UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ye Olde Thread of Randomness

AdyCarter

I was attracted to the overall design and aesthetic of the figures, then got hooked on customizing, and now I stay because not only are these little buggers addictive and endlessly collectable, we've also got a great membership that makes this (as many have said) the best place to spend time online.

But if they start selling Minimates in Second Life, I'm out. :biggrin:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Minimates? Cuz Kubricks, Stikfas, & Shockinis SUCK! :lol:

Hear, hear!!

Glomit

Why do I like Minimates?

It started with My daughter and Spider-Man. She loves Spider-Man. So, while a the comic store, she wanted the Spider-Man Minimate. I bought her one. I decided what the heck, I like Rogue, So I bought her too.

And it grew and grew. Before I knew it, I was hooked. Let me rephrase that, Both my daughter and I was hooked. It really snuck up on us.

So, now why do we like Minimates.

The answer is just simple.

We just do :thumbsup:

Why do I love minimates? Well, they're customizable, they're better than Lego and other stuff, They're poseable, and you can never have to much. MINIMATES FTW!!! :thumbsup:. Now give me my prize :verymad::lol: Just kidding.

Or am I?, ...:::Halo11701:::...

Minimates are an amazingly simplistic design that had endless possibilities, there are almost no limits to what can be recreated using this simple geometric pattern of cylinders and rectangles that make for great figures to pose, play with or customize. They're not just enjoyable for the serious collector or comic fan and they can be enjoyed by all types of people from the child playing with them to the people collecting their favorite super heroes. There is no limit to Minimates, there's nothing that they can't be applied to and it gives the unique chance to have figures be completely uniform but also brilliantly diverse. I love Minimates because of their design, their endless possibilities, their details despite their size and their versatility; Minimates are a revolution in figures and an amazing realm of possibilities for consumers and manufacturers.

Why Minimates? A better question would be why NOT Minimates? Long has man pondered this probing query. I recently started collecting them when I purchased the Darktide set from Target and lucked upon a four pack of Street Fighter Minimates at Toys R Us (on clearance for $3 'cuz someone spilled paint on the box, score one point for Minimates: a great deal I didn't expect to find), a grand yet small start to a collection and bringing about a second point in favor of Minimates: the multiple licenses. Just with the eight figures I have I can re-enact my favorite battles from the Marvel Vs. Capcom series. What other collectible offers characters from Marvel, DC, independent comics, manga/anime(Street Fighter is close enough and Speed Racer definitely counts), the sci-fi of Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica, Lord Of The Rings, and other properties we geeks just love to love? Point #3: Minimates are insanely playable. Add 14 points of articulation packed into two inches of figurine to the (newer) C3 feet offeringcross-playability with Lego and you've got hours upon hours of fun to be had. The figures are also an amazing value for the cost, consider the points I've made (along with your own reasons for liking them) and compare it to the price, $5-7 a two pack (depending if you get them at major retailers or pay a premium at specialty shops), that's a heck of a value compared to pricing on other figures! The design of the figures are also top notch, even the simplest paint app ends up looking great. Not to mention the inifinite customizability (is that a real word?), you can frankenstein together a variation of your favorite character or, if you're feeling saucy, full customize an as-yet-unseen character you want (I plan to do so myself if I can stock up on FCBD blanks). To summarize, Minimates are great because:

1. value!

2. selection!

3. fun!

4. more value!

5. customizability! (new word!)

6. I just wrote a mini thesis on how awesome they are, does that not show you the awesomeness?

Thank you and goodday, gentlemen and ladies of the forum.

/neatly orders index cards and leaves the podium

Why minimates? Where else do you get so many characters from so many different genres, all in the same scale and design? Maybe you can have your Marvel legends square off with a few DC Directs, but you can't have Spider-Man, Batman, Witchblade, Speed Racer, Captain Kirk, Ryu, Rocky Balboa, and a couple of Cylons all beat the hell out of Tony the Tiger? And despite the tiny size, minimates are more articulate than just about every other figure of the same or similar scale. Lego, Megablok, Kubrick, they all lack the elbow and knee joints, and the fully moveable heads and torsos that Minimates provide. The standardized design allows for easy customization, as you don't have to sculpt new bodies, new heads, or new limbs to make the figure resemble what you wish to accomplish. All you need is some paint, maybe a few decals or some Sculpey (should you wish to make accessories) and you have your very own Dr. Strange, T-1000, or Captain Jack Sparrow. And finally, what other figure offers giveaway blank figures? Get your hands on a Free Comic Book Day or Wizard World blank, and you have yourself a nice collectable or a blank slate to making the figure of your dreams. In fact, these giveaway blanks have proven popular enough for companies to get their names on them for advertising purposes. Art Asylum, ADV, and Bad Apple Comics are but a few of those to plaster their logo on the front of a minimate.

Minimates are a rising stock in the toy business. As more licenses come on board, there's nothing but bright skies in the minimate future.

why minimates?

cuz my wife started it for me....she bought me the Gene Simmons one when they first came out cuz I am a big KISS fan....then when the Marvels ones hit I had stopped collecting toys by then, but after seeing these and how much they rocked she bought me the Hulk/Banner 2 pack for christmas....Ive been hooked since then.....and I stuck with them even through the drought of last year cuz what other toy collection can you have hundreds of toys on only a few shelves...thats a HUGE draw for me....and the more diverse of an assortment we get the better it is for my new animation passion :):):)

Jeff of the Minis

If you'd asked me a year ago why, I'd say all the same as everyone else; the size, the same scale for different licenses, the price, etc. Now, though, it's about quality time with my boys. I have six year old twin boys who discovered my mates about six months ago and fell in love with them. One likes to roleplay with them (usually just the women) and the other loves taking them apart and making different combinations with them (hopefully a future customizer in the making (or maybe a plastic surgeon)). It's neat for us to sit around the table and just play. And every new one I get through a trade or in the mail or at a store is shared with two people who appreciate them as much as I do. That's something I had with my dad to an extent and it's neat to pass that on to my kids. And with my wife pregnant with another boy, maybe I'll be sharing for awhile longer.

Why do I love minimates? Well that’s a hard one. I actually don’t care about or even really dislike some of the properties yet I still want the minimates from that line. It may be because I love the size and the points of articulations shoved into that size, or maybe because nearly anything works as a minimate, or is the frustration you feel when you lose a foot or a weapon- no it definitely isn’t that one, maybe it’s the fact this is the only line where you can take a Cyclops figure out of the box bust out the paints and have made a C-3PO by the end of the day, or maybe just maybe it’s because you can make some stupid as heck looking guys in a matter of minutes. Well I don’t know which one it is or all of them, I can’t say there’s just something about them.

For me, it's the Minimate aesthetic that has it's hooks in me. There's something about the look and feel of these figures that compels me. For some reason, the angles and proportions just seem "right." I guess I'll have to break out my micrometer this weekend and see if there are any golden ratios in the Minimate design. :) There has to be some mathematical explanation... It must be defined... Beauty is truth, truth beauty. :D

Well, my story is pretty plain, I blame the following person's for my Minimate addiction: Shanester, Cappy, AA(For announcing the C3/DC line), My Wife and various other members from the very old AA Forum :tongue: As most who have known me for a number of years remember, I joined AA when they announced the Star Trek license, then the AACC :rolleyes: Well when we hit a dry spell there, I was already helping out members get the Mates that weren't showing up in their areas. One day I was out getting the 10 pack TRU's Minimate for either Watcher(old AA member) or She Hulk, I can't remember? But the Mrs. thought they were neat and wondered if I wanted one for myself? So I said sure and it was all downhill from there, Marvel, LOTR, C3, it didn't matter I was either trading or buying sets to catch up with the line :lol: Now of course my 2 great loves have been joined together with the announcement of the Star Trek Minimates and the madness continues :wacko: Next....

My week and your week are different

Plus people were still posting in it

So you have a Beatles week of 8 days? Seriously though, when does your week end? And I take it #45-49 (at least) will be removed from the random number generator for the puprose of selecting winners. Thanks.