UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain America: The Winter Soldier *w/ Spoilers*

Lurch77

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is great news....but what theaters are providing these screenings? is the film just coming early to all theaters in these areas?

Not sure how they're going to do this; guessing it will get posted on on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=727972313900345&set=a.136830193014563.17401.122352024462380&type=1&stream_ref=10

my city (LA) was the first to sell out which was a huge bummer seeing as 1. I work at the theater chain thats showing it and 2. I had 2 tickets in my cart when it prompted me to make an account which resulted in me losing my tickets :(

oh well, still excited for the film and happy for those who got these tickets :)

Just got home from seeing the movie. It is great. Fantastic job from start to finish. Major changes to the MCU. I can't wait until everyone sees it so it can be discussed. If anyone else saw it tonight please PM me I want to talk about it so badly. Great, great movie.

Easily one of the best Marvel movies released so far! It's an excellent spy/political/action movie; along the lines of Bourne Identity with much much bigger set pieces. Kudos to the massive supporting cast, especially Falcon, Pierce, Rumlow and all the SHIELD agents. This review sums up how I feel too and it is spoiler free. I really liked how the story lines connect throughout the whole MCU; it's a major strength for this film but also a slight drawback. I would say at the very least you need to have seen the Avengers movie as a prerequisite to understand the bigger picture going on; any extra films, shows, shorts, etc seen help add depth.

Do stay for at least the first extra scene after the credits!
mind-blown-2.jpg

Second scene at very very end of credits not so much

Bucky standing at the Captain America Smithsonian Exhibit in front of his (Bucky's) memorial

Well, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Arnim Zola wasn't a facebox with a camera.

Yeah, but it's a cheap way out to take what may seem on their surface to be difficult characters and just turn them into generic military guys to get around it.

I sure hope you guys re-read this after you see the movie whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So is it safe to post spoiler-ish comments and reviews in this thread now?

For the TWO post-credit scenes, I thought the final one with only one character was the lamest of all post-credit Marvel scenes to date. The first one had me excited for the villain more than the other two characters. The fight scenes were great, but a lot of the talking got a bit boring at times, and I'm not actually itching to view it a second time any time soon. But my biggest observation about this movie is that I doubt it's going to sell a lot of the merchandise. It was more character-drama than action, and I don't see the young-uns sitting still through all the spy talk. This movie felt more made for the adult fans than the kids, so I hope the Hasbro stuff doesn't linger on pegs for the next few years. I'm only buying the minimates and 6-inch Hasbro figures as I find them. Otherwise, Hasbro made a lot of younger kid market merchandise that I don't think this movie will help much.

There were a lot of kids in both showings I went to and there was barely a peep out of any of them during the entire movie. I don't know if they enjoyed it, but they didn't seem fidgety or whiny, so that was something.

If you're familiar with the comic character the last post-credit scene might not have meant a whole lot but it would be pretty significant if you'd only seen the character in the movie. It also makes it seem very likely we're going to see that character again in the future.

I fully enjoyed it and afterward I realized DST will be the only ones getting my Captain America merch money as I really want a good Falcon figure now and Hasbro didn't make (a good enough) one for me, but DST made two! :)

This movie illustrates exactly how I always thought certain comic book movies should be handled; no differently than any other genre film. Just like Batman Begins was essentially The French Connection with a guy in a batsuit, this flick was Jason Bourne in a supersuit. Nothing campy, no in-your-face graphics or editing style that beats you over the head to say, "HEY! We got this from a COMIC BOOK! Do you get it? Do you get it?!" (Ang Lee, I'm looking at you.) Just respect it.

This was arguably a SHIELD movie featuring Captain America. I didn't like the notion of Cap being recruited by Fury and this movie explains why. Falcon said it best at the end when Fury tried recruiting him; "I'm not a spy, I'm a soldier." Cue Avengers theme.

If Whedon bows out of directing Avengers 3 (say, to do a Star Wars movie), I'd be very happy to see the Russo Brothers take the reins.

I enjoyed the heck out of this one. Great political/action spectacle. But one of my major critiques actually is the editing, of fight scenes. Shaky cam was used way more than I would have liked, and detracted from how good those fights seemed to be.

I thought they really played up how much stronger that Cap was compared to "Normal" men, much more than the first Cap movie, which is how it should be. I enjoyed the first fight with Batroc,and felt like Cap was toying with him a bit until he was bored and laid the hammer ( or shield) down. I also appreciated some of the small details they got right like when cap removed his helmet to fight Batroc that his hair was really messy, not perfect studio hair. I thought the film was near perfect , although some of the CG scenes pulled me out of the movie , like where he jumps on a quin jet and pulls his shield out of the prop and does a triply Lindy.

The only noticably bad CGI I caught was when Cap was leaving Pierce's office the first time; he grabbed his CG shield and popped it onto his back. It looked soooo fake in that one shot. All the other times it looked fine to me but in that one, it took me right out of the moment.

I've read other critics complaining about "

CG head" but I must have missed it so I have no idea who "

" is.

Loved all the Easter eggs, too. Glad they're name-dropping Doctor Strange. I was waiting for Fury to mention Tahiti but that didn't happen.

Lokash, you just stated everything I liked best about this film. Cap wasn't just a costume, he moved and fought like a super-soldier. MisterPL, could the {spoilerCG head] have been Zola? The only other noticeable CG head I noticed was elderly Agent Carter - it looked like they CG'ed her eyes onto an older actress - when she turns her head it doesn't sync up 100%.