UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spiderman #700

MiniFiend UK

If you guys and gals are tired of these meaningless Big 2 story lines, where someone dies just to be brought back with a new number one issue, then you all should read Image Comics Invincible. It has all the fun of a Super hero comic but it takes the actions of its characters and their deaths much more seriously.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read and enjoyed Invincible in the past I kinda gave up when to me the basic storyline kept repeating where he would get beat an then a few issues later power up to beat the villain. I found it to be a continual Supes/Doomsday feel or DragonBall Z.

I have read I think the first two of the group comic set in Invincible universe I think called Guardians of the Globe and that was ok but I'm not invested in the characters so not a major pick up.

The comics I do/did read are/was

Amazing Spiderman (not sure now if to continue)

Avenging Spiderman (depends on who the supoorting character is. Now with the Spidey change not sure what to do)

Ultimates

Ultimate Spiderman

other Marvel depending on whats going on at moment.

DC52, Worlds Finest

DC52, Earth2

(I have heard there is a DC52 JSA title of some sort coming so will keep an eye out for that)

Dynamite Comics, Masks

Dynamite Comics, The Spider

Any anything that take my fancy.

There are others but they depend on

I haven't been reading Spider-Man, so I had to do a little catching up to even see what the hubbub was all about. I'll say this: Dan Slott seems to be pretty well regarded as far as his work on Spider-Man, and this seems to be where he has been headed. It kind of reminds me of the return of Bucky and the "death" of Cap in that regard. Hearing about it, I thought it was editorial pushed rubbish. Reading it? A masterpiece. Sometimes the big shake-up has creative backing, and when it does it works. Given Slott's record on Spider-Man, I'm comfortable giving the benefit of the doubt.

And I too think the concept works. I don't know all of the details, but I do know that Doc Ock and Spider-Man are two top notch scientists. This works faaaaaaar better than deals with the devil anyway. (And while a nuclear bomb may not belong in the Batman universe, it fits just fine in a NOLAN Batman universe.)

bah ha ha ha - Hilarious.

For the record, i find Batman and Robin hugely enjoyable. Whether it's Poison Ivys ridiculous accent, Batgirls 'confused lip' or the brilliant one-liners from Armie, there are many laughs to be had.... some of them less intentional than others.

Those suits from the last scene, however, are particularly terrible looking. For some reason, the silver highlights look especially cheap.

Meanwhile, back on topic.... I'm not a reader of Spider-Man, so i can't say how i feel about this particular turn of events, but i will comment on the sensationalism of whenever something dramatic like this happens:

I like to believe that despite the publishing houses insistence on promotion/noise-making/re-numbering/etc... that the people who work on the comics are still artists. These are people who went to art-school or university or practiced for decades in their spare time learning about crafting images and words to create stories.

A lot of them produce work that isn't my taste - but that is true of all artists. Even when i don't like what's being made, i still have a sense of sympathy or perhaps even empathy (i dabble) with the writers/artists as i believe that they are usually trying their best to write something memorable; something moving; something interesting.

It's pretty hard to create 'something new' for the readers of a character who is already 50 years old. We might see some stories that seem like a bit of a re-hash, or that are just too fantastical to believe given the character in question. But, the alternatives are to either have the character doing the same thing over and over again, or retiring them completely.

Maybe it would be better to let Spider-Man retire with a little dignity left... but that's not going to happen while he's making the kind of money he does. but remember - he's making most of that money for Marvel, not Dan Slott.

If you guys and gals are tired of these meaningless Big 2 story lines...

This is why I've always preferred B/C-List series like X-Factor, Booster Gold, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six, Nova and Incredible Hercules. I always found it hard to agree with the anti-Marvel&DC/pro-indie approach when such great series were being published. Too bad only one remains today (although Demon Knights, Swamp Thing and Animal Man are all amazing)...

As a fan of both Miguel and Ben Reilly, I was REALLY hopeful Superior would be one of them, especially when rumors and fan theories suggested it could happen. As this doesn't seem to be the case and worse, seems to derive from a "dick move" I've lost most of my interest.

If you guys and gals are tired of these meaningless Big 2 story lines, where someone dies just to be brought back with a new number one issue, then you all should read Image Comics Invincible. It has all the fun of a Super hero comic but it takes the actions of its characters and their deaths much more seriously.

+1

Invincible is the best Superhero title out there by a long shot!

It'll be Minimates soon too, so you may as well pick it up! :tongue:

Okay

Deep breath everyone.

So unless this is a massive trick...

Peter in Ock's body dies, while Otto in Parker's body lives. So Ock has to use Peter's memories to pretend to be Peter, while promising to cut loose more as Spider-Man, with expected tragic consicences. And you really honestly think Marvel is going to leave this complex a status quo, that will need to be explained eagain very issue, in place long? Or that they would kill 616 Peter Parker permenetly?

Come on gang, we've been around longer than this. No way this is permenent. I give this "death" longer than Batman's but shorter than Cap's. And I have been reading Slott's run. It's been really solid, even some of the things I thought were lame eventually tied into other plot points a dozen issues later, which means the man has a long term plan. And knowing they won't leave this the status quo very long gives a sort of "Bucky-Cap" feel to the Superior Spider-Man. But if the idea offends on it's face, and I totally understand if it does, I'll keep an I on it and let you know when everything's back to normal.

I understand totally that the current set up that is going to be the new comic is no way permanent and it will revert to what we all know in someway to be the norm as spidey goes in the future.

After having this bounce around in my head for awhile I think my problem with what is happening is that I actually feel uncomfortable sharing this vicious spidey with my nephew and have always enjoyed before this letting him read the spidey stuff I get. I have always thought that spidey and peter show good ideals ppl can relate too, as in the power and responsibility bit.

Random thoughts:

- The Spider-Man thing reminds me an awful lot of a famous Star Trek movie plot device.

- Any big change like this ends up being undone when the new regime decides to hit the reset button.

- Batman and Robin was little more than an expensive toy commercial and therefore deserves Minimates.

<BR>After having this bounce around in my head for awhile I think my problem with what is happening is that I actually feel uncomfortable sharing this vicious spidey with my nephew and have always enjoyed before this letting him read the spidey stuff I get. I have always thought that spidey and peter show good ideals ppl can relate too, as in the power and responsibility bit.<BR>
<BR><BR>Totally get you.

But vicious Spidey is going have a copy of real Spidey's mind ratteling around inside his head, and thus Peter's guilt everytime he crosses the line. It's going to drive Otto nuts. So he won't be able to stay vicious long. In fact as Otto learns the consequences of using his power without restraint, Peter's guilt might just either make Otto a better man, or drive him to vacate Peter's body.

Spider-man has always been my favorite. Ever since the old book and record sets I had as a kid(yes, my age is showing). But I gave it up shortly after Civil War, once Quesada seemingly took out his frustrations on the title. Coudn't support it after that. So, recently, I wanted to start it again with the onset of Marvel Now. So I read #698-700. I. Give. Up.Marvel's creativity has been completely stifled by ridiculous editorial decisions such as the one that led to this completely asinine story. it' s not just that it's a bad turn of events, or bad writing. There's just nothing redeeming about it whatsoever. I thought the deal with Mephisto was bad after Civil War, but this? This is an abomination of what Spider-man has ever been.

Spider-man has always been my favorite. Ever since the old book and record sets I had as a kid(yes, my age is showing). But I gave it up shortly after Civil War, once Quesada seemingly took out his frustrations on the title. Coudn't support it after that. So, recently, I wanted to start it again with the onset of Marvel Now. So I read #698-700. I. Give. Up.Marvel's creativity has been completely stifled by ridiculous editorial decisions such as the one that led to this completely asinine story. it' s not just that it's a bad turn of events, or bad writing. There's just nothing redeeming about it whatsoever. I thought the deal with Mephisto was bad after Civil War, but this? This is an abomination of what Spider-man has ever been.

I'm curious as to how you can say this isn't creative. If anything, it's the most creative thing they've done in a long while.

And Slott is proud of it, so you know it isn't editorial.

I'm curious as to how you can say this isn't creative. If anything, it's the most creative thing they've done in a long while.

Well, I've never subscribed to the notion that shock value equals creativity. This is nothing but "Hey, look what we did! Are you shocked and appalled?" writing. There's no real substance to it. It's been done to death SO many times and both DC and Marvel. What happened to just good stories? Stories that didn't revolve around some "forever-changed!", "galaxy-spanning!", "you won't believe your eyes!" type writing. There used to be great stories, especially in Spider-Man. Now it's just the same exclamation marks over and over.

Over the next few months, or years, depending on how long Marvel drags this out, how will someone jump into the middle of this, or even new readers, without wondering why Spider-Man is now some sort of egotistical, anti-hero? Spider-Man is supposed to be the epitome of "Great Responsibility", not a murdering super-villain in a Spidey mask.

It seems the age of comics has hit a new low, not just at Marvel, but all over the place. I wrote off DC before the New 52 stuff started. Most of the good writing now seems limited to independent comics. I'm not saying Marvel is completely bereft of any talent. Personally, I've started to really like Wolverine and the X-Men. It's actually still a fun book to read. Can't say that about too many others. When was the last time any story made me just stop and go "Wow, I never saw that coming."?

Whatever happened to good, solid stories like "The Death of Jean DeWolff", "The Dark Phoenix Saga", "The Night Gwen Stacy Died", "The Long Halloween", "The New Frontier" and some of the Byrne era Alpha Flight and Fantastic Four issues?

Spider-Man has always been foundational to Marvel and now the House of Ideas' foundation is crumbling.

People don't care about comics like they used to. There's so many other outlets for entertainment that are faster and more appealing. People would rather see a movie (or play a game) about a superhero than read a comic about him/her. Is the story good? Is the story bad? It doesn't matter. Unless they make a movie about it, it'll only be mentioned by angry fanboys and girls on the forums.

And after 700 issues, Marvel is bound to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel for ideas and trying something so out there that it'll get some attention regardless if it sucks or not.

I like Spidey. I didn't plan to read the comic, but also didn't want to spoil myself until the issue hit. So after reading the spoiler articles, this is an intriguing development. But as for the way out of this...

Didn't Stark do a back up of his memory? So the current Stark has a gap when he was the Director of SHIELD which basically retconned his "evil" days. Is it possible one was made for Peter a while back too? And put Otto's into some healthy cloned body and incarcerate him? Since I don't regularly follow Spidey and dropped Iron Man before that Iron Man storyline, not sure if this is really a valid way out. But it was the second thing that came to my mind after thinking "how long is this going to last?" :P

Either way, I hope this sticks for a while. Good or bad, I want to know how this journey goes!

Well, I've never subscribed to the notion that shock value equals creativity. This is nothing but "Hey, look what we did! Are you shocked and appalled?" writing. There's no real substance to it.

To pick up on TTF's point: Out of curiosity, what makes a story like this substantive? I mean, I'd agree with you if it was something akin to what DC did when they turned Hal Jordan evil, but this is a storyline that's been percolating for literally 100 issues. It's shocking for say you and I because we haven't been reading the book for however long, but is it really that shocking to the people that have been reading? And even if it is shocking, isn't that a good thing? Weren't killing Gwen Stacey, Jean DeWolff, or Jean Grey all shocking events? I'm just very interested as to what makes this specific event less legitimate than those others, aside from the sands of time.

It's been done to death SO many times and both DC and Marvel. What happened to just good stories? Stories that didn't revolve around some "forever-changed!", "galaxy-spanning!", "you won't believe your eyes!" type writing.

You should go back and read some Marvel solicits from the 60s. Everything was some kind of Earth shattering event in the Marvel Age of Comics.