UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rarest Minimates?

kaipo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should actually be more AIM guys out there than any other army builder though, as he was packed in Wave 28 AND TRU wave 5 (or there abouts)

If I were a moderator I'd ban me from this thread for being a pedantic ,boring old fart but you'd miss me .....wouldn't you ? huh.png

The AIM guys arrived with Wave 25 (not 28) which was notoriously difficult to obtain ,quite why has never been adequately explained but I reckon it involved TRU & their newly developed relationship with DST . ......I have no proof but I could hold a decent argument as to why I believe that.

So......with regards to rarity Wave 25 always 'felt' rare in comparison to many Marvel waves & I used to think that maybe one production run was shared between TRU & the LCS wave ,bear in mind that the AIM/Cap set from the contemporary Wave 3 (not 5) was described on the packaging as an 'exclusive' although both figures found their way into wave 25 (?) . Latterly I have become totally convinced that there was no 'sharing' purely because there were in fact 2 'runs' of the same AIM guy ohmy.png ,I'm not saying there are two distinct versions but I know there were 2 runs . TRU wave 3 War Machine is also subtly different from the Wave 23 version ,the Wave 3 Wolverine is subtly different from the Wave 28 Wolverine ,the wave 3 Sabretooth is subtly different from the wave 28 ..............need I go on ?

TRU Wave 3 is unique & got all the attention due to the relatively rare Moonstone/Bullseye pack but IMHO it is the rarest wave of all ......i'll concede however that very few people would give a damn & I certainly don't blame you biggrin.png

Edited by buttheadsmate

Correct me if I am wrong, and the database, I believe, doesn't back me up on this, but doesn't the AIM guy from TRU come with a different colored set of weapons? I feel they were the slightly bluish version, not black like wave 25.

Hail Ivan!

You can look at my "wants" list and see what is rare (hard to find rare). I too get a little miffed when I see collection photos and the owner has a dozen or more AIM guys, but it is what it is. I can't say I have a definite inside scoop, but I feel confident we will see more AIM goons.

Considering how successful the army builders have been, and how far down the Marvel totem pole DST's had to go, I'm surprised that we haven't seen second versions of some of the more popular ones like AIM and Hydra. I don't know how much the former can be improved upon, but I'd love to see a new version of the latter, with a proper slipon mask.

Since I seem to be the subject of a little bit of hatred here, I'd just like to mention that my AIM collection took me months and a small fortune (or, at least my definition of a fortune) to build. It wasn't a flaunting of possessions that led to me showing off my AIM guys as much as a simple love for my 'mates and the excitement of photography... But to be fair, I totally get the envy/spite that some people might feel towards a collector who amasses a large number of a certain desirable figure (and I also see & feel the condescension of all those "mature" people who think that toys are for children, and who watch me with judgmental eyes as I take every opportunity available to try tracking down each addition to my favorite hobby - so yeah, it's the best of both worlds rolleyes.gif), and if anyone here feels like I've slighted them personally, I apologize. I love collecting these little guys, and it has brought me a lot of joy over the years to build the collection I call my own...

Sorry if that's a derailing of this thread. I usually stay quiet in my little corner of Lurkersville because no matter how hard I try, I can almost never seem to come up with anything relevant/constructive to add to these convos (as I'm sure is evident to anyone paying attention to anything I post) ...

Thanks for chiming in Donny. I don't dislike you for having so many AIM guys. Remember that feeling when your friend down the street got the newest Big Jim AND his Safari Camper AND his motocross bike, while all you had was the same broken Big Jim from last Christmas? Well, you probably don't, but thats how I feel about you. tongue.png More power to you. I envy what you have, but I would have the same if I could. thumbsup.gif

I started my thread http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=11156&hl=%2Bminimate+%2Bpictures+%2Byou .... sat back behind the barricades hoping for the best & expecting the worst .

No hate mail just lots & lots of supportive comments.

I just love pictures of massive amounts of minimates ,we all do .

The most liberating thing I've done in years & it's a thread I'd love to revive one day

I rather enjoyed that thread myself, but I never felt like I had enough of a collection to merit posting my own stuff there (imagine my surprise upon seeing a photo of my AIM 'mates in a thread of people talking about being miffed at other collectors huh.png)

I guess I should note that I'm not feeling persecuted in the slightest (if that's how I came across). After years of being thought of as weird by family and friends for collecting toys, I've developed a thick skin for words like 'hatred' and 'miffed' in context of collecting. I have no idea what Big Jim is, but I get what you're saying (especially now, since my income doesn't seem to stretch nearly as far as it did in the days that I was building my AIM army. I actually had to stop being a completionist and drop a few lines. I can no longer afford to army build or even make it to my local TRU as often as I'd like. So I've missed out on many awesome mates that I'd love to have - thus putting me in the "broken Big Jim from last Christmas" camp wink.png)

So to try bringing this back to the point of the thread... I guess I'd throw in my 2 cents under the "perceived value" umbrella. To me, a 'mate is worthwhile based on its appeal, regardless of numbers produced. I'm one of the few who never got into the Walking Dead (though I've been keeping up on the show), so the difficulty in finding those rare/scarce mates never phased me. But a Marvel comic-based mate of lesser rarity/scarcity might make the top of my priority list, thus making it more "rare" in my own perception.
(not sure how my opinion works into the conversation, but there it is thumbsup.gif)

Hey Donny,

Sorry if it seemed like I was targeting you. I literally googled aim minimates and your photo was first. I don't hate you at all, like Shanester said if I could have your AIM army I would in a heartbeat. If anything, props to you for building a solid collection!

Hey Donny,

Sorry if it seemed like I was targeting you. I literally googled aim minimates and your photo was first. I don't hate you at all, like Shanester said if I could have your AIM army I would in a heartbeat. If anything, props to you for building a solid collection!

Clapping%20Hands.gif

The Doctor Who Character Building figures have some rare characters which are allegedly produced in numbers of 100,250 & 500 figures . Bear in mind that some Minimate figures have been produced in numbers of around 500 then you might agree that minimate collectors live in the real world when it comes to what we'll pay . This is an example of a limited to 500 figure ,just an example but it is by no means an unusually high sum when you study 'sold prices' ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/doctor-who-character-building-11th-doctor-in-tuxedo-super-rare-/321074329831?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item4ac18578e7&nma=true&si=epabhJ0Balc0lFFJe0pIuYdqNn8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I thought I was nuts .

Yeah BHM, the Kubrick collectors (like you) sure don't have a problem shelling out big bucks for a figure. I assume the same can be said about the collectors of the Dr. Who line.

The Doctor Who Character Building figures have some rare characters which are allegedly produced in numbers of 100,250 & 500 figures . Bear in mind that some Minimate figures have been produced in numbers of around 500 then you might agree that minimate collectors live in the real world when it comes to what we'll pay . This is an example of a limited to 500 figure ,just an example but it is by no means an unusually high sum when you study 'sold prices' ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/doctor-who-character-building-11th-doctor-in-tuxedo-super-rare-/321074329831?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item4ac18578e7&nma=true&si=epabhJ0Balc0lFFJe0pIuYdqNn8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I thought I was nuts .

Holy Toledo! Those Doctor Who figs looks so cheap too, at least minimates are quality products. You gotta have money to burn to be spending that much on one of those.

There should actually be more AIM guys out there than any other army builder though, as he was packed in Wave 28 AND TRU wave 5 (or there abouts)

If I were a moderator I'd ban me from this thread for being a pedantic ,boring old fart but you'd miss me .....wouldn't you ? huh.png

The AIM guys arrived with Wave 25 (not 28) which was notoriously difficult to obtain ,quite why has never been adequately explained but I reckon it involved TRU & their newly developed relationship with DST . ......I have no proof but I could hold a decent argument as to why I believe that.

So......with regards to rarity Wave 25 always 'felt' rare in comparison to many Marvel waves & I used to think that maybe one production run was shared between TRU & the LCS wave ,bear in mind that the AIM/Cap set from the contemporary Wave 3 (not 5) was described on the packaging as an 'exclusive' although both figures found their way into wave 25 (?) . Latterly I have become totally convinced that there was no 'sharing' purely because there were in fact 2 'runs' of the same AIM guy ohmy.png ,I'm not saying there are two distinct versions but I know there were 2 runs . TRU wave 3 War Machine is also subtly different from the Wave 23 version ,the Wave 3 Wolverine is subtly different from the Wave 28 Wolverine ,the wave 3 Sabretooth is subtly different from the wave 28 ..............need I go on ?

TRU Wave 3 is unique & got all the attention due to the relatively rare Moonstone/Bullseye pack but IMHO it is the rarest wave of all ......i'll concede however that very few people would give a damn & I certainly don't blame you biggrin.png

Yep, they were a gunmetal blue.

Was Wave 3 the only TRU wave with minimates that had minor differences from their LCS counterparts?

And more importantly, do you need both versions for a collection to be considered "complete"?

Edited by kaipo

There are a few different characters that have subtle differences but they are mainly too subtle to even notice unless you're really wanting to. Often its a different shade of colour -Movie Abomination ...or an added/missing accessory - Old Man Logan , ........I just find it interesting & the Completion Bureau won't punish you for not having them in your collection smile.png

The 4 characters in the Darktide set all had different facial expressions than their 'wave' counterparts BTW as did the wave 10 Spider-woman compared to her TRU counterpart. There's more but I forget .

Under the category of 'slight differences' (not as obvious as the Darktide or Spiderwoman face decals), the original Street Fighter release had a couple 4-packs at TRU that had different color schemes (and I don't think they were on purpose like Battle Beasts).

Back in the day, when I had more disposable income than I currently do, and mates weren't as abundant (in terms of licenses and number of waves in a year, not their market availability), I made sure to get every slight variation like the Street Fighter mates... Now? I'm not nearly as picky pinch.gif

I always wondered what caused those differences, but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know if there has been a case like that in the last few years (anyone who knows differently, feel free to correct me). Personally, the completionist that is still kicking in me loves that there are no more slight variations that I need to track down. But boy, it was a cool kind of feeling to be able to do that back then...

post-37-0-26887300-1364044536_thumb.jpg

I hate to derail a topic, but I couldn't think of another topic to put this in..I was looking at the box art for the Hulk movie minimates, specifically the Emil Blonsky/Abomination set and I noticed that the Abomination that was pictured has the open bulked-up hands that we wouldn't see for a few more years.

http://www.bullmarkettoys.com/Marvel-MiniMates-Incredible-Blonsky-Abomination/dp/B001H7YAY2

Has this ever been brought up before?

Under the category of 'slight differences' (not as obvious as the Darktide or Spiderwoman face decals), the original Street Fighter release had a couple 4-packs at TRU that had different color schemes (and I don't think they were on purpose like Battle Beasts).

Back in the day, when I had more disposable income than I currently do, and mates weren't as abundant (in terms of licenses and number of waves in a year, not their market availability), I made sure to get every slight variation like the Street Fighter mates... Now? I'm not nearly as picky pinch.gif

I always wondered what caused those differences, but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know if there has been a case like that in the last few years (anyone who knows differently, feel free to correct me). Personally, the completionist that is still kicking in me loves that there are no more slight variations that I need to track down. But boy, it was a cool kind of feeling to be able to do that back then...

The Japanese singly packed blind boxed versions threw up a few more variants, they mainly consist of head swaps & they are pretty rare outside of Japan I guess . You need to be a bit mad to want these but there are a few nutters around blush.png

Sadly I reckon we can add TRU Battle Beasts wave 1 to the list of quite rare Minimates indeed they may very well be very rare sad.png

Edited by buttheadsmate