg

The somewhat boring exterior.

IronManHoAExterior.jpg

The desk, with computer and Tony's works in progress.

IronManHoADesk.jpg

Suiting up. This can be tilted back to form an operating table-type thing.

IronManHoASuitingUp.jpg

Spidey isn't finished yet, but is finished enough to get away with doing this...

CivilWarSpider-man.jpg

Feedback is always welcome, as well as ideas for expanding the Hall of Armours.

As an aside, normally I'm happy to take commissions, but I'm going to be working at a summer camp in New Jersey from a couple of weeks off until September so won't be able to. If I've already started a custom for you don't panic, it will be finished, but I just can't start anything new, sorry.

Edited by Graham

It's great. You're Spidey has the arms that should have been on him in the first place! Good Job. :D

I love the table Tony can lean back on...I don't even think the exterior of the lab looks all that boring.

After this year's many Iron Man releases, I'm sure the hall will fill right up! ;)

As an IronMan geek I'm going to say that's awesome, it looks cleaner than the one I built because yours isn't such a mish mash of brick colors ( I blame that on my only building from batcaves.

Also what set did the 'girders' the seperate IM come from? they are a perfect height for mates

Also interested in a closer look at that SIM, I had the same idea and was toying with making one from a ECC mate but eventually decided to stick with 100% comic accurate armors, very cool looking mate though.

oh and I love that Movie Joker...

Some great photography too...

*stops gushing* ;)

T.

Man, I'm really liking the Christian Bale Minimate, and the Hall of Armors is cool. But like Timbo I'm really digging the Stealth Iron Man - can we get better pictures of him? And would you mind if I stole borrowed the idea from you? :)

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I'll try and answer a few things, pictures will follow soon.

Chazwinski - Yeah, I left plenty of room for this year's additions! Spider-man's tentacles are twist ties with a bit of sculpting for the claws.

TBT - Must admit I was kind of hoping you'd have a look at this, as your Hall of Armours was definitely an inspiration for mine. As far as the comic accuracy, I don't read comics and wasn't particularly a fan of Iron Man until the film this year, so don't have much knowledge about the whole thing.

The girders are from a SM3 Mega Bloks set, which apparently never existed as I can't find a link anywhere! It had Spider-man and Venom and was a sort of abandoned Oscorp factory/worksite (not the construction site final battle set). Must have been some kind of exclusive, though I picked it up cheap. I think the piece crops up in a couple other of their sets. The girder height is about right for a normal Minimate, but anything with a bit of extra height like the Civil War IM wouldn't fit under there. I didn't realise this at first so had to rebuild half the thing again.

Boyd - I'd be honoured if you stole my SIM idea! He's just an OMAC, with the hips filed down (which I still haven't finished as my file is blunt). I initially tried to have a Stark face painted on the blue head underneath and the OMAC helmet (fin cut off), but it didn't really work.

A better view of the desk.

IronManHoADesk2.jpg

"Yeah. I can fly."

IronManHoAFlying.jpg

The operating table, flat out. No idea why the Leader's on there!

IronManHoATable.jpg

A couple of boxes of useful stuff.

IronManHoAboxes.jpg

As requested, here's better pics of Stealth Iron Man, and one of Civil War Spidey. Link here for a picture of Spidey's back.

IronManStealthSpidey.jpg

My updated Green Lanterns. I was challenged to make Chaselon and was pretty stumped at first. Not sure how much of a Minimate this is as the body's been extensively changed. The legs were cut off above the knee and tentacles sculpted on, with C3 feet at the ends (so he can stand up, not because the character has feet). I attached plastic straw to the ends of the arms and sculpted out the ends of the tentacles to a point. The body is Penguin's, with the mohawk, face and belt(?) sculpted on. Here's a link to Chaselon's back. In case you were wondering, the poseability is shoulders, elbows, hips, waist.

ChaselonGLs.jpg

Thanks for posting pictures of Stealth Iron Man. He's a really impressive Minimate.

But that Chaselon Minimate just blows it away. Great job putting together someone who I would have doubted could be done as a Minimate.

Thanks for posting pictures of Stealth Iron Man. He's a really impressive Minimate.

But that Chaselon Minimate just blows it away. Great job putting together someone who I would have doubted could be done as a Minimate.

Bwa Ha Ha Ha! Chaselon is beautiful Graham.

I love it.

Well, as I mentioned I'm going away for a couple of months, so no customizing for me for a while! I thought it would be a good job to finish off my WIPs and take stock of how many customs I actually have. So here we go...

First up, the 'Ultimates'. I know that these are hardly comic-accurate, I just had a load of BSG pilot suits left and thought it would be a cool idea for using up spares. Named characters include Wolverine, Hulk, Bruce Banner, Wasp, Nick Fury, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow, and there's a few generic SHIELD troops in there too. Hulk was an attempt at a better Movie Hulk, but he fits in there well enough anyway.

Ultimates.jpg

Continuing with a Marvel theme, these are all the Marvel 'mate customs I still have. To qualify for the photo, they had to at least have some repainting or re-sculpting on them (I missed out a lot of simple part-swap ones). Previously unseen on this photo are Thunderstrike, Spider-man, Daredevil, Peter Parker, Doctor Doom and Tony Stark. Spidey has a sculpted web-shooting right hand, which can be seen better on the full group shot photo.

Marvel.jpg

Same rules as with the Marvel, all my DC customs. New entries include Vic Sage Question, Mary Marvel, Man-Bat, Tim Drake Robin, Poison Ivy, Aquaman and STRIPE.

DC.jpg

Finally, just about every custom I've done that I still have. I've obviously done a lot more than this and traded them away, with the Smallville, Green Lanterns, earlier Iron Men and so on. I count 66. Or 65, not sure :P

Everyone.jpg

Edited by Graham

• 1 month later...