UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you end up getting the 5 pack, even if you already have versions of the others, I don't think you will be disappointed. The Flint is the only one released so far with gloves, the Lady Jaye is the best yet, IMO (no hat, tab collar, better spear than the Revenge of Cobra version, cartoon colors), and the Shipwreck is cool, though a lot more comical looking than the previously released one (this one seems to be an update of the original figure). Works well if you are more a fan of the cartoon than anything else (as I am). Polly is also in a different pose.

Really, the only useless one here is Hawk, since they didn't change much of anything from the carded release. This set was well worth the price.

in this article TNI says there is a new box set of 7 figures coming out and that these packs will be available at the same retailers as the extreme conditions packs from 2008. does anyone know what those were?

I do (in fact, I think we discussed this here a few pages back), and if this is the first that you have heard of them, being a Joe fan, you will probably be pleased.

post-1827-1238387040_thumb.jpg

Nuff said :buttrock:

The Joe pack is a completely automatic buy for me. I can't wait to see how Wet-Suit and Ripcord look with all their gear.

You did talk about it a few pages back, but you never said where they could be found. I have heard online retailers only but I read that they would be distributed thought Previews? that means i can get them at my LCS??

I misunderstood. I have no idea if those will be available through previews. They were marketed as an "internet exclusive" pack that was primarily available through BBTS and Entertainment Earth, I believe.

thanks, was not the answer i was hopping for.

any ways i just picked up the latest cobra boxset. Totally awesome. sure its only re-makes of figures that are already out BUT they actually remade them in a good way. for example cobra viper's hands a fixed! cobra commander's fist is gone and has 2 open hands! baroness no longer bow legged! storm shadow's break between hand and arm is at the wrist not the fore arm. i did not get zartan so i don't know what is new about him. but the rest are really cool! and almost make you regret getting the 5 pack 2 years ago. not really they come with different people

Were there different versions of the single-carded Zartan too? I've seen one with a flesh-colored face and one with a green face...

There were a number of variations on "wave 3" Zartan--some had the color change sticker, some didn't, some actually had the color change feature without the sticker (green face=color change version), some didn't. However, there were two later single, carded Zartans, which were major improvements on the first. As with Snake, they had new sculpts and new combinations of parts. However (thankfully), no color change feature when you stick him in the freezer. The Swamp Skiier is ridiculous, though:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBra...20&ID=22595

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBra...31&ID=23764

GI Joe is probably always going to be my first toy love :)

Hey K, you can probably help me with this:

Are there any Joes in Suits besides the Comic Con Cobra Commander?

Hmm. . .not that I can think of off hand in the 25th style. One problem with Comic Con CC was that his body was actually the body of an unreleased Indiana Jones figure (Toht), and the neck joint is way too big for the regular Joe heads. What this means is that it isn't that likely that a new figure will come out with that body since it isn't uniform with the others. It also sucks, as I planned on using two to create variations on the CG twins before I found out about that.

However, when the Joe movie figures come out, you might get such a figure:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.cinematical.com...edestro-(2).jpg

Or, given that the new trend across toy lines and companies is to do articulated 3 3/4" figures, I'm sure some toy out there has a reasonably compatible suit body (WWE Mr. McMahon? Dark Knight Harvey Dent? Someone from Golden Compass?).

It looks a little small!

Works great, if you are using it appropriately:

P1010669-1.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

I thought the TF movie was shit wrapped in crap, doused in hatred, fed nothing but stupidity, and then THAT defecated to created it's own brand of shizno, which in turn was shit.

And I still am holding out hope that the Joe movie won't be bad. :)

Whenever you are a fan of something that then becomes a movie, 9 times out of 10 your expectations of what will be produced is higher than reality and you'll be disappointed. I found that when I'm watching a movie based on comics (or toys) or a sequel to something I like, it's easier to have no expectations. It lets you watchi it objectively and has made most things I watch enjoyable.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy GI Joe and Transformers. TM2, you just need to set the bar low with these. Maybe very, very low (somewhere in the world-championship limbo range).

In theory, I agree with Groundhog, but I honestly can't imagine liking a movie like Transformers no matter what it was called. Obviously, I wasn't expecting my dream Transformers movie, in fact, I was expecting it to be what it was for the most part, but I was hoping that it would have some redeeming qualities. I didn't laugh once at Bay's "humor" (often based on stereotyping minorities. . .or pissing on actors that I like), I thought the script and dialogue were lame, I didn't enjoy much (if any) of the action sequences, I couldn't tell what the hell was going on at the end, when the Transformers were rolling around on the ground fighting (?) each other. From what I recall, the only things I really liked were Megatron and Prime's personalities.

But having said that, I really enjoyed Punisher. My expectations for GI Joe couldn't be lower, so there is a minor chance that I will enjoy it. But, I doubt it.

And I still am holding out hope that the Joe movie won't be bad. :)

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach...tachmentid=4373

You were saying? :P

In theory, I agree with Groundhog, but I honestly can't imagine liking a movie like Transformers no matter what it was called. Obviously, I wasn't expecting my dream Transformers movie, in fact, I was expecting it to be what it was for the most part, but I was hoping that it would have some redeeming qualities. I didn't laugh once at Bay's "humor" (often based on stereotyping minorities. . .or pissing on actors that I like), I thought the script and dialogue were lame, I didn't enjoy much (if any) of the action sequences, I couldn't tell what the hell was going on at the end, when the Transformers were rolling around on the ground fighting (?) each other. From what I recall, the only things I really liked were Megatron and Prime's personalities.

Can... can I hug you?

Whenever you are a fan of something that then becomes a movie, 9 times out of 10 your expectations of what will be produced is higher than reality and you'll be disappointed. I found that when I'm watching a movie based on comics (or toys) or a sequel to something I like, it's easier to have no expectations. It lets you watchi it objectively and has made most things I watch enjoyable.

I find this works well in every area of life, not just with movies, and generally leaves me a lot happier.

Having said that, I'm not a big enough Joe fan to have expectations for the movie -- and yet everything I've seen from it points to awful. And I mean just as a movie, not a Joe movie specifically.

Back on the topic of the figures...

My daughter begged me for a Scarlett figure tonight & I bought one for her. I was very surprised at how soft the plastic was on this figure. The weapons fall out of the hands pretty easily and who decided to make the crossbow two pieces? It's always falling apart!

The weapons with moving parts is kind of cool in theory, but with some of the Joe weapons (particularly the crossbow and Gung Ho's grenade launcher or whatever it is), it's just a pain. Fortunately, Hasbro mostly moved away from that stuff for the later figures.

What about the plastic? Are they all that rubbery? As you can tell, I'm getting to the party a little late and that Scarlett is my first one bought. It's the one in the blue skydiving gear too which I thought was a later release. I was looking at a Cobra 5-pack yesterday too. I noticed that Storm Shadow's leg must've been screwed together too tightly because the seam was separating above and below the screw area on his upper leg. This Scarlett seems to have a similar thing going on.

K, I know you open at least some of your 25th Anniversary Joes. How would you rate the quality of the figures overall? At $7+, they should be pretty good!

Edited by handsomedevil

I was very surprised at how soft the plastic was on this figure.

Girls are supposed to be softer :thumbsup:

I can't speak for karamazov, but I've got 100+ of the 25th Joes myself (all open) and I don't really have a problem with most of them. There's a few where I don't like where the arm cuts are or the hands are weird, but for the most part they're okay. I'd say that $7 is about a $1 too much for them, but it's become consistent with current prices (of course, most of those prices are on other Hasbro toy lines). The DVD packs and 5-packs are a much better deal (if you don't already have the figures in the sets).

Edited by groundhog7s

The quality is generally very good, and the price is worth it if you can avoid the unavoidable repaints. The "soft plastic", well, they're never going to be Minimates or Transformers. Think Marvel Legends or Star Wars. SW is a good basis imho. Especially the VOTC ones. If you like her, I'd say go for it. Also, I might recommend the 5-packs that are out. Not the Resolute one, or the VvV repack, but the one with Hawk and the new Baroness. At $25 that works out to $5 apiece. And seeing as how you don't have any of the characters, it's a double bonus.