UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Packaging, more packaging and storing.

Ok, so I know there's already topics about this but none are recent. And as self aware addicts, our collections can grow VASTLY in size over a few months, recently with Walking Dead, Marvel and everything else coming out. So I'm a brand new collector but already I'm having to figure out what to do with all this packaging, and a small San Diego apartment isn't helping me out any.

If you keep your boxes, in any form, please tell me why.

If you throw all packaging away, please tell me why.

If you keep trays but not packaging, or whatever variation, please tell me why.

Also, if you use some mass storage cases, link me, I'd love to see some cheap, roomy alternatives to the official storage cases.

I recently de-packaged some real beauties which I sent off to a member in the States ....yet I still can't bring myself to throw the boxes away ,I just flatten them out carefully & they are sitting in a nice flat tidy pile pinch.gif Trays I burn but not the later 'uniform' top covers ....why ? huh.png

Generally I'm a packaging freak but opening a fresh pack of Minimates still gives me a kick.

Buy a barn.

Buttheadsmate- There's a severe lack of barns in San Diego, near the beach, in my apartment.

I guess I can see flattening the boxes, but I don't know if I'd still want them without the trays.

hellpop- That's very direct and a valid point.

I guess I'm going to look at ikea and pottery barn or some other tacky store to see if I can find a storage solution. Keep flooding in responses guys! I want to know what everyone is doing now that collections are even larger than a year ago.

I'm sorry, I was a little more flippant then I should be. But seriously... it's trash. Saving packaging, especially packaging that's not particularly unique, is just adding clutter to your home. Ask yourself: is there any conceivable instance where this packaging will EVER be useful? If you ever move, will you actually take the time to rebox your Minimates? Just cut the cord and be done with it.

I used to keep most of my mates in the package. But it just started to take up to much space. So I removed all the mates but can't bring myself to throw them out. I have TONS sitting boxes in the garage.

Ps. If anyone wants them for a small trade I am happy to let someone else get some use out of them.

Edited by Ninja Mate

Hellpop hit the nail on the head. I used to keep them, because it was just the most sensible thing to do from the perspective of a chronic hoarder like myself. Then I realized that all the space, and no real value. . .just pointless. The only packaging I keep now is for my high end figures and statues, and only because I often sell them, and the packaging has a strong influence on value to buyers. My attic is filled to the brim with the damn things.

Back when I first started collecting (2008) I used to keep the boxes flattened in one of my nightstand drawers, after moving into a dorm and then my own place I no longer had room for much so I started throwing everything away, now I keep my 'mates in little ziplock bags, that go into freezer bags, that go into plastic tubs.

Buttheadsmate- There's a severe lack of barns in San Diego, near the beach, in my apartment.

There are one or two aircraft hangars over at Coronado that must be empty a lot of the time .....rent one.....near the beach in your new apartment. thumbsup.gif

On the other hand ,just collect TRU Minimates & buy them directly from TRU.com ,50% of the 'new' stuff that arrives.....arrives in damaged packaging....... you might as well just keep yourself warm whilst burning it *

*Rent a barn by the beach with a stove.

All of the packages for stuff I open gets tossed out, but I collect multiples that I can leave sealed and those go into storage. My job allows me to bring home the cardboard boxes that new computer monitors come in, and they are the perfect height for Minimate 2-pack boxes, and they stack pretty flat. I use the cardboard boxes from desktop computers for my Minimate box sets, which are also a perfect fit.

My basement looks like I hoard computer equipment....

Edited by youbastards

I throw my packages away because they're trash.

hellpop gets it. To the point and right on.

Once opened they have little aftermarket value and to be honest most minimates collectors are in it because we love them and not for future resale value. We may sell off subsets or parts here and there but we proudly collect them.

The packaging is clutter, plain and simple. Colorful clutter but clutter none the less. I spent the last few years dehoarding and streamlining my collections and could not be the happier for it. Get rid of all that junk, free your 'mates from their cardboard/plastic coffins, enjoy them and feel liberated! Sounds silly but you will feel so good when you do. Then go over to IKEA and pick up a Billy book case and display them with pride!

I recycle the plastic and throw out the cardboard. If there were a place around here to recycle the cardboard I'd do it, too.

The only stuff I still have in packages are recent purchases that I don't have any plastic hobby boxes to store them in just yet, so it's easier to keep 'em in their packages for now.

• 1 year later...

This is probably a strange question but:

How do all of you open the "full window" (The Walking Dead, Star Trek, etc.) while minimizing damage to the packaging? Just curious. ermm.gif

Edited by CBMM1

That's the great thing about the Marvel packaging. It allows you to open the box and play with the toys with minimal damage to the carton.

The Walking Dead packaging if often referred to as a 'Blister Pack'. Unfortunately, they're a lot hardder to open and keep looking nice.

I used to collect the old toybiz 5" X-Men line. Each card had a sketch of the character on it, so i wanted to try and keep them in tact as much as possible. You might want to try using a hobby knife to gentle and slowly pull (or cut if you ahve to) the blister away from the backing card. You can usually separate 3 sides (top, bottom & right) to help the blister to swing open from the backing while remaining attached on one side.

I don't bother so much with anything that has generic packaging. I keep all my Battle Beasts & Zombies loose, but if you wanna keep yous in the package, give the hobby knife a go. Just be warned that after a while, the glue connecting the blister to the card backing will probably deteriorate a bit, and you might find that after a bit of time in storgae, the blister will come off entirely.

Edited by Nessex

This is probably a strange question but:

How do all of you open the "full window" (The Walking Dead, Star Trek, etc.) while minimizing damage to the packaging? Just curious. ermm.gif

We don't.... If you don't tear the packaging open with "Joyous gusto to free your new miniature friends" then you're not doing it right biggrin.png

As for packaging in general I do appreciate all the art etc that goes into the packaging, esp for some of the 4 packs but don't keep packaging for anything that's opened... it's just kipple!

T.

p.s. has anyone thought of using packaging as loft insulation?