UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy question

Valo487

Guardians 'mates are inevitable. The surge in presence they'll have once their movie comes out guarantees we will see them soon. My question is, how do we hope to get them? My ideal method would be a comic-based box set with a TRU two-pack to finish them up, but I suspect DST may wait until they give us the movie versions. I typically prefer comic versions 99% of the time, except for Loki for some reason, but if we do get the movie versions first, would it be worth it to DST to give us both, especially so close to the same time, or will it be a case of "Movie 'mates are close enough?"

Marvel's last several films have stayed pretty close to the comic look for the characters, and I just don't know if there will be as big a push for Guardians as there is for Avengers, even with the movie. At the end of the day, I'd rather have comic versions, but I was curious to hear all of your takes on the idea.

I have to admit that I'm wondering if they'll get Minimates or not actually. I love the idea, but DST doesn't always make Minimates from ever Marvel movie. even with a big movie, it's still a little obscure compared to other marvel teams. Having said that, i don't think a comic based boxset would be out of the question (maybe a con exclusive or something).

Not sure yet, need to see a few issues of their new comic looks and the movie looks before I decide what I want. DnA GotG, Bendis/McNiven GotG or movie GotG. Right now I'd like to see the DnA comic GotG more than anything, but still have an open mind to the other versions. Whatever we get, I hope it's mega-lucrative for everyone involved and they give us old school GotG merchandise!

I really hope we do get 616 versions of them.

However, Zach recently mentioned that having 616 stuff out when movie stuff is out means they both hurt each-others sales.

If we get GOTG when the movie comes out, i suspect that they'll try to cash in on the recognition the movie brings and create film-verse versions. The best we can probably hope for is a comic-con exclusive like they did with the StormBreaker set a year or two back.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of actually. We got spoiled with Sif, comic and movie fans can pick which they prefer, but the Warriors 3 are unfinished, and if they get finished with the new movie it will be movie versions, understandably. The problem is, what do you do with comic Sif? She looks strange with the other Thor characters, and even though I prefer the comic looks, I display movie Sif over comic Sif all the time because she fits in better. I'm concerned we'll likely only get movie versions, and if we get some comic looks as a bonus they'll go the route of the Inhumans, where we get a few and the hope that we'll get the rest someday.

Honestly i dont care if we only get "movie" Versions of the Movie characters as long as they take the opportunity to give us a wave of Original guardians of the galaxy comic characters, Vance astro, Starhawk, Charlie 27, Martinex, Yondu and Nikki and throw in a Badoon for the army builder

On the subject of GotG, can anyone please recommend a good jumping on point for the book? Are there any collected editions for a complete noob like me?

I've never read a single issue of GotG, and I know nothing about the team other than Rocket Raccoon (thanks to MvC), but I'd like to change that!

Confession time... the whole new team using old team's name bugs me. Not knocking the new team, It's been enjoyable. But with a movie coming, it's going to cement this group as the GotG. And worse than not getting mates, Mystery, the group you and I remember fondly will be relegated to historical footnote. Oh wait, I forgot, little asterisked old issue call out boxes are passé too. So less than a footnote, a tale told by the gray bearded weirdo's who jaw with the shop owners. And that's a shame, there are some good old school GotG stories out there, particularly the Valentino issues of their 90's book.

All that said, a lot of the modern GotG designs are movie friendly. Depending on the cast, the 199999 (Avengers-verse numeral designation) mates could actually pass as 616.

But let's be honest, what you're really worried about it Rocket Raccoon and is this his big minimate break.

On the subject of GotG, can anyone please recommend a good jumping on point for the book? Are there any collected editions for a complete noob like me?

I've never read a single issue of GotG, and I know nothing about the team other than Rocket Raccoon (thanks to MvC), but I'd like to change that!

The book is restarting this month with a 0.1 issue, then issue 1 next month.

Confession time... the whole new team using old team's name bugs me. Not knocking the new team, It's been enjoyable. But with a movie coming, it's going to cement this group as the GotG. And worse than not getting mates, Mystery, the group you and I remember fondly will be relegated to historical footnote. Oh wait, I forgot, little asterisked old issue call out boxes are passé too. .

Exactly. I like the new group just fine... But they just aren't THE Gaurdians to me.

Although I think not getting mates of them in favor of the current group is somehow worse for me. If I had mates of them, I could at least play with 'eM and pose'em and have MYguys on my shelf where I'dbesureto appreciate 'em for who they are. Which I could still do anyway... But having a toy of them in the only toy line (other than Godzilla stuff) is always better.

Truthfully, I get a real kick out of having whatever minimate it is nearby when reading comics of 'em. And since I invest heavily in Marvel Masterworks, Omnibus, Classic trades and the now-defunct premiere classics line... Well, saying I have a lot of wants is a very broad generalization.

Honestly i dont care if we only get "movie" Versions of the Movie characters as long as they take the opportunity to give us a wave of Original guardians of the galaxy comic characters, Vance astro, Starhawk, Charlie 27, Martinex, Yondu and Nikki and throw in a Badoon for the army builder

Yep, this is EXACTLY what I want. I'f be happy to see a modern team too (especially that racoon that I think got mentioned on here once!) but I really like that 1970's team. My first exposure to the GotG was the korvac saga in the avengers and that remains one of my favourite classic stories.

I started with Annihilation/Annihilation: Conquest. Great intro to "modern" Cosmic Marvel (Nova, Heralds, GotG, Thanos, many, many others). Have yet to read any original GotG though.

And I have a feeling A/A:C will be a template used for the GotG movie.

EDIT: Because of what I read, this is the team i want the line up to use.

Edited by Onyx_6

I think Annihilus is "owned" by Fox under the FF brand. So it may be like A/A:C, replace the Negative Zone bug with a big purple faced, Death loving, cyberneticly enhanced, mystically inclined, Titanian Eternal. Otherwise known as Darksied with a bolder color palette.

Well Chuck does love "old" comics... maybe a little push here and there for them to Alpha Flight us some classic GotG would be in order. Maybe that's the "bug Chuck" campaign for March, since I thought we were still on Thor harrassment for this month.

I think Annihilus is "owned" by Fox under the FF brand. So it may be like A/A:C, replace the Negative Zone bug with a big purple faced, Death loving, cyberneticly enhanced, mystically inclined, Titanian Eternal. Otherwise known as Darksied with a bolder color palette.

This ^

Also, replace the Negative Zone with wherever it was the cannon fodder came from in Marvel's The Avengers. And said cannon fodder for the bug/cybernetic army. And of we see a GotG2, expect Mr. Pym's cybernetic alter ego to make an appearance! ;)

And I want to see either Ricky Gervais or Andy Serkis for Rocket Racoon. Accept no substitute!

Edited by Onyx_6

I thought that Fox lost the rights to FF last year because they didn't have a new FF movie in production yet...something in their rights agreement required a movie to be every X number of years to retain the rights.

I thought that Fox lost the rights to FF last year because they didn't have a new FF movie in production yet...something in their rights agreement required a movie to be every X number of years to retain the rights.

That would have been great but, no, they lost rights to Daredevil instead.

Rumor has it Marvel tried making a swap; Fox could keep Daredevil if Marvel could get Silver Surfer and Galactus. That may have had something to do with the studio's long-range plan for Hulk. In any case, Fox started work on a reboot so they're at least in pre-production. I'd love to see the FF under the Marvel Studios umbrella though.

Once you see what can be done in a shared movie universe, it makes the films by Fox and Sony seem... smaller.