UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got wave 11 yesterday. Here are some of them, and some of their buddies.

post-1827-1226689188_thumb.jpg

This Zartan and Pyramid of Darkness Snake Eyes are definitely in my top 5 25th Joes at this point. And the Para-Trooper. Wow, what a ridiculous character. And the orange and blue?! With all the excessive "kibble" and useless pouches, he's like a Rob Liefeld dream come true.

Edited by karamazov80

Got wave 11 yesterday. Here are some of them, and some of their buddies.

post-1827-1226689188_thumb.jpg

This Zartan and Pyramid of Darkness Snake Eyes are definitely in my top 5 25th Joes at this point. And the Para-Trooper. Wow, what a ridiculous character. And the orange and blue?! With all the excessive "kibble" and useless pouches, he's like a Rob Liefeld dream come true.

argh I gotta stop looking at the Joe thread! Everytime I do I am forced to buy some more Joes instead of minimates. Actually untill the 25th anniv line came out there wasnt much else in the toy world that could rival my minimate addiction. Now I have a fairly sizable Joe collection building!

Jeff of the Miniacs

• 3 weeks later...

No, I had the points and he was less than $5, so i went ahead and ordered 2 Docs. I took one and am displaying him MOC. I don't think the other will even be coming out of the case. I'm very unimpressed with him. Though what's funny is I can only hear Blaster when I look at him. :P

My roomie opened his and said he'll give me his star case for my pimp daddy destro. Yay, Destro is cased!

Okay, so I went back to biglots, giving serious and hard consideration to get some of their stuff for diorama purposes. They've got a swamp fortress trype thing that just screams Dreadnoks. Maybe after Christmas...

• 1 month later...
Can somebody tell me what Gi Joe Resolute is? I saw pics of the figures recently, and have no idea what they really are. Are they just new costume designs?

It is a new series of cartoon shorts, similar to the "Clone Wars" cartoons shorts from a few years ago. Not sure when they will come on yet, but they will be "adult" in tone. It is written by Warren Ellis, and characters will shoot real bullets, die, etc.

is the video we got of it from comic con.

If it's supposed to be more real life, then why are some of the costumes so bad? The pilot Destro is hideous. I love the new trooper look, but that doesn't excuse Destro.

You are tapping into one of the constant dilemmas I have with the argument for more "realistic" versions of children's shows. People on the GI Joe boards sometimes bitch and moan about how "childish" and "unrealistic" the original cartoon was compared to, say, the comic books. I once got into it with one guy there, because I said that I thought GI Joes shouldn't die. He responded, "it is really stupid and unbelievable to suggest that members of the military won't die" etc. etc.

But I always come back to the point you bring up, GH: you've got a guy with a shiny metal head, ninjas, guys who change color in the sun, genetically engineered emperors, etc. How realistic can this really get? I like "adult" themed stuff from time to time--even "adult" updates of stuff I liked as a kid, such as Dark Knight, and I understand some people wanting the characters that they liked as children to "grow up" a bit along with them. But at the same time, when you step back and look at it, it is all pretty silly to try and make a "realistic" incarnation of a comic book or cartoon character, when you juxtipose it with fantastic ideas that can only exist in fantasy. In some ways, you can never have a guy running around with a bat suit or a shiny metal head without it being somewhat ridiculous.

By the way, GI Joes shouldn't die. That is dumb.

I really don't like my toys based on a cartoon to look real. It just doesn't translate well. I just think that Destro could have been done better in this style and I assume there will be more characters like him that will fit in this category. I've heard a lot of complaints about the Storm Shadow from Resolute, but I kind of like it (kind of).

And I'm all for GI Joes dying, but only if it's lousy characters that I don't like. For me, I always wished one of the Joes had bullet between Chuckles eyes. No court would convict on that one.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the Robot Chicken Dr. Fumbels skit recently? It wa classic.

I don't even hear the shots...

Edited by groundhog7s

I really don't like my toys based on a cartoon to look real. It just doesn't translate well. I just think that Destro could have been done better in this style and I assume there will be more characters like him that will fit in this category. I've heard a lot of complaints about the Storm Shadow from Resolute, but I kind of like it (kind of).

And I'm all for GI Joes dying, but only if it's lousy characters that I don't like. For me, I always wished one of the Joes had bullet between Chuckles eyes. No court would convict on that one.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the Robot Chicken Dr. Fumbels skit recently? It wa classic.

I don't even hear the shots...

Yeah, that is pretty funny. I think that Hama delighted in killing off the stupider characters in the comics (Battle Force 2000, Raptor, Serpentor) when he got the chance.

See, I like it when characters die, no matter who they are. It adds to the story. Or at least doesn't take anything away depending on how bad it is. Transformers is a prime example. Of course they die. It's so obvious. Something like Dinobot's death still resonates today. Same thing with GI Joe. DDP started to tick me off towards the end though. They made this huge ordeal about Recondo being killed by Bludd, yet he's alive. Same with Snake Eyes. Yet hey leave my all time favorite Lady Jaye dead? Give me a break.

Anybody else have single carded Resolute at their lcs? I saw them a few days ago and had the CObra Commander(He's blue single carded) and a Cobra Officer in my hands, and I just got Cobra Commander.

I'm waiting for the box set, just wish there were more actual joes out.

I'm actually more hopeful for this then I was for the TF movie.

Yeah, even though this guy directed the Mummy movies, at least he didn't direct Pearl Harbor. But, we should remember that. . .he did direct the Mummy movies.

I'm actually more hopeful for this then I was for the TF movie.

Yeah, even though this guy directed the Mummy movies, at least he didn't direct Pearl Harbor. But, we should remember that. . .he did direct the Mummy movies.

Thank you. Listen, while you're back there digging up painful memories, you mind twisting the knife a little?

I HATE YOU MICHAEL BAY!

Okay, sorry.

Apparently the Joe movie opens with

Duke and Ripcord delivering alien technology (!) to an undisclosed location, when they're attached by Cobra.

Can you spell crossover? HAPPY!