UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

PS4

undeadpool

Yeah, the lack of backwards compatibility was to be expected. After all, look at all of the "Collections" of PS2 games that have been released for the PS3, you can expect the exact same thing with the PS4.

The one thing I was surprised about though, is that the PSN games purchased on PS3 won't be available for PS4. This is why I am not sold on digital distribution as a solution. If I have to keep my PS3 hardware to play PS3 games, you better beleive I want my games on a disc instead of hoping that the PSN service will be available.

nope, my bubble is still full biggrin.png

im not a hardcore gamer and this looks like the best system ever!

Media Molecules sculpting system looks incredibly cool and based on all their past games (Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers) I expect it to really impress

also the instant game capture is maybe the coolest thing ever!

I really dont care about backwards compatibility as long as Media Molecule makes a new LBP and has the past content travel over

LOL, sorry undeadpool. As a gamer since the Atari 2600 days, I'm tired of the unnecessary crap (nunchuk controllers, social media interface, etc) that I'm being told are important to enjoying a game. Nintendo started this mess with the Wii, and the Wii U was the first Nintendo console I haven't purchased at launch since the NES! I didn't get sucked into the Move or Kinect either. The key to being a successful console isn't gadgets, it's good games.

so am I the only one who thinks Deep Down might have something to do with Ghosts N Goblins? It may be because im not fluent on everything capcom, but it would be pretty cool to have a bad ass realism sort of capcom crossover game...

Edited by undeadpool

From what i've seen i've been sold.The killzone demo was in-game and in real time (not like the killzone 2 tech demo that was "supposedly" in game) and it looked bloddy awesome!Capcom's new game engine PANDA RHEI (nice use of heraclitous's "ta panta rhei"-everything moves) looked phenomenal.Watch dogs+infamous+killzone+destiny=day one buy with all these titles.Add the ps vita cross play feature and you have one happy customer!

Edited by Kostisfire

I'm a huge fan of my PS3. It's something I love very much... but I'm not impressed with this. Not really at all. I wonder what Microsoft's gonna come up with honestly. I might actually be persuaded to switch. Unless they announce super killer exclusives that blow everything ever up.

I for one am crazy for the PS4. Yes I know you can say it`s just a shitty computer; but I got myself a decent graphics card recently and it will never be able to pump out games like Watch Dogs in the quality that the PS4 does. Sure you can get an extremely fancy graphics card for $400 but then you need a $200 motherboard/proccesor and things just getting out of hand there.

Infamous 2 is one of my if not favorite favorite games, so to see Second Son was amazing! Watch Dogs.... Sorry got to clean myself up... Killzone 3 was ok but this looks a lot more fast paced which i always better in my books.

To the anyone complaining about no backwards combatibility; Really? If you already own a ps3 that should not be any real problem. Is it that big of a deal to switch off the PS4 and switch on the PS3?

Last but not least the only real disappointing was Knack. Don't get me wrong the trailer was cute; but considering the fact that it was the first announced PS4 game it was a bit disappointing...

To be honest, I'm not impressed with this thing.

It does bother me that it is not backwards compatible (I really hate having so many systems taking up what little space I have)

If they decide that the system will not play used games, I am completely out. Being a freelance graphic designer doesn't always pay the bills so there is usually very few times where I have extra money to spend on games. Used games have been my saving grace for gaming!

It took a REAL long time for me to get used to and enjoy the PS3..........and from what I have heard about the PS4, it's gonna have a LONG wait to get any affection from me.

And a quick question and it is an important one for me, does the console have a square design or is it some odd shape my the PS3?

I think the PS4 faces the same problems many of the new tech gadgets showcased at CES face: a more cost conscience consumer. I recently attended a version of "Best of CES" show and found myself fairly ho-hum about the technology. I think the PS4 and the XBox 720 will struggle with sales this year. Here's why:

• Neither the PS4 or XBox 720 provide a new media source playback for their products. With the PS3 and XBox 360 consumers were able to use the new Blu-Ray format for HD movies. The new devices don't have an equivalent. Will RedRay USBs be the new format? Who knows? There just isn't an established format for 4K and Ultra HD yet.
  • The 4K and Ultra HD TVs don't justify the cost yet. Yes, the picture is nice but you really need to be sitting right in front of the screen or have a massive 270" TV to appreciate the clarity. And 3D still gives most people headaches.
  • Sony is going for a cloud distribution model for games and movies. I think it is a winning strategy, but I just don't think the Internet infrastructure is there yet. Anytime someone wants to watch a movie they are going to wait for a massive 4K movie to download?
  • Consumers want value. They will pay for a $1.99 iPad app game. But they really don't want to pay $79.99 for games. I do think this is where the PS4 will eventually find success though. Gamers will eventually be able to buy the entire library of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games through the cloud. But you are out of luck with that PS3 game DVD.
I suspect the PS4 Gen 1 will have a lot of bugs. The integrations they promise with Facebook, Youtube, etc. make me cringe. Every time you turn on your PS4 you will need to wait 10 minutes for the newest patches to download and install. It's bad enough with the PS3. Heck, my iPad iOS changes every two months. Hopefully the new 8 core processor can eliminate some of this with background processing.

FInally, if I've got $1300 to burn, I just wouldn't use it to buy a new 4K TV and a PS4. I'd buy a 3D printer instead. To me, that is the wiz bang new technology that is looking really cool. This is the deluxe version but the new consumer model (with $49.99 ABS plastic "ink" cartridges) looks awesome. http://cubify.com/blog/best-of-ces-2013-award-for-emerging-tech/

Edited by Jatta Pake

Jatta, the X-Box 360 doesn't have Blu-Ray capabilities but the 720 apparently will. I think Blu-Ray is still "new" enough that there's no need for a new device equivalent.

I really hate the whole social aspect they seem to be pushing for modern gaming. If I wanted to watch my friend play a game i'd be in the room with them.

I don't get it, in the long run, Sony may end up making less money because of the nonbackwards compatibility. It will also hurt a lot of the game developers, and gaming may as well dig it's own grave now, as it looks away from the weeping angels, and walks into the shadows filled with varna narava. (Doctor Who reference) And how all of my generation is acting, all we do is blow money. We spend it on useless things, and then call the people trying to save a buck (ME) greedy or poor. I just don't get it.

Edited by sky_dive