UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kick Ass 2

undeadpool

I wasn't blown away by the first movie, but thought it was fun. I think the excessive interest lots of grown men had for the pre-teen girl was kinda creepy, though. Jim Carrey looks brilliant in this, and is the main reason I really want to see the sequel right now.

I read the first one as a series and then again bought the HC at SDCC. I never did KA2 because I didn't think it was a story that needed continuation. However, the movie looks decent. I don't know why they feel the need to make Red Mist/MFer look so silly.

• 5 months later...
My review of Kick-Ass 2

Not the masterpiece the first film was, Kick-Ass 2's story, while unfocused, brought about a logical progression from the first: where there are heroes, there will be a villain. And this villain, the Motherf**ker played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse, delivers. The mental journey we see the Motherf**ker take, from harmless kid that was shown in the first one to a cold and cruel creature of vengeance in this, is pretty fantastic and is one of the most interesting parts of the film. His cartoonish villainy (dude has a shark tank in an evil lair. Holy jeez) is wonderful to watch though his actions are dark, cruel, and painful to watch at times. Special shout out to his evil entourage, the Toxic Mega-C***s, and to Mother Russia in particular who is maybe the most merciless villain I've seen in a long time. Wonderful performance from debut actress Olga Kurkulina. Standout job with the moment of the film that rivaled Hit-Girl's entrance in the first film.

Shame the same could not be said for Hit-Girl's (Chloe Moretz) story arc. Mindy, now under the protection of her new guardian after Big Daddy (Nicholas Cage) met his end in the first, is forced out of her mask and into High School Land where she meets and confronts pure evil: the chicks from Mean Girls. Though performed well by miss Moretz, Hit-Girl's "Normal kid" story goes far too long and culminates where we all expected it to go.

However Kick-Ass (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) has a different story where he has grown tired of his normal life and longs to be back in the mask. But as his dad says, in the real world there are consequences. And the Motherf**ker is begging to bring the pain. But up until these two characters collide again, we have Kick-Ass become badass. And Johnson portrays this little tale of a mild mannered teen learning to be better in a way that nobody else could. We see the hero that lay dormant in Dave this entire time and we see how good even this moron could be with some training. And Johnson is going to need that new physique to run from Kaiju in next year's Godzilla.

Kick-Ass is not alone in his venture to be a great hero. He finds a group who were inspired by him: the basement dwelling dime store Avengers known as Justice Forever led by former mob enforcer Colonel Stars-And-Stripes (Jim Carrey) who blew every scene he was in away. The unrecognizable Carrey brings to this film a lovable character who refuses to back down no matter the enemy, no matter the consequences, and no matter what the Motherf**ker brings down. Unfortunately this wonderful performance is not long enough (less screen time than Nicolas Cage in Kick-Ass 1) and we're left with more high school drama.

In the end, Kick-Ass 2 could have done with more of its title. Though we do see some great superhero actions (including those no other movie would do. How many times do you think you'll see Thor at the soup kitchen? Genius moment) we have a too long Hit-Girl subplot dragging this movie down just enough along with a serious lack of focus on who our main character is. I don't know if I was watching a Hit-Girl movie or a Kick-Ass movie but I know which movie I wanted to watch. But for what it wanted to do, which was introduce supervillains to the Kick-Ass world, it did well. If only there was more of that...