UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

What animosity do you speak of? I'm not familiar with that.

There's an old rumor that, when Punk was the Smackdown champ after he took the World title from Jeff Hardy, Undertaker pulled him aside and told Punk he wasn't dressing and carrying himself like the champion. Punk (quite rightly, I always thought) asked "what about Cena?" and Undertaker didn't appreciate that. Which led to 'Taker burying Punk with the PTB and taking the title off him at HIAC. Who knows if it's actually true or not, but I think having Punk cut a semi-shoot promo burying 'Taker for not supporting him for years behind the scenes would build a lot of heat for this match.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, interesting.

You know how I know I'm old? WWE's idea of "Old School" isn't the stuff from the '80s anymore, when I was a little kid, but stuff from the '90s apparently, when I was in middle/high school. Pretty soon it will be all stuff from when I was in my 20s.

He was excellent at what he did, and really helped to get that character over (plus Kane, when they added him to the mix). I can't help but think about all the times Paul Bearer was killed off in WWE continuity; I guess that last time (in the Kane/Edge feud?) was the last.

He was around more recently, I think for a Kane/Randy Orton feud, where Kane sort of saved him, but then ultimately killed him himself I think? I remember he was stuck in a freezer for awhile. Maybe it was Seamus. It all starts to run together.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I thought the "leaving Paul Bearer in the fridge" thing was a part of that. And I'd forgotten/ blocked out that he'd returned since then. See, this is what happens when you don't actually watch the shows that often.

Edited by hellpop

Just getting caught up here. That's funny that Otunga said that about the belt because I told my brother the same thing...that it looked like a championship ring not a belt. I knew Cena was gonna win but still bummed that Punk lost yet again. I am looking forward to the taker match though.

Bummer about Paul Bearer, he was one of the greats.

I hate to say it but as I didnt belive that Punk would end the streak it was obvious that they would do the year + vs the UT wresmainia. As punk had no big match for thatt PPV, An Now with Paul Bearer passing it will be an UT win and I will say it now I think Hyman will try to interfere with the urn which will backfire and cause the loss This allows thw UT pose on his knee, urn up that we all like and can push a bit more the brrak up of Punk and Hyman

sorry about grammer been busy today an pub called.

Wrestlemania tickets came in the mail today, that is all

Awesome! I considered getting over to NYC for it, and staying with friends, but in the end the flight cost put me off.

Make sure you take some photos at the event. I always love seeing fan view pics.

Yeah, we'll need a full writeup. I've never been to a PPV, much less a WM, but I did go to a few shows back in the Attitude Era. Have a great time!

Okay, so here's a question I've been meaning to ask: does anyone else end up getting "Cult of Personality" stuck in their head for like 3-4 days after Raw? It seems to happen to me every week!

At first, I didn't think it worked as a theme song (even though I never disliked it or anything), but it's kind of grown on me and now I think it works pretty well. Doesn't really stick in my head though. I actually liked Punk's previous metal theme quite a bit. I thought it was pretty edgy as far as WWE theme songs went. But his old ROH song really got the fans worked up.

as a ROHbot I love cult of personality for punk it just reminds of beinging a bit younger as Im 42 now an rocking out to Livining Colour and Fishbone when everyone was just getting tinto the Chilli's. This music just went bang in the UK so we went from danicing in lines for the Quo to not trying to break stuff by going back to pogo'ing as punks.

Best intro's for me are...Austin, the glass break just is so cool. Same with UT gong. Both need no words but when they happen everyone erupts. NWO just cause when it was done same with DX.

Modern stuff I have to say ROH Rodrick Strong just for the Boondock saints quotes.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

Yeah, I liked his old theme too. It took me a while to accept CoP (even though I've always loved the song, and I'm old enough to remember when it was new) because the old theme really fit him. But now I quite like it. At least it's not "You can't see me, my time is now". down.gif

BTW, didn't Punk use CoP for a time in ROH?

Yeah he used it back on ROH. And I agree with K80 in that his old theme - 5 finger death punch I think is the band - fit him really well too. The music timed perfectly when he would shout its clobberin' time!

So I ended up watching Raw on the Hulu replay, which is great, because the commercial breaks are only 30 seconds, but... they cut the Ziggler/Bryan match! That was like the one thing I really wanted to watch! That's the problem with the WWE right there: the wrestling's always secondary to the other crap. God forbid we don't get to see every minute of the Miz and Wade Barrett arguing about movies no one will every see, or another ridiculous Fandango segment. verymad.gif

Zigger/Bryan was excellent (when I found it on YouTube). Just a clinic on how to put together a tv match. I'd love to see them do something more. Sounds like they'll be in the tag team match at WM... could be worse.

Speaking of WrestleMania... and Fandango... there's a rumor that he'll be facing Chris Jericho in some kind of ballroom dancing death match faceoff. Chris Freaking Jericho. Stuck with Fandango. At WrestleMania. nono.gif