UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chaseless?

Alpheon

DCD Chases  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the fact the this line has no chases?

• Yes
    • No

If you got a john stewart that means you were at the DC booth which in turn wouldn't interest them in Marvel minimates.

yes I know full well I was at the DC booth and when its all said and done I think it is obvious I'm quite the marvelite but I do love minimate superhero figs and in the end that and information were all I was after. during our conversation I asked who he worked for and his claim was AA as liason to DC at which point I began to spout about a 2.5 hulk in the hopes my very tiny voice might filter through the cracks to the powers that be.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm against chase figures. There's just no good reason for them from a collector's point of view. The fact that Black-suit Spider-Man still eludes many a Minimate collector simply because he's destined by DST to be a chase figure just cinches it for me. It makes collecting a pain in the ass.

I can't imagine WANTING to make, for instance, a Superman Blue 'mate a chase figure.

Variants are fine so long as they're significant costume variants authentic to the source material. Batman with a grimace vs. Batman with a sneer is something I can live without.

Well Art Asylum should take a note from the marvel series, most of their variants were quite dull. A change of paint ain't what fans are looking for. A variant should have been a popular, yet new character like maybe Gambit or Jubilee for example instead of doubling up on wolverine or cyclops.

Stay Off The Variants.

Stick With Exclusives.

I agree with the current poll results.

A chase expands the collection, and makes a complete collection a challenge and more satisfying when complete. If the new DC nwave has no chases, it shortens the possible wave by one figure. We have had GREAT logical chases, that were eqivalant to new minimates.

Example: Maskless Doom, Invisible Woman, Spiderwoman, Black Spiderman, Diamond Emma

Of course, if Superman and Batman only recieved chases, it would suck.

There have been poor chases: Visorless Cyclops, DOFP Wolverine, but it still grows the collection.

If the new DC nwave has no chases, it shortens the possible wave by one figure. We have had GREAT logical chases, that were eqivalant to new minimates.

It actually makes the wave one figure bigger.

4 x 2 packs =8 Figures versus 3x 2 packs plus one chase figure = 7 figures.

Personally, I view Symbiote Spider-Man and Spider-Woman II as failures on the part of variants. A variant is a figure that we've been told we won't see again. Exclusives always have the chance of being reintroduced, a la Giant Sized X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, Gray Hulk, Silver Surfer, etc. but variants are gone for good. Should you introduce a variant, it should be of an obscure character or a costume change that makes sense, but doesn't warrant a second figure. Good choices were Black Elektra, Stealth Iron Man, Frosty Ice Man, etc. When you use separate figures, always go with the obscure or those that would never see another opportunity to pop up. These would be alternate reality characters, D-listers, etc. The odds of getting a Days of Future Past wave are highly slim, so a DoFP Wolverine made sense. But Spider-Woman II was too much an alternate character to Spider-Woman I to warrant making a variant out of. A better choice would have been an alternate costume for Spider-Woman I or better yet, an obscure Spider-Man costume. In my opinion Spider-Man 2099 would have served a much greater purpose as a variant, as would Ultimate Spider-Man. The 2099 universe for the most part is dead, and Ultimate Spider-Man looks too much like regular Spidey to warrant a second full blown character.

Basically, what I think serves as appropriate variants are long dead characters like Thunderbird, "dead" alternate universe characters like DoFP Wolvie, or just obscure costume changes/civilian attire characters like Ultimate Spider-Man's wrestling garb, a hardly used Iron Man suit, or just plain Bruce Banner. Leave characters like Spider-Woman II, Symbiote Spidey, etc to see an actual release later down the road.

As far as DC characters are concerned, given DC's much better knack for introducing alternate universe "waves" of figures, just leave the variants alone. Why ruin a later line of Kingdom Come characters by going the variant route on Flash today?

ToyBiz learned the lesson early on: Costume Variants are OK for chase, not Character Variants.

The heat they got over Goliath, Red Skull, et al was big and bad. They amended their policy, and fans were happier.

Given that, the only slip has been Spider-Woman.

However, part of the issue of variants has to do with the mold-making process; the molds are always the same (in terms of pieces used per character) and are produced in large batches. So, to use Shanester's idea above - instead of Jess Drew Spider-Woman, we'd get Spider-Man with Fabulous Hair variant.

I think the Marvel chases are fine (at a fixed 1-per-case ratio), and am cool with none in the DC lines; at least it means that you have 3 complete sets per case instead of 2 complete sets, 1 set with chase, and 2 extra boxes left over.

^^^^^WOW, that's, um...profound! Jeez, do you talk like that in person? You 'otta be, like, PRESIDENT or something!!! (We should have a clapping smiley)

:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol:

you're just making me think we should have less smilies

Heh, I guess you're right. We do have a lot of them anyways. :)

Oops. :blush:

Dang it. :angry: :angry2:

What is wrong with my PC? Smilies show up everywhere! :comp26:

:jawdrop: They won't go away...

^^^----That's my favorite one. :D

^^^^^WOW, that's, um...profound! Jeez, do you talk like that in person? You 'otta be, like, PRESIDENT or something!!! (We should have a clapping smiley)

:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol:

you're just making me think we should have less smilies

Heh, I guess you're right. We do have a lot of them anyways. :)

Oops. :blush:

Dang it. :angry: :angry2:

What is wrong with my PC? Smilies show up everywhere! :comp26:

:jawdrop: They won't go away...

^^^----That's my favorite one. :D

Fast track to loosing posting ability that is... smilies are annoying at the best of times... two posts in one thread full of them for no realy purpose is very annoying.

Oh, jeez...Seriously, sorry, Ady. I apologize. I didn't know they were that bad. Please forgive me, I didn't mean any offense. I was only joking, and didn't know they were that serious. I hope to regain my status as a good and worthwhile contributor to the boards. If I may ask, sir, (I'm not being sarcastic) why do they annoy you so much? Again, I mean't no disrespect to you or any other moderators.

Back on track...

So, I believe the general concensus is we don't wnat chases in this line, and never really liked them in the first place? You've all presented profound points on why you like or dislike this lack of chases. Thank you.

Deadpool, why would Jesus have a screen name like yours?