UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daredevil wave?

Valo487

Shadowlands wasn't an awful wave TM2, but my point is that aside from the two White Tigers nothing about that wave makes it a DD wave. DD himself, Spider-Man, Elektra, Iron Fist and the Hand could all be in a wave that was just a menagerie wave and no one would call it a DD wave. I know we're not likely to get one, but if they're going to make a DD wave I'd much prefer a true DD wave.

So Daredevil, Elektra, Hand Ninjas, all of which are Primary DD characters, ensure it's not a DD wave? Including Iron Fist and Spiderman, which are crossover/secondary characters for DD? And the 2 White Tigers which you already admitted were DD characters?

That's like saying wave with Spidey, Cap, Hulk, Ironman, Kang, Thor and Wolverine isn't an Avengers wave, because they have there own titles. While you could make that argument, they're all tied together by an Avengers connection.

Shadowlands is a Dare Devil wave. I has all DD characters (even if not exclusively) and featured a run that took place under a DD title. It might have not satisfied your desire in a DD wave, which is fine. But there's no excuse for saying it's not a DD wave, let alone related.

I didn't say it's not a DD wave, but it's not what I meant by a DD wave. If Shadowlands had never happened and they had packed in different characters instead of the White Tigers, would you look at a wave with DD, Spider-Man, Elektra and Iron Fist as a DD wave? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't. When Shadowlands was revealed it never made me think "This is a DD wave." I looked at it as a mix and match wave like DST did a lot, that pulled a few designs from recent storylines. I'm well aware Elektra and DD are Daredevil characters obviously, but you could put a DD/Elektra two-pack anywhere, like they did in Wave 1.

I guess my point is that Shadowlands doesn't feel like a DD wave TO ME. When I think DD Wave, I think Owl, Purple Man, Nuke, Yellow Suit, ect. not Iron Fist and Spider-Man. I suppose my point is that if the only DD wave we'd ever get is four rehashes, two of whom only vaguely tied to DD, then I don't want one after all.

In all honesty, I don't think that Daredevil is a strong enough character, with a strong enough group of villains, to justify a wave, particularly if you take recent (or coming) releases like Elektra, Kingpin, Bullseye, and the Hand Ninja off the table. He just doesn't have a great group of associated characters to play with.

Lady Bullseye would be cool, though.

Don't forget the final omen Miry, where you and Mystery Man renounce Kang ;)

Never! Never shall I renounce Kang! He's my favorite Avengers villain!

I say thee Nay! And again I say thee Never!

But should some mental malady befall the two of us, Fear Not! Verily our brother-in-arms moc twill soldier on and continue the fight! And lo, hellpop will join him! And even now do we bend Urban to our cause!

Verily the only way to stop this assualt is for DST to go forth and make Kang!

(pretty sure Webhead is fighting back an anurism right about now)

I was! Can't we keep the Kang talk to the Kang appreciation thread. Gah now you've got me typing about Kang in a non-Kang thread (head explodes).

You're probably right hellpop, but at the same time I would have said Iron Man wasn't big enough to carry his own wave before the movies made him an A-Lister, and I think DD just needs the right exposure to put him on the map. I guess I'm partial because I really like the character and maybe part of that is that he's got more obscure villains, I like when we get people for the first time in 'mate form. And Purple Man, Nuke and the Owl have become bigger characters in recent years, not huge by any stretch but they're still contendors. I guess part of me misses the days when 'mates were a bit more collector oriented and we didn't have to include "recognizable characters" in every single two-pack, and DD has a lot of untapped potential. Plus I think he's neck and neck with the Fantastic Four for must underrepresented Marvel character in terms of 'mates, although the Hulk is on his way to joining that group too.

Should we start threads for them as well, or would that be overkill?

I've never been a big DD reader. My knowledge of Owl comes entirely from his brief appearance in the Age of Apocalypse, but i wouldn't ever say 'no' to more villains.

I would especially like to see a Typhoid Mary though.

I used to love the Tylenol ads in the back of comics featuring her!

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Daredevil, it's just that he doesn't have the most interesting group of villains around. I just don't think that the Owl or the Purple Man would make for great figures. And one of my favorite DD villains- Stilt-Man- has already been made. Who else is there? The Jester? Meh.

I know they're not that visually compelling which is definitely not in their favor, but I have a ton of affection for Purple Man and the Owl as characters, and I'm probably in the minority but when new 'mates are announced I'm way more excited about characters I find interesting than the coolest looking ones. But I know that's definitely NOT the common approach with toylines.

I am always in favor of more 2nd and 3rd tier villians. A LOT more.

Daredevil has some neat looking ones, so I'm all for them getting made.

And then, the fact that Cobra and Mr. Hyde have fought Avengers on a number of occassions... well we'll call that a bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Daredevil, it's just that he doesn't have the most interesting group of villains around. I just don't think that the Owl or the Purple Man would make for great figures. And one of my favorite DD villains- Stilt-Man- has already been made. Who else is there? The Jester? Meh.

An old-school Gladiator could look REALLY friggin cool. Sure he's a low tier villain... But he's certainly an interesting one visually. He gets my vote as far as DD villains go.

• 3 weeks later...

So many I'd want! Very hard to narrow it down to just one wave... I'd have to ditch the army builder and go with:

DD Wally Wood style / Mr. Hyde

DD (damaged? yellow?) / The Owl

Purple Man / Gladiator

Mr. Fear / Jester

..and if we're going for 8 uniques instead of variants or army builders, you could replace the Yellow DD slot with any of the other significant characters: Typhoid Mary, Nuke, Leap Frog, etc. But the list above would knock out the main DD villains I'd want.