UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Justice League Movie

minimadman

According to this article on /Film Warner Brothers has approached Ben Affleck about making a Justice League movie. This is awesome. Regardless of how you feel about Affleck's film choices in the late 90's and early 2000's the guy has certainly turned it around and is a fantastic director who has made 2 very good movies (Gone Baby Gone and The Town) with his third directorial effort coming later this year (Argo). The script was written by Will Beall who has written many episode of Castle and Gangster Squad and as an Academy Award winning writer Affleck could certainly punch up the script if needed. I hope this happens and now is the perfect time to do it, Nolan's Batman is over and it will need to be rebooted anyway this could be a fresh start for DC.

My biggest concern with this isn't Affleck, it's how the League will meet. Obviously there aren't any lead-up films in the works to introduce each character so they need to bring them together and shine light on each one fairly and properly. Considering DC's actions lately, i fear they'll turn to the 52 with Johns' run for this coming together.

I really, really beg them to not do this. John's manner for having the League unite was awful and childish. Each hero just kind of appears coincidentally at the same time and at that moment a great evil arrives on Earth? Trainwreck. I expect better from WB...but i'm weary.

Oh, and please, Cobie Smulders for Wonder Woman. Please.

As much as I love Robin Sherbatsky I can't bring myself to agree with you. Wonder Woman need to be more voluptuous, like Angelina Jolie but minus the crazy. I think they should keep Cavill and Reynolds reboot Batman and boot Flash, Wonder Woman and tie them all together the way that Marvel did. If they hurry they can start with Superman next summer. It doesn't have to be anything big just something like Nick Fury popping up in Iron Man and saying the word Avengers.

Cobie Smothers, as beautiful as she is could never fill this out.

2410885-ww_9.jpg

Edited by minimadman

What if this DOESN'T show their first meeting? I mean do we really need to see a "Get the team together" montage of some sort? What if they just kinda already were together? Then we have a speech at some point with Superman saying that he needed this league to fight threats bigger than what he could fight alone. Like the Fantastic Four movie didn't have to show them all meeting for the first time. We accepted that they already knew each other. Same with the X-Men that are not Wolverine. We accepted that Cyclops, Storm, Xavier, and Jean were already associated. In that way we could get straight into the fight with the League. If they have to show a "newbie league member" I'd vote Aquaman as Atlantis could be a new discovery or somesuch. Anyway, what say we make this a Reverse Avengers? These heroes, especially Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, are so ingrained into pop culture that they need no introduction. Between Superfriends, the JLA cartoon, Smallville, and the movies we've already gotten people DO know these characters. Marvel had to set them up individually because their characters, sorry to say, are not as iconic as the characters of the Justice League. Out of the Avengers the two everyone (and I mean not the people who read comics, I mean the average person who has never walked into a comic shop before) would know are the Hulk because of the Bixby/Ferrigno series and Captain America simply because, well, Captain America. We don't need to set up the League. All we need is the League. Then the characters from the League get their own movies off of this one.

Now who should be our villain? I've been considering some options with my comic shop guy and he came up with reinventing Starro and bringing in Brainiac to team with him. I'd also like to see the original Parallax saga as a second film with the League and newbie Green Lantern (Stewart or Rainer as audiences probably wouldn't take to Gardner) teaming up to take down Parallax Jordan. Then maybe he could get his own movie as The Spectre.

As much as I love Robin Sherbatsky I can't bring myself to agree with you. Wonder Woman need to be more voluptuous, like Angelina Jolie but minus the crazy. I think they should keep Cavill and Reynolds reboot Batman and boot Flash, Wonder Woman and tie them all together the way that Marvel did. If they hurry they can start with Superman next summer. It doesn't have to be anything big just something like Nick Fury popping up in Iron Man and saying the word Avengers.

Cobie Smothers, as beautiful as she is could never fill this out.

2410885-ww_9.jpg

No one can live up to Terry Dodson. His women are more beautiful that Frank Cho and Adam Hughes combined.

im hoping we see a new batman along the lines of TAS, with someone like Fassbender as him, basing his performance of Controy slightly.

im hoping we see a Superman film (im assuming Cavil will be the leagues Superman) that encompasses the glory of Superman, while putting him in a metropolis similar in design to Nolans ideals for Gotham

im hoping we see a Wonder Woman film that goes along the lines of Thor, but does not throw her into our world very much, one where its about her journey to find herself, show the public her mythos

im hoping we see a Flash movie thats like a mix of a superhero film and an NCIS episode, something that shows his job as a forensic scientist as well as how he sees the world while running

and im hoping we see a Green Lantern movie that is less campy, more of a stunning scifi than a super hero film, one that mainly takes place off world, showing Hal how big the universe is, taking him away from his comfort zone and not letting him be in contact with other heroes

and im hoping that the league movie introduces Martian Manhunter, but does not cop out and have an alien invasion be their coming together (it worked in the Avengers cuz of Whedon, but it wont work twice) have the issue be the public, have assorted government members create conflict, have the movie be about the league trying to be a symbol to the world that heroes are good for it

i left out Aquaman, not that i dont want him in it, just that realistically, i dont see him in the first assembly of the league

Here's the thing UDP. Marvel had a 5 year plan that built up to the Avengers. DC just seems to be looking at all the money the Avengers raked in, popped a movie boner, and wants to cash in.

In the words of Jeff Goldblum, They're so busy seeing if they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Movies with Warner Brothers are difficult to figure out, that I'm really not sure what to expect. They made a very unconventional choice in going with Nolan for Batman, and obviously it paid off in ways they probably couldn't have imagined. With Green Lantern they went a much more conventional action movie route, and it was a train wreck that just didn't work in a commercial or critical sense. So Zach Snyder collaborating with Nolan on Superman? I have no clue what that's gonna look like. Snyder can do good enough work when he doesn't have to be creative, but I'm not sure how the sensibilities of the creative team are gonna mesh there.

But I think that's what it really comes down to--getting the right creative team and cast together to provide a fulfilling approach to fantastic comic book heroes. I think WB could very well hit a home run with the JLA, even as a stand-alone movie with no buildup a la Avengers. On the other hand, it could be putrid. Just depends on how the cards fall.

What if this DOESN'T show their first meeting? I mean do we really need to see a "Get the team together" montage of some sort? What if they just kinda already were together? Then we have a speech at some point with Superman saying that he needed this league to fight threats bigger than what he could fight alone. Like the Fantastic Four movie didn't have to show them all meeting for the first time. We accepted that they already knew each other. Same with the X-Men that are not Wolverine. We accepted that Cyclops, Storm, Xavier, and Jean were already associated. In that way we could get straight into the fight with the League. If they have to show a "newbie league member" I'd vote Aquaman as Atlantis could be a new discovery or somesuch. Anyway, what say we make this a Reverse Avengers? These heroes, especially Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, are so ingrained into pop culture that they need no introduction. Between Superfriends, the JLA cartoon, Smallville, and the movies we've already gotten people DO know these characters. Marvel had to set them up individually because their characters, sorry to say, are not as iconic as the characters of the Justice League. Out of the Avengers the two everyone (and I mean not the people who read comics, I mean the average person who has never walked into a comic shop before) would know are the Hulk because of the Bixby/Ferrigno series and Captain America simply because, well, Captain America. We don't need to set up the League. All we need is the League. Then the characters from the League get their own movies off of this one.

Now who should be our villain? I've been considering some options with my comic shop guy and he came up with reinventing Starro and bringing in Brainiac to team with him. I'd also like to see the original Parallax saga as a second film with the League and newbie Green Lantern (Stewart or Rainer as audiences probably wouldn't take to Gardner) teaming up to take down Parallax Jordan. Then maybe he could get his own movie as The Spectre.

I agree with a lot of this. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman don't really need much in the way of introductions. Let them do their things. GL now has enough of an introduction to get by without more. I'd say make Flash the anchor of the film. He's the most down to earth, and it'd be a great opportunity to introduce him.

I know she's not an actress and she's probably not what most people imagine, and I'm certainly not campaigning or expecting her to suddenly switch careers, but every time I see her run, which has been a lot over the last few days, Sanya Richards-Ross instantly reminds me of a real world Wonder Woman.

Sanya Richards-Ross instantly reminds me of a real world Wonder Woman.

Interesting. Not sure WB/DC would have the balls to do it, but I wouldn't be against it so long as she kept the same basic backstory/personality/etc.

The fan backlash for that would be INSANE. You saw what happened with Heimdall; with a character like Wonder Woman that would be media suicide. Not saying it couldn't be done well or anything (of course, i would be on the backlash side, Wonder Woman is as close to Greek as possible, even if she's a clay Goddess), but it would be a huge risk.

Quite frankly, i've wanted a Diana movie all my life. My favorite of the Trinity, she's just stellar.

As for the cast, keep Manhunter out at least until a sequel. If they did him i would say they need to explain the alien concept, which means JL style White Martian story arc, which reads as a copy of Avengers. Aquaman or Diana as the "newbie" who gets the frsh eyes we see their world through would be best, as they really are outsiders; Diana moreso because her whole life is a struggle to prove herself. Aquaman might have the big "i'm half human" thing, but he's still a King. Recast Hal and do something like the Incredible Hulk where you recognize the previous film happened but you make little reference to it whatsoever, just use it as background. Barry would be simple. Really the big stretches are Bruce and Clark, and i have a feeling they would be the hardest for DC to move to a team setting from all the single outings. (Cavill is practically a lock, but a BIG NO to Fassbender. He's too Bond for me. Nothing like Bruce Wayne.)

Quite frankly, i'm as confident of this being a trainwreck as i was for GL, and that's a shame. Marvel took a risk with their plan and it worked; DC wants dollar signs.

I don't expect WB would ever go in that direction. Just saying I look at her, especially in action, and see a real life Wonder Woman. Grace, poise, beauty, strength, power, determination. It's all there for me. The color of her skin is a surface thing that to me doesn't really affect the underlying character. But then, I had absolutely no problem with Heimdall's casting (and I thought that Terrence Howard would have perfectly captured the golden boy essence of Watchmen's Ozymandias rather the strict and bland version we got). When it comes to the movies, I prefer less than strict surface interpretations so long as the key character aspects remain intact. Whenever a screen version of Wonder Woman sees the light of day, I fully expect to see a white woman about as Greek as Lynda Carter or Adrianne Palicki.

I'm interested to see how Superman does both at the box office with fan acceptance or pure hate.

DC movies have a long way to go to catch up to what Avengers accomplished. The non-comic public will accept it as another Avenger like movie with Superman instead of Iron Man. It'll do well. Story wise, acting, 'best comic movie since Avengers'.........anybody's guess.

I agree with not showing an origin. That'd take up at least an hour or longer to explain each hero separately, their motivations why they are a hero in the first place, deciding to join the league- and then a fighting montage using all their powers together to stop the villain.

I think the problem is the characters by themselves are too great. Batman. Superman. Wonder Woman. Flash. Green Lantern..............Now, let's run down the Avengers side:

Iron Man

Cap

Hammer guy

Angry green guy

arrow guy

hot chick

In my opinon, people know the JLA- maybe not the team, but they know the characters that make it up. Ask john q public PRIOR to the Avengers movie who the avengers are and they'd likely say: "Emma Peel?" It's all about the how the movie is received not the comic character they are based on. But take something everyone and their grandparents knows about and factor in the billions of "this is how JLA member name here" should be portrayed and you have a lot of expectations to live up to. PLUS, the more superhero movies being churned out, the more the story is being driven into the ground and getting stale.

Side note- a buddy of mine HATED the latest Batman movie. We discussed it and came to the conclusion that the next Batman movie would be amazing if they expanded on stories told in the animated series. How cool would it be to have a Clayface/Batman movie? I LOVED that episode. Want a JLA movie that rocks? Why not look back to the animated series and grow it up a bit?

Just my two cents. Rant on....

I'd love to be excited about a JL movie.. but I am mostly nervous. I don't think WB has the patience to build to a JL movie the way Marvel Studios did with Avengers.. and i think that will be a problem. We, the audience, were given the chance to care about Hulk, Iron Man, Cap and Thor on the big screen before Avengers so Avengers was able to hit the ground running.

I've read rumors that there may be a nod to Wonder Woman in the Supes movie.. if JL is to work, this has to happen. Superman must be used to set the stage even if it is a credits bonus.