UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Mighty Avengers (African American) focus Minimates

I would like to see a Mighty Avengers Minimates set or series. Even and all female set or series on XX marvel X-men#1(where it's all female). Doing some research , I know there was a indie mate with all females. This is great. I would like to see more of a mix on my minimates as far as race and gender. I haven't found a topic like this on the search feature. If so, can someone direct me to it? I want to try and discuss if anyone else wants this Mighty avengers made or if you want to see more minority minimates. I would sure support more minority and female minimates. What do you guys think?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always looking for diversity in my collection. Just yesterday I was thinking about asking DST for an Isaiah Bradley Captain America Minimate.

As for Mighty Avengers, Diamond reportedly said the first issue was under-ordered by retailers. That doesn't bode well for merchandise based on the book but hopefully it'll pick up enough steam to warrant a box set. I know I'd be interested.

STK618965.jpg?f6a06b

Interesting. I don't think we have really discussed race or anatomical sex with regard to box sets or waves. I realize that the majority of super hero characters are Caucasian and few are female, but I would hope race could be left out of the equation. An all female box set out of the Marvel Franchise would be cool and probably not a stretch to put together.

I seriously doubt you will find anybody here who says they would NOT like to see an assortment of Mighty Avengers Minimates made. New characters, old characters who need an update... I didn't even know the book existed, and now I want one!

I'd have to really go back and look at what we've put out, but I don't think race has ever affected our character selection with Marvel. When heroes wear masks, it is not usually a factor, although we generally reflect what's in the comics, and when averaged out over the years, minority characters are still a minority in the Marvel U. I'd be curious to see our numbers, although I was certainly happy we had the first Miles Morales figure. That said, an all-minority assortment would only ever be done if it made sense from a universe standpoint, and this seems like the first time it would.

However, I doubt we would try an all-female Marvel assortment any time soon, since there are established buying patterns for superhero toys at both TRU and specialty, and that pattern includes children, mainly boys. (The Femme Fatales sets didn't blow the doors off, either.) But I think we are pretty good about getting at least one female figure out there in most assortments, and many of the box sets. We've probably put more female figures out at TRU than we should have!

Conversely, our Walking Dead line has a lot of minority characters and women, because there are a lot of minority characters and women in the comic book. They also play a large role in the TV show. And since it's a more adult-targeted line, we're comfortable making a higher ratio of female figures, since young boys aren't generally buying these. Female survivors, of course -- our female zombie selection admittedly leaves something to be desired.

Interesting topic, and one I'm sure will not have any controversy!

The first issue was quite good and i really like the roster so i'd buy mates based on the team for sure. Then again, i buy almost every minimate release nowadays but this is one of the truly unique teams. You have some street levelers, an evil genius,a super powered being and two samurai/ninjas (white tiger AND Ronin based on the newest solicitations). And we really need a new Ronin.

Edited by Kostisfire

I'm always looking for diversity in my collection. Just yesterday I was thinking about asking DST for an Isaiah Bradley Captain America Minimate.

As for Mighty Avengers, Diamond reportedly said the first issue was under-ordered by retailers. That doesn't bode well for merchandise based on the book but hopefully it'll pick up enough steam to warrant a box set. I know I'd be interested.

STK618965.jpg?f6a06b

I would encourage you to email them and post what they say here. I also got a chance to skim on that article before posting and I know how minimates are business minded. But I hope they take a risk in the future and we can show them that we are interested in a product like this.

Interesting. I don't think we have really discussed race or anatomical sex with regard to box sets or waves. I realize that the majority of super hero characters are Caucasian and few are female, but I would hope race could be left out of the equation. An all female box set out of the Marvel Franchise would be cool and probably not a stretch to put together.

With the xx X-men #1, I would support the all female cast. We also have storm in thier, which is great because the series or box set, is mix. Also could you elaborate more when you say, race could be left out of the equation?

3020603-xmen_1_cover.jpg

If there was a time to try an all-female series of Marvel Minimates, this is it.

I think army-builders are a good way to add more colors to the box of crayons. I called Hasbro out once when they offered an exclusive set of Mandalorian figures with removable helmets that revealed they were all caucasian. The reply was that they hadn't even thought of making them any other color. It just didn't occur to them.

I'd love to see SHIELD agents in a variety of colors.

I have read the first issue of Mighty Avengers , It is really good. I like the part where they are doing super hero stuff for money. I think the Marvel Universe is in a great place right now. Thanks Zach for sharing the insite on how did the Fem Fatal turned out. And I did notice that walking dead have a lot of mix race in thier and that's because of the comics. That's what actually got me to start this thread. I saw my walking dead minimates and I looked at my marvel minimates and ask why not.

When it comes to specific characters, I don't factor in race or gender, (or any other labels people use to classify themselves or others). For me it's all about what does the line need in terms of what hasn't been done yet and what *I* want based on the comics I like. Basically, characters that have played large and/or important roles in the Marvel Universe but haven't been made and stuff like Mojo and Spiral because I think they would be insanely cool looking minimates.

Based on that, I would rather get a Banshee than have a Bill Foster Goliath. (And for the record, I really want a Bill Foster Goliath... maybe in a Civil War Anniversary box set?) Foster would add diversity in terms of race but Banshee has played a larger role overall and has more history in the pages of the comics. So it's really more about the character than the race or gender that's been the least represented so far.

But that's just for specific characters. If we are talking about army builders, then 100% yes, more diversity please. Non-white/male army builders would be great.

I wish there was more diversity among all minimates. I remember in the MAX boxset there was a Black guy and a white girl, right? That's about it, we would have basically no Asians if it wasn't for the 2 Wolverine movies.

I don't care what line it happens in, but I def want more Black, Hispanic, and everybody else over White generic characters.

Edited by WookieFodder

That Greg Land cover is... not terrible. First time I've said that about a Land cover in awhile.

The racial problem isn't really one with figures as much as it is comics in general. Both Marvel and DC have taken steps to rectify that in recent years, though DC seems to have taken a step back (witness the fate of Ryan Choi, the All-New Atom). But we have gotten figures of most everybody on that cover, with the exception being that guy with the goggles.

Hey, how about a wish list? My multicultural wave would be:

Red Wolf/Puma (Native Americans!)

Sunfire/Xorn (Asians!)

Classic Falcon/ Luke Cage (African Americans!), with maybe a Power Man redo as the variant.

That Greg Land cover is... not terrible. First time I've said that about a Land cover in awhile.

The racial problem isn't really one with figures as much as it is comics in general. Both Marvel and DC have taken steps to rectify that in recent years, though DC seems to have taken a step back (witness the fate of Ryan Choi, the All-New Atom). But we have gotten figures of most everybody on that cover, with the exception being that guy with the goggles.

Atom is a woman now, so that's fairly moot.

I think intentionally making a wave of any single ethnic group is a VERY risky move, that's all my commentary on it.

Atom is a woman now, so that's fairly moot.

I think intentionally making a wave of any single ethnic group is a VERY risky move, that's all my commentary on it.

o00o0oh What happend to ryan choi? (i'll google it). I didn't even know there were that many asians in Marvel Universe. I only really know wolverines lover. I only got into Marvel 2 years ago. As far as wish list, beside the Mighty Avengers or the XX X-men, I want Spawn(african american) and big hero 6 (asians). But spawn doesn't look that far off. We are getting Angela from the same universe-ish. I say ish because she is in the marvel universe now but she use to be in spawn. Why didn't spawn came out of the portal thing?. Hashtag #cry

I wish there was more diversity among all minimates. I remember in the MAX boxset there was a Black guy and a white girl, right? That's about it, we would have basically no Asians if it wasn't for the 2 Wolverine movies.

The Fireman in that set is Asian! Flint Chang. And if you're looking at Minimates overall, there are a lot of Asian Minimates. Half of the Street Fighter and Tekken lines are Asian, I believe. Heck, I think the first eight Minimates ever released were Asian (Bruce Lee and Crouching Tiger).

And while our Marvel line may not reflect the modern-day Asian population of the Marvel U., it's probably not too far off from the old-school ratio, where there were a lot of bad guys and a few heroes (yes, we need to make more). But the truth is that most Marvel characters are (or were) blond dudes. There was a hilarious graphic in an old issue of Marvel Magazine that said that the "master race" was alive and well and comprised the core of the Avengers. They used the same blond head shot for Hank Pym, Steve Rogers, Clint Barton, John Walker, Jim Hammond and somebody else. They're trying to balance things out, but the core characters are the still the core characters.

I'd actually have fun dividing every Minimate up by race and gender, and counting them, but I'm sure it will come out overwhelmingly white and male. Besides, I think that's the opposite of what we're supposed to be doing nowadays. tongue.png

Big Hero Six would make a lot of sense with Disney creating an animated feature starring the group.

As far as Mighty Avengers? Monica (Spectrum? I can't keep up...), new Power Man, Luke Cage, Blue Marvel. Boom. mmm maybe switch out the last one for She-Hulk.

With the xx X-men #1, I would support the all female cast. We also have storm in thier, which is great because the series or box set, is mix. Also could you elaborate more when you say, race could be left out of the equation?

Yes, what I mean is that I think character selection should be chosen and based on fan/buyer demand/interest. I don't think a set of toys should be put together just because they are based on racial minoritities. However, the fact that this group of characters just happen to all be racial minorities means nothing to me. I like the team and I would buy the Minimates if made.

I had black GI Joes and white Gi Joes, as a kid. I didn't think of them as racial majorities or minorities. They were just my toys and I would like to keep it that way.