UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

cylonchaney's vehicle customs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

My lack of comment in this thread is not relative to my absolute love of it . Stunning work .

Thanks. It's always nice when someone likes your work.

I stalled and got a bit side-tracked designing a part to hopefully reduce wobble in one of my printers. It's another hobby of mine, keeping my crappy old first printer running and trying to improve it. I could buy one for peanuts now that would print better quality out of the box. But where's the fun in that?

I'll be back to it before too long though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say a big thank you to Kor. Klingons are not known for their patience. And he has been a constant volunteer test pilot through all of these ship designs, all the while never complaining that he had to walk home. As a reward and a thank you for all his hard work me and the boys at the Multiverse Vehicle Factory chipped in and got him his own set of wheels. Here's to you Kor.  Thanks for all your hard work buddy. Be careful drag racing with those Federation rich kids!

20240123_000238

20240123_000634

20240123_000735

20240123_000807

For those unfamiliar with Klingons, he's absolutely over the moon. You can tell from his expression.

It's a tiny bit bigger than it should be to pose with the Enterprise. But I think it's close enough that I will probably just publish as is.

20240125_110908

Stickers are up. There's another one done. Thinking about what my next project should be. I was thinking about a movie Enterprise for Admiral Kirk. Maybe a shuttlecraft. There's always the Aliens dropship project lurking in the background.

I've been thinking about more wheeled vehicles. If I build myself a customizable 4 wheel base, it could be used as a starting point for a number of vehicles. I've also thought about Minimatizing some Joe vehicles starting with the HISS.

My gut says shuttlecraft. The way I work, I can make a trek shipyards project. Pretty much every Federation ship has similar looking nacelles, for example. And a saucer section is quite common. Even when I was playing around there was a lot to share between the Enterprise and the Reliant.

We will see what inspires me next I guess.

18 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Wow !!

No suggestions from me about your next project :no:

-blimpheadsmate

LOL I bet my (not so) psychic powers could reveal your thoughts on this.

I have concerns about working on anything where the line is active.

I'd hate for DST to not make a vehicle because "Look at all these 3d printed ones they've already made".  Maybe my ego is way too big there. LOL My vehicles aren't exactly burning up the internet. But I've yet to make one for an active popular property.

On the other hand, maybe if one was popular enough they might make a factory one seeing that there is demand. Idk. I'd happily move forward if I thought that might be the case. Barring any feedback to support this idea I'll probably continue to try to fill holes in inactive lines though.

I'm not worried that I might have killed the market for classic Vipers and Cylon Raiders. I'm pretty comfortable that DST were not about to release those but killed their project because of me. :)

It goes the other way too. I recall when Minimates were more popular, people lamenting that they had a custom in the works and we got a factory version before they could finish. Much less of a concern with vehicles, but still. I'd hate to just finish my turtle blimp and Zach announces a new partnership and vehicle deal. LOL

No attempt at humour in the following , I'm deadly serious :-

I'm occasionally caught out by my Englishness on a predominantly American forum so I need to be specific & I do not intend to be patronising in the following daydream .

In the UK it is a tradition at Easter to gift kids chocolate 'Easter eggs' , I am unsure whether this is traditional in the US ,if it is then skip the next bit ...or the whole post if you like :mellow:

A chocolate Easter egg can be just about any size but generally it is a standard size , about the size of an adult's hand & consist of a thin shell of chocolate . These are then wrapped in ornate aluminium foil & thence into generally beautifully ,themed,printed boxes . These are 'big business' , BIG business. 

Often these eggs contain 'whatever/gifts/chocolates' .....an idea that a US company called Kinder make by the million . I don't live in the US so I'm unsure whether Kinder do eggs this size .

So in my daydream Nickelodeon are approached with this idea , they make an Easter egg ,which is in essence a TMNT Blimp , an ornately foil -wrapped incarnation .  

I leave it to anybody left reading this post to guess what I'd pack inside the chocolate egg !

4 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

No attempt at humour in the following , I'm deadly serious :-

I'm occasionally caught out by my Englishness on a predominantly American forum so I need to be specific & I do not intend to be patronising in the following daydream .

In the UK it is a tradition at Easter to gift kids chocolate 'Easter eggs' , I am unsure whether this is traditional in the US ,if it is then skip the next bit ...or the whole post if you like :mellow:

A chocolate Easter egg can be just about any size but generally it is a standard size , about the size of an adult's hand & consist of a thin shell of chocolate . These are then wrapped in ornate aluminium foil & thence into generally beautifully ,themed,printed boxes . These are 'big business' , BIG business. 

Often these eggs contain 'whatever/gifts/chocolates' .....an idea that a US company called Kinder make by the million . I don't live in the US so I'm unsure whether Kinder do eggs this size .

So in my daydream Nickelodeon are approached with this idea , they make an Easter egg ,which is in essence a TMNT Blimp , an ornately foil -wrapped incarnation .  

I leave it to anybody left reading this post to guess what I'd pack inside the chocolate egg !

Yes. We have Easter and chocolate eggs.

Kinder eggs are not allowed in the US. They will confiscate them at the border. We are allowed them in Canada.

Are you sure it's a US company? It would be funny if it really is, and they can't even sell their eggs there.

https://fee.org/articles/why-these-popular-chocolate-easter-eggs-are-banned-in-the-us-despite-being-legal-almost-everywhere-else/

Pretty sure Kinder is owned by Ferrero. They are an Italian company. I used to have them all the time in Italy. They changed the packaging there. The packages are halved: one side has the egg and the other a creamy confection. They sell this style here in the US as well. 

early5

early6

Just to give you an idea of scale, that Klingon ship is about the same length as the Minimate Enterprise. The dropship will probably gain a bit more length at the front as well. It's going to be pretty big to carry my mini APC. I mentioned this way early in the thread when it was theoretical but to carry the DST APC, the dropship would have to be absolutely huge.

I'm not sure yet how I'm going to implement the hinges. But those weapon pods have to extend. That's an absolute must! :)

Edited by cylonchaney

early10

I really like how this one is coming together. Still more work to go than you might think but I can tell it's going to be a good representation. Lots more detail plus 6 hinges and a fastener to design.

For the cargo ramp, I'm planning to put a couple of hinges at the back. The front will be a simple twist lock disguised as some kind of detail on the bottom hopefully. Like a turnable cam. In closed position it blocks the ramp from coming down. Turn it 90 degrees and the ramp can open.

Perhaps I can come up with something like slide switch or something more sophisticated. Any armchair engineers out there reading.  Do you know a good method to close and lock the front of the ramp that will be easy to design and look good?

All 4 weapon pods will be hinged and deployable.  The canopy will open to hold a pilot (probably just one :(). The cargo ramp will come down. Since the landing gear is visible when retracted, I'll probably just do deployed and flight versions. I'm hoping to do individual removable missiles. The rear pod ones may have to be just a molded block. We'll see.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas for added play features that I haven't incorporated?

Edited by cylonchaney