UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2012 Meetup Thread

Lobsterman

I am 99% sure I will not be going. Bad year for me with a new baby. I think I'm going to shift my annual trip to either NYCC or C2E2 instead of San Diego. Its just gotten to be such a hassle to find an affordable room.

Feel free to use the forums to organize.

I have never been to a convention but usually drool over the pics online, I should really someday look into going to one of the east cost ones..

Dang, man, it seems like only the bandwagon-hoppers are going to SDCC anymore, and the hipsters and cool kids are heading to the East Coast conventions. :confused:

I think I did four SDCC trips. It was fun at first but became the same ole thing. San Diego is a beautiful town, but I like Chicago and New York, so time for some new scenery.

Went to C2E2 for the first time this year, and had a good time. It doesn't have the sheer awesome spectacle of San Diego, but it did have manageable crowds and some pretty cool stuff to attend and see. Great Artist Alley this year - spent a lot of time talking to Chris Burnham and Katie Cook. And you've got downtown Chicago just a few blocks away.

I went to San Diego one year and that was probably enough. It's a shame that it's become so overrun by all the Hollywood crap that comics have become secondary. I'll probably be in New York this year, though, although in all honesty I'm so down on comics right now it's going to be tough to really get my enthusiasm up. We'd better get some good Minimate exclusives.

Is there a MiniCon? Or something of that effect? Can't there be a minimate con set up somewhere in mid U.S. so everyOne can meet up and trade pokemates

I think I did four SDCC trips. It was fun at first but became the same ole thing. San Diego is a beautiful town, but I like Chicago and New York, so time for some new scenery.

San Diego is a beautiful town & for that very reason,oddly enough,is why it'll be unlikely that I'll be going to SDCC in the near future. Don't understand ? I'd like to go to San Diego again just to see the place properly rather than be swept up in the fury that is Comic Con. I'ts unlikely that my better half would be enthralled with the Con especially as she's heard me going on about it for the last few years,she would however adore the town . Chicago looks to be the best bet for me (us?)whilst I would love to go back to New York City.

One of the reasons that San Diego became a big con (for years, that and Chicago were THE two cons, then Wizard bought Chicago and it dropped back) is because of the town. A lot of creators would build a family vacation around the con, so it became a big destination spot for everybody. And, of course, when you have great lineups, you have more fans wanting to go.

Rob, I'll be in SD somewhere around October to November 2013. I have a few meetings there and yes they plan these things that far ahead. Its a great time to be in SD.

I have been to some be non-comic related shows in Chicago and they really know how to keep your attention. Attending C2E2 has really peaked my interest since I always avoided Wizard shows and therefore avoided Chicago. New York (like Chicago) is another place that is big enough that most of the city pays no attention to a comic show and you can find a room without selling a kidney. I cantake my wife and she can find some fun (probably shoe shopping) while I go geek out.

You folks that do attend SDCC should really meet up. Its a fun thing to do. I've made several friends that I hope to keep, after meeting up with them at the cons.

I'll be there with some non-minimate buddies. I'm sure I could convince them to come hang out with some fellow MMV'ers if we set something up.

make sure they help with any and all minimate related giveaways and such, just so you are sure to have your other buddy here hooked up! :P

Jeff of the Miniacs

• 1 month later...