UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Picking Costumes

Liney

well... I like the more recent stuff for the most part. Otherwise Im happy with 90s design just because that's what is classic to me as that is when I got into comics and such.

Marvel Now is new and scary but I welcome change. So... that's me :)

I always prefer the classic looks. Some looks, like the blue/white FF are also favorites. I'd like to have an updated yellow DD, but I like my red one just fine too.

If and when we get Falcon, I'm going to be one very sad Falcon fan if we don't get him in his classic Kirby-duds. Hell, I'm going to be downright heartbroken. And a classic green/orange variant would be the icing on the cake!

Anyway...

I feel like, at this rate, it may be likely we see the Cap movie/Ultimate version before we see the classic version. Hope I'm wrong... maybe the classic version would be a variant...

Nope. Chris Claremont was writer. John Byrne took over as penciler towards the end of the Phoenix saga, but never handled writing to my knowledge(though he did plot out the original Alpha Flight story I belive)

Gotcha. I probably got confused because, like you said, everyone calls it that.

I still hate it. I like his costumes before it, I like his costumes after it, but that plain blue & yellow is just the ugliest, most unimaginative thing ever, in my opinion.

I always prefer the classic looks. Some looks, like the blue/white FF are also favorites. I'd like to have an updated yellow DD, but I like my red one just fine too.

If and when we get Falcon, I'm going to be one very sad Falcon fan if we don't get him in his classic Kirby-duds. Hell, I'm going to be downright heartbroken. And a classic green/orange variant would be the icing on the cake!

Anyway...

I feel like, at this rate, it may be likely we see the Cap movie/Ultimate version before we see the classic version. Hope I'm wrong... maybe the classic version would be a variant...

well hes gonna be one of the main characters in the new Avengers cartoon so maybe that will help boost his popularity enough to warrant a classic costume

Byrne starting co-plotting the X-Men pretty soon after he started on as artist, though I believe it is true that he was never the "writer." And though he wasn't responsible for the "all new, all different" looks, he was responsible for the single most important costume in Marvel's storied history:

xPvkkag.jpg

Also, those nifty blue and white FF costumes Glantern is referring to. Which in my mind, definitely fits the bill as "classic."

Edited by karamazov80

Byrne will tell you that he was doing more then co-plotting; Claremont will tell you he was doing less.laugh.png

Byrne starting co-plotting the X-Men pretty soon after he started on as artist, though I believe it is true that he was never the "writer." And though he wasn't responsible for the "all new, all different" looks, he was responsible for the single most important costume in Marvel's storied history:

xPvkkag.jpg

Also, those nifty blue and white FF costumes Glantern is referring to. Which in my mind, definitely fits the bill as "classic."

I'm sorry, K80, it looks as if you accidentally posted a picture of Wolverine when you meant to post Steve Ditko's Spider-Man costume. Do you need some help with Google images?

My query with this debate is ... what counts as 'classic'?

Is it the first costume someone is seen in? Is it the one they wore the longest? is it the one most people know the character by?

I mean - i don't think anyone could argue against Cyclops' FA gear being listed as classic, but he only wore it for 25-30 issues. His X-Factor era Blue uniform with the big yellow/white X is rpetty iconic and well known too & was worn for something like 60 issues.

But if it's recognition we're going for, i think the majority of people would recognise him in his 90's Jim Lee duds (or maybe even his Movie-verse gear?) more than any other costume.

I personally like a mix of costumes because i like to see all the various incarnations of teams from over the years displayed.... if i had to, had to, had to pick - i'd probably always go classic..... but then that opens up a huge debate between DST & fanboys about what is the definitive classic look for each character.

Edited by Nessex

Classic is what you define it to be, I guess.

Byrne will tell you that he was doing more then co-plotting; Claremont will tell you he was doing less.laugh.png

Yeah, pretty much! biggrin.png

I'm sorry, K80, it looks as if you accidentally posted a picture of Wolverine when you meant to post Steve Ditko's Spider-Man costume. Do you need some help with Google images?

No. Maybe you need some help with good old common sense. Obviously, the brown/tan Wolverine I loved in my childhood is much more historically significant than some wacky, forgotten novelty act from the early '60s.

I typically go with either the costume they wore when I first read the character, or the best 'mate version. For example, my X-Men are almost always the 90's era costumes, but if I really like a 'mate that represents a costume of a different era, I'll go with the best 'mate.