UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

Got to watch Survivor Series last night and for a event that on paper looked bland at best at times I have to say for me it is one of the better PPV's of the year. I have to say I didnt find any of the matches to be a real stinker and that includes the Diva's and I'm not a Diva fan.

Also I found the match commentary actually very funny with Cole and JBL arguing about other sports.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, yeah, missed Raw again last night, but for a good reason: I had Eagles tickets! Although this is not the year to have Eagles tickets. But whatever.

So our mystery group has a name: the Shield. Dumb name. But I watched their interview segment and thought it was well done. Ambrose is going to be a big star. Haven't seen any of the rest of the show, but it sounds decent enough.

We'll see about Ambrose. He's got charisma, but there have been lots of guys with charisma that never got a legitimate push in the WWE. Raw was decent last night IMO. Daniel Bryan vs. Mysterio happened (fans had to vote for Bryan or Kane to fight Punk and voted for Kane to my chagrin), and there was a really long Seamus vs. Cesaro match that made Cesaro feel like a legit main event-level talent.

Edited by karamazov80

I would say this is the best RAW I've seen in a few weeks based solely on 3 matches: Rey/Goatface, Cena/Ziggler, Sheamus/Cesaro. That last one stole the show for me since it made Cesaro look tough. Santino was an entertaining champion, but Cesaro is bringing legitimacy back to the title. I was jumping out of my seat when he was about to go for the Neutralizer!

As for the Shield, I was expecting some name like CSI. Shield just made me think Paul Heyman is going to wear an eyepatch in the future. Ambrose was the most intriguing of the 3, though. Between the interview and the voting results, wasn't it clear the results were an injustice? :tongue:

Breaking news: Punk just had emergency knee surgery today and is out for the PPV. Rybeck, Kane and Bryan vs the Shield is your new main event.:(

Hmm. What was the previous main event supposed to be again? :lol:

Look forward to seeing Bryan in the ring with Rollins again, anyway.

Sorry to hear about punk. The only problem I have with that main event is I see no way for the NXT/Shield guys to win. I just cant imagine WWE putting three virtual unknowns to non internet savvy wrestling fans over three of their at the moment universe favs. Espically in a even numbers game.

I have a hunch Bryan's eating the pin here. I don't think they would have given the Shield such a strong debut if they didn't plan on making them a big deal, and a loss in their first match is a terrible way to start. Remember that Summer Slam that was headlined with WWE vs Nexus, and the WWE won with Cena standing tall? The Nexus never really recovered from that. I'd say the WWE won't make the same mistake twice, but... of course they will. :rolleyes:

Speaking of Cena, everybody seems to think he's going over in the ladder match against Dolph. I think it's the other way 'round, myself. WWE knows Ziggler's star is on the rise. I know, I KNOW... NEVER pick against John Cena. But just this once? Maybe?

I'd say the WWE won't make the same mistake twice, but... of course they will. :rolleyes:

LOL

WWE is so unpredictable, that I honestly have no clue. My feeling is, like you, that they should let the SHIELD win. If you kill the momentum here, then what are you accomplishing? Obviously, they won't win clean. They'll probably have interference from a new member or something. Re: the Cena match. . .Ziggler's had some big wins recently. Obviously (or as obvious as the WWE can be), he's being groomed for the championship so that he can be a legit champ on the order of Punk. I think they facilitate that with a Cena win though, by letting Ziggler get the title, then come back and beat Cena when Cena challenges for it.

I think one of the most pointed criticisms you can level at John Cena is that he's never made anyone else a star, in all his time on top. Who has come out on the other side from a program with Cena a bigger star then they were when it began? Only Edge and Punk that I can think of, and you can certainly argue that those two men were as responsible for getting themselves over as much as anything Cena did. Certainly guys like Miz, Del Rio and Barrett didn't benefit long-term from working with Cena.

So it's time for John Cena to start getting guys over. Not putting them over, but getting them over, which is a big difference. I think Ziggler's a guy with which he can really make a mark, the way Bret Hart did with Steve Austin, and the way Austin did with the Rock. Make sure the guy looks like he belongs in the ring with you. Win or loose, make sure the guy looks better then he did when the match began. Now, because this match is for something Ziggler already possesses, I think he has to win to not look like a chump. Cena's already pinned Dolph multiple times; a win in the ladder match emphatically states that Ziggler's not in Cena's league. There are plenty of ways to get Cena to WrestleMania vs the Rock, if that is indeed the endgame; it shouldn't come at the expense of building up the guy that I think is THE BEST performer in the WWE today.

I really only talk about rassling with you guys and guys on SSF from time to time, so maybe I just don't know, but it seems to me that it isn't Cena's fault that no one has been built up because of him. I blame McMahon for that. McMahon just doesn't give anyone a legit push. With the exception of Edge and Punk that you mention, heel champs get the title and its a pretty obvious placeholder, just waiting for Cena or Randy Orton or whomever to step up and take it back where it belongs. Is it a problem of politics? Where Cena is playing the role of Hogan?

I don't think a loss by Ziggler means he isn't in Cena's league. Beating Cena is HARD, and should be. Even guys who are in his ballpark should only beat him, at best, half the time. But the bigger question to my mind is--what will be the ramifications of the match either way? My fear/suspicion is that it won't matter either way, and their respective, proceeding story lines won't be very strongly affected by the outcome of that specific match.

it shouldn't come at the expense of building up the guy that I think is THE BEST performer in the WWE today.

VSoR5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the PPV tonight, and the 3 on 3 and main events were fantastic. Crowd was really into it, too. The "SHIELD" put on a great performance, with one really memorable segment involving Rollins that will be talked about tomorrow at length, I'm sure. "Shocking" ending to the main event that I enjoyed watching.

I turned it on in time for the end of the Big Show/Sheamus match. Gonna have to get a copy of the Shield match, as you're not the first person I've heard sing it's praises tonight.

Yeah, the ME had a non-surprise surprise ending, but spoiler tags anyway:

Cena hit an AA on Ziggler and sent him outside the ring, but fell over himself. While he's laying there, Vicki comes out and gets a chair to unload on him. So, of course, AJ runs down, takes the chair, and takes out Vicki. She then helps Cena up, and skips around the ladder while he climbs to victory. But... then she pushes him over! Cena bounces off the ropes, just as Dolph makes it back in to add a Superkick to the jaw! Dolph wins!

Crowd was great for the ME, and EXPLODED for the finish. Also of note, the rumored Alberto Del Rio face turn happened, and was surprisingly well done, as he came out to save the Spanish announce team (and Ricardo) from that dastardly 3MB. That, somewhat unfortunately, led to a match with that team against Del Rio, Miz, and... the Brooklyn Brawler. Surreal to see Miz and Del Rio on a babyface team.

Edited by hellpop

I didn't care for the babyface turn of del Rio personally. He's a face because he defends his announcer guy? It wasn't like he was saving another face or a helpless woman or anything. And I like del Rio as a bad guy, though I guess he was getting a bit stale (he wasn't winning many big matches anyway). Miz. . .I'm tired of him. He's not that clever or funny in my opinion, his in-ring skills are nothing special, so I'm not sure why he's getting as much exposure as he is nowadays. Jericho he ain't.

Both are entirely miscast as babyfaces, I think. Let's face it, Miz is a d-bag, and it's not like his workrate is good enough to get beyond his general swarminess (like it is for, say, Dolph Ziggler). Del Rio will have to undergo an entire gimmick transplant to get over as a babyface. I really can't imagine anyone cheering for either of them.

Del Rio I'll give a chance, but only if it leads to more screen time for his announcer Ricardo.

Can't get enough Ricardo :D

Both are entirely miscast as babyfaces, I think. Let's face it, Miz is a d-bag, and it's not like his workrate is good enough to get beyond his general swarminess (like it is for, say, Dolph Ziggler). Del Rio will have to undergo an entire gimmick transplant to get over as a babyface. I really can't imagine anyone cheering for either of them.

I can imagine folks getting behind del Rio, just because I think he has genuine charisma. But I also have a hard time imagining exactly what a face del Rio looks like. Miz is. . .an unlikeable d-bag. So yeah, I'm not sure where they're gonna go with that.

In my mind I see Ricardo becoming envious of how easily Del Rio charms the women, but is bumbling and tongue-tied with the divas. Somehow, Ricardo ends up in the ring to defend a diva's honor, and to the surprise of everyone, wins the match convincingly, making him a huge babyface star and takes Santino's spot as the "lead comedy wrestler".

Just watched TLC and I would give it a thumbs up. It might not have been for me super strong card how Survivor Series was but it was still good I thought. The opening tag match was good and the standout of it being Cody's facial caterpillar. I hope the fans get behind that chant.

The middle matches I found a bit bland and actually snoozed off on the Barratt/Kingston match.

For me the rest ignoring the Diva's was good. The Shield V Ryback and Hell No was exactly what I expected and wanted with Dean Ambrose's face from being double suplexed on the ladder was priceless. I could really get behind Ambrose he just has this unhinged bit about him that works.

and then and it surprised me the match of the night Ziggler V Cena. Ziggler sold like champ again bouncing around like a rubber ball I just wonder how long he can keep it up. The crowd made this for me super pro Ziggler and loud, smart and funny about it. The end was a bit wacky and confusing but it seems you cant have everything.

for me two strong events in a row and I always enjoy the rumble no matter what so I'm finding WWE ok at the moment.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't really been paying attention for the last couple weeks, but I did tune in for the end of Raw and the Rock's big return. It did not disappoint. Well, the Rock did, sort of, but only because PUNK WAS SO AWESOME. Seriously, seriously amazing promo. Totally owned Rock.