UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The five toys 'that will never be sold again'

Really, i don't see any problem with the little German toys. What we use now as models and dioramas used to be done by children. So we're looking at this and our tastes have shifted, and we say "Oh how horrible! Those aren't for children." but, really, children 70 years ago lived in a much more mature world than now. Maybe they aren't made for children, but I do kinda object to the fact that it's so hard to get Nazi anything for dioramas and such. (Old topic retread coming up in 3... 2...) But those "Jap" toys. Yeah, they're just kinda in patriotic propaganda poor taste.

That said if anyone wants a Hitler Legespiel I'll make you one. I'm good on a scroll saw. tongue.png

I am actually surprised by the nostalgia they chose to show as "toys that will never be sold again". Well, for starters, number one and number two can still be easily had by one of the modern "tin soldier" companies like King & Country, so I call BS there. The segment should have been called, "politically incorrect toys". Toys that will never be sold again are the ones that killed or nearly killed children, IMO. Jarts anyone?

Jarts helped thin the herd. I was fine with those.

It was Mattel's Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper that changed the toy world forever. Now we've got choking hazard warning on practically everything.

I agree in both cases. I had that Viper and the deadly Raider. Yet, I am still alive with both eyes and no missiles lodged in my throat.

Yea I found it a bit Meh whatever. The interesting thing for me was if I heard correctly a Jewish owned toy company making third reich toys from outside Germany to be sold back into Germany.

Yeah, what's up with that? Guys were driven from the country, then continued to make Nazi propaganda toys? Crazy.

but, really, children 70 years ago lived in a much more mature world than now.

Funny, I saw someone posting on another forum recently about how the '30s were a much simpler time, where collectibles were targeted to much more innocent tastes (making some argument about how the new Superman should be more "gritty and realistic" than his older incarnations). Personally, I don't think the world was much more mature then than now, or now than then. Just different.

I agree in both cases. I had that Viper and the deadly Raider. Yet, I am still alive with both eyes and no missiles lodged in my throat.

Laughs. . .through a muffled voice due to missile in throat, based on what I can make out of post through one good eye.