UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lammily: The anti-Barbie™!

MisterPL

Seems like every few years, someone tries to offer a doll for girls with more "realistic" proportions. This year gives us Lammily, a doll that's already been successfully crowd-funded and is due to be released this November.

"She's just like us!" Yes, 20 pounds overweight on the average. Yippee.
The first time a little girl has trouble getting those tiny pants over that "average" butt, she'll bury her frustration in a gallon of Chunky Monkey. Barbie™ is built like a stick for a reason; she's easier for kids to dress.
I'm all in favor of variety but I'm tired of reading about how Barbie™ is such a horrible role model. If your kid is looking at plastic figures as role models, there are bigger problems in your home.
Now where's my Couch Potato Ken™, dammit?

I erased a whole long post about this... I’ll cut to the important points:

-This is still A MAN telling little girls they should be defined by being THIN (that doll is in no way ‘fat’, she’s more realistic in portion but she’s still skinny) and WHITE to be PRETTY (I’ve not seen pictures of the doll in any professional outfits, only basic and workout clothes so the only message it implies is ’this is what a normal girl looks like’)... how is it on a fundament level different than Barbie?

-Little boys ONLY play with muscular super men. Wrestlers, Batman, the Avengers, He-Man if you’re old school, GI Joe, and the Ninja Turtles are WAAAAY more ripped than any 15 year old I’ve ever seen. Even the ‘workmen’ figures like cops and firefighters are shredded like lettuce. Where’s the ‘hero’ “artist” stepping in to make “slightly over weight with average muscles Batman with a sign that says ‘I have an average dick and that’s okay’” so little boys don’t feel bad about THEIR body image.

-it’s so f**king dumb it’s called a “Lammily” because the asshole who created it is named Nickolay Lamm. Why not call it “Nikki” that’s actually a girl’s name.

-I just bought this for niece for her birthday next week: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Wo0SGGpmL._SY300_.jpg it’s SOOOOO goddamn cute! I will continue to poor money into Monster High because they’re cute, stylish, and monsters for both me and hopefully my niece (if she chooses to go down the darkside and keep loving ponies and princesses more, I’ll support her in that) they might be horrifically skinny (I have one that’s a literal skeleton) but I feel they promote more then just ‘LOOK LIKE THIS!’: the importance of friendship, the importance of being yourself (each doll has their own fashion trend and color palette to reflect this), also as an artist I *LIKE* stylized proportions and a good design sense over slavery to realism. I just hope she won’t develop a complex because she’ll never be a pink vampire.