UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

First X-Men. Okay, seriously.

Lobsterman

http://www.comicvine.com/news/marvel-reveals-who-will-be-joining-first-x-men-what-it-will-be-about-and-more/144700/

So now, Wolverine is apparently the guy who started the original original X-men team nobody ever told you about but was actually the foundation of everything that has ever happened with mutants in the MU.

Is anyone else feeling like Marvel has been going a little Chuck Norris on Wolverine lately? Oh, also, he is the savior of mutantkind, and is actually going to singlehandedly fight and kill the Phoenix Force at the end of A vs X because he is so goddamn awesome. I really miss the days when Wolvie was just a badass bruiser and not the best, smartest, coolest, richest, most talented, most caring mutant who ever has, or ever will exist.

i am not looking forward to this, the art looks awful to me

and why couldnt the premise by more like deadly genesis? i would much rather hear about unrelated NEW mutant characters doing their own mutant group that had nothing to do with the x-men, then just another "SO THATS HOW IT HAPPENED" story

Because Deadly Genesis wouldn't have been possible without Wolverine! He actually invented Cerebro, you know, since he used to teach Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom in school. And he's Captain America's father.

Edited by Lobsterman

I'm strongly holding back the urge to vomit. This seems to be Marvel pandering to the fans who don't know that the X-men existed for 11 years before Wolverine came along. And I agree Lobsterman, I too miss the days when wolverine was just a badass bruiser. He was much cooler that way

Wolverine is, and has always been approx 6'4" as well... the stud.

Glad folks are getting sick of Logan, he's always been a little twat to me. Oh Marvel, stop writing Cyclops with a severe brainwrong... sort it out.

Don't forget that Wolverine rallied the Avengers together to defeat Loki.

The spider that bit Peter Parker was part of the Weapon X program trying to replicate Wolverine's amazing abilities in arachnid form.

Who was it Matt Murdock saved before being covered in the radioactive substance that blinded him? Wolverine.

And during the Secret Wars, beneath one hundred and fifty billion tons, stands The Hulk -- and he really apreciate's Wolverine's help holding up this mountain.

Deadly Genesis? Really? While two interesting new characters came out of it I'll grant you, the story effectively finished the job of completely invalidating Xavier as the leader of mutant kind. Charles came out of that story just as much an ends-justify-the-means character as Magneto has ever been, a bastard willing to sacrifice anyone for the survival of his cause, and willing to mind-wipe people to cover up his sins. It's why he sits in the background, barely participating in events, because now that everyone knows he's a mind-bending bastard, no one trusts him. And apparently why should they. No. I point to Deadly Genesis as one of the points things went very, very wrong in the X-Verse.

And this series is BS, and contradicts things they already established about Logan's timeline. I'd believe it if it were more if the first X-Men were Charles, Magnus, Mystique, Destiney, and some of the other not Wolverine and Sabertooth older mutants.

And remember, John Byrne's changes to Spider-Man's origin were cannon too... until they weren't anymore.

Not sure what the heck happened to Neal Adams' art either. Age has not been kind.

With the acquisition of Marvel by Disney, I imagine the editorial staff has gotten some intensive... training... on how to keep everything "on brand." Stories, history, other characters, all of that is fine, but to keep the wheels turning in the comic/movie/merchandise universe, everything. always. must. come back to Spidey, Iron Man, and Wolverine. Those three are the sales drivers in all of their media properties, so they are being made the fulcra on which the MU turns.

I'm sure that in every pitch meeting or creative session, the first thing written on the whiteboard in big red letters is, "PUT WOLVERINE IN IT."

Edited by Lobsterman

Not anymore, Lobby. Clearly this series represents pre-May 4th thinking. Pretty darn sure the House of Mouse no longer cares what they do with the X-Men. Avengers has made them a billion bucks faster than any other movie not named Avatar. In addition to annoucing the sequel, Disney also announced they are rethinking their land usage plans at both parks to add Avengers themed areas within the next year. I fully expect them to pay as little attention to the X-Men as they can until they can leverage the rights back away from Fox.

Yikes.

Why can't the original X-Men just be the ORIGINAL X-MEN?

And why can't Wolverine just go back to the sidelines for a while. Really? Does it help his character development that he was the first mutant freedom fighter? It's like saying Han Solo actually fought for the Rebellion years before the Rebellion was rebelling. And he paid Boba Fett to join his team. And he worked with Darth Vader to fight the Empire. But don't worry, it all totally makes sense and it has to because it's canon!

The comments in the thread are hilarious. I agree with one commenter who says everything is intriguing up to the point where they say "Wolverine". What's with the false gravitas declaring something as "canon". In truth good ideas and stories become "canon" after surviving the test of time. Bad stuff gets ret-conned. You can't declare something "canon" before it's even made.

Han shot first.

Spider-Man wasn't a clone.

and Happy Days ended at Season Four.

Avengersland! Epcot Center will be retooled as Stark Expo!

That would...actually be a really good idea, and could breathe some new life into Epcot.

Totally agree. Epcot is the Disney park that actually gets the most stale in my opinion. They change MGM based on major movies sometimes, Magic Kingdom is timeless, and the animals at Animal Kingdom usually make every visit unique. But Epcot is a park that has been pretty static for a while. Ever since Soarin came in it's been with very little change... And Stark Expo would be a great thing to do with it since it seems mildly clear to me that the Stark Expo was inspired by Epcot. Look at Howard's presentation and then look at Disney's Epcot presentation. Some Marvel love would certainly bring me back to Epcot. Though I do hope Disney doesn't press Universal to shut down Marvel at the Islands of Adventure because that Spider-Man ride is incredible every single time.

As for X-Men... f**k Wolverine. F**k retcons (sometimes) and seriously F**K Wolverine Retcons. He's badass. Yes he is indeed. But he's gotten to the point that he's not an INTERESTING badass. Let him slide back into the abyss for a while. Give Strong Guy the chance to shine.

Marvel and DC suck nowadays. . .that is all.

i gotta disagree with you there, and i think anyone whose reading Batman, Wolverine and the X-men, or Amazing Spiderman will agree with me

I like Wolverine just fine in his X-Men title, but man, any time a comic is pitched as "answering questions" about him I have to roll my eyes. I have no more Wolverine questions! The past 20 years worth of comics laying out his (no longer at all) mysterious past in explicit detail have answered every question I ever had, and then some.

I think everyone is missing a very important fact, Wolverine was Walt Disney. Of course the franchise was funded by Howard Stark, who is of course one of Wolverine's many children, and Mickey was originally supposed to be a wolverine but was rejected as being to violent and to Canadian for an American audience.

As for the possibility of Wolverine killing the Phoenix, I don't see it happening. Even Galactus realized that attempting to kill the Phoenix would be a bad idea. To kill it is "To condemn the cosmos to ultimate extinction." Oh wait, continuity no longer exists in any shape or form so it really doesn't matter anymore. :rolleyes:

I think everyone is missing a very important fact, Wolverine was Walt Disney. Of course the franchise was funded by Howard Stark, who is of course one of Wolverine's many children, and Mickey was originally supposed to be a wolverine but was rejected as being to violent and to Canadian for an American audience.

As for the possibility of Wolverine killing the Phoenix, I don't see it happening. Even Galactus realized that attempting to kill the Phoenix would be a bad idea. To kill it is "To condemn the cosmos to ultimate extinction." Oh wait, continuity no longer exists in any shape or form so it really doesn't matter anymore. :rolleyes:

Of course! And in an attempt to break his spirit and destroy the competition's chances, Wolverine murdered Bruce Wayne's parents. It kinda backfired...