UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Back in Black

MisterPL

I hope they do reissue it. It's unfair that characters like Spider-Man 2099 or Ultimate Spider-Man got regular releases while the best known Spidey variant had to be a chase figure.

What I think will happen is that they'll do a movie black-suited Spidey - the normal-looking Spider-Man costume in shades of gray - as part of a Spider-Man movie wave. With re-issues of Venom, Green Goblin and Mary Jane, maybe?

I'm not really gonna get my hopes up because I'd kill to have a "black costumed" Spidey. I just can't bring myself to spend the money to get one off Ebay (at least not yet). But if they do in fact find a loophole of some sort, I would be a very happy plastic-crack addict, er, minimate collector.

I don't understand why Ultimate Spidey's minimate incarnation lacks so much detail. I mean, he has zero web-design... Beats me...

They did that to distinguish between Ultimate and regular Spidey. In the very early going of Ultimate Spider-Man, he wore a wrestling costume that lacked all of the web lines, etc. It's that costume that his minimate counterpart wears. I guess a Spidey with more cartoony eyes was out of the question as an option.

A black Spidey for the summer or fall release is a no-brainer. I'm sure they could figure out a way to make him different enough from the original release. It's only a matter of time, people!

sounds like I've posted this pic before ;)

Probably, but even if you hadn't, we can always count on Lurch to toss a picture up where no one else can find it. For instance, where's that picture of the minimates dressed like the Fruit of the Loom characters? :)

As for Spidey's black duds, if we don't see the Symbiote Spidey with the hook-line hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Symbiote Spidey with no details painted on the sides (or maybe back). I doubt highly that we'll see a movie Spidey, since LEGO has been notorious for holding the license to the Spidey movies.

Hey, C3 feet and the diamond shaped spine (instead of the circular one in the older waves) constitute a whole new figure, right?

Not really, it's more of a re-issue. Look at the GSXM Target packs.

P.S. I want a Black Spider-Man sooo bad! And I don't mean ethnic... ;)

Does DST even have the license for the Spider-Man 3 movie? Wouldn't surprise me now due to X3 and Ghost Rider Minimates. My understanding is that movie licenses are seperate entities from the normal Marvel license, and how the movie licenses become a part of official waves baffles me but I'll accept it since I'll blindly buy it anyway. If they do have it, we're getting a movie black costume Spidey. Otherwise, the loophole will have to be grab-line black Spidey! But honestly, if we don't get a movie version of black Spidey, I think DST will cave in eventually and just reissue the original black spidey. Times change and one can't always adhere to the rules of the past. Maybe they will also update Venom to his current look in the comics with the human eyes. I just hope something is done with the Spider-Man 3 movie, that's all.

Totally disagree that they will cave in and rerelease black spidey.

They've always said they will not rerelease the chase figures ( by that I mean those released as waves 1-13).

What would be cool is a dark slate grey Spidey with webbing on it in black to look like the movie Spidey.

Having said that I dont want a spiderman 3 wave... we've got a sandman, venom and black spidey already.

T.

Gotta side with Tim on this one. I don't want a Spidey 3 wave/line. We've gotten all the major players in the past, be it Spidey, Sandman, Venom, MJ, Gwen, and so on. I also don't see them rereleasing the original black Spidey. All that said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see a Spidey related wave hitting around May. I just know it'll be smart business wise to release something movie related. We may see a Venom III (Gargan), an updated black Spidey, an all sand Sandman, an updated Goblin, or something like that, but you can pretty much kiss the variant goodbye.

That was one of maybe three variants that I've disagreed with over the years. The costume was too popular for such a limited release. To be honest, I'm surprised we didn't see a crappy Scarlet Spider variant back during the obscure friends of Spider-Man wave instead of Spider-Woman II. Makes much more sense to release obscure costumes and long-dead characters to popular costumes and major players. Like the time we went over to Shelbyville during the war, I wore an onion on my belt....which was the style at the time...you couldn't get those white ones, you could only get those big yellow ones.................now where was I?........oh yeah, the important thing was I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time, you couldn't get those...

Rambling on aside, mark my words, we'll see Spidey in some form, just not the original release.

Totally disagree that they will cave in and rerelease black spidey.

They've always said they will not rerelease the chase figures ( by that I mean those released as waves 1-13).

Timbo, I totally agree with you, but I also think it would be too easy to make a minor modification and release this Black Spidey figure as a "new" figure. Look at the "grab line", "Maskless", & "battle damaged" Spidermans already out.

When I was at LEGO last December, they indicated they do not have the Spidey 3 license. Things may have changed since then, but based on the amount of MegaBlok product with Spidey's likeness, I doubt that LEGO will get the movie rights.

I always thought Spider-Man was a pretty dumb move for a construction set. Unlike Batman or Star Wars or even Harry Potter, it's not an environment- or vehicle-friendly property. I mean, why license generic buildings and cars just so you can sell minifigs?

That said I don't see Batman Lego sets flying off the shelves locally. I wonder how that property is performing for them.

When I was at LEGO last December, they indicated they do not have the Spidey 3 license. Things may have changed since then, but based on the amount of MegaBlok product with Spidey's likeness, I doubt that LEGO will get the movie rights.

As far as I know, that is correct. LEGO got the license to Spider-Man 1 and 2 through Sony, not through Marvel. (Which is why you essentially had SM2 LEGO at the same time as crappy MegaBlocks Spider-Man.) When Marvel tightened up their licensing rules, it precluded LEGO from getting the construction toy license for SM3. So unless something big changes, I would not expect to see any Spider-Man LEGO out there.