UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate-Based Mobile Apps

Minimates on the Move  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of mobile device do you use?

• iPhone
    • Android phone
    • Other smart phone
    • Regular messaging/cellular phone
    • iPad
    • I don't have a mobile device.
  2. 2. What kind of informational app would you use?

• Minimate retailer locator
    • Minimate visual database
    • New Minimate arrival notification (at retail)
    • Minimates news alerts
    • Other (suggest below)
  3. 3. Would you download a Minimates-based game?

Hey, all, Zach here. DST is thinking about getting an application developed for mobile phones and devices, but we weren't sure what kind of app collectors would use. I've put up a few ideas we had to get some feedback, but let me know if you have any other ideas. Obviously, we're thinking about Minimates-themed games, as well, so if you have any ideas there, jot 'em down below.

Edited by Zach Oat

Thanks for getting our input, Zach! I would like to see some kind of part identifier/list in an info-app. Minimatedatabase.com has a very nice listing to track individual parts (for instance, I can pretty easily get a visual list of all Minimate swords), and I use it pretty often, but I'd love to access the information a little more easily via my phone.

FYI: http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=9932&view=findpost&p=192738&hl=collector&fromsearch=1

In all honestly I struggle to see the point of a dedicated app, I considered writing one for here, I considered writing one to make MMDB slightly nicer on my droid but at the end of the day you're aiming at a subset of a subset of a subset, how many people would really use an app to ID random parts of Minimates like so many apps (and I do this carp for a living) the ideas great, but the reality is kind of pointless.

What could work is some simple "amusing" game like Fruit Ninja or Slice It, or even better a Minimate version of Androidify. Something thats fun and light hearted and might get new people to the brand, rather than aiming it at us zealots.

In fact, the more I think a Minimate version of Androidify would be pretty damned awesome.

Don't forget the android based tablets too, they are severely lacking in good apps (especially good games).

An app to make quick customs would be nice :biggrin: If you could pick a body part (arms/legs/torso/head/etc) and scroll through a bunch of pieces to create your own. It'd be nice with pieces from the minimate characters already released but not sure how the mixing of licenses would work for something like that. That aside even generic pieces (uniforms/dress outfits/different skin tones/etc) would work just as well.

Games? Hell yeah! We need an Angry Minimates app.

EDIT: as Ady suggested something like Androidify would work well

I can't imagine an accessories identifier would have ever made the cut, but we were trying to think of things that would make Minimate shopping easier. Obviously, a game would have wider appeal, and a Minimate-Me app was something we were considering. Keep the ideas coming!

Maybe a side-scrolling Calico Jack game? Enemies could explode into their various parts, similar to the LEGO games, and I'm sure you guys could dream up enough levels and characters to make it interesting.

this and also a pirate ship overview part where you control the ship

AND MINIMATE ME APP!

I was thinking about a design your own minimate from all the design sheet parts. Kind of like making a Mii, but with all the Minimate parts in a design sheet format. Have parts themes for Pirates and MAX line so you can make your own stuff that could fit in the line too. And this could be a place to sneak in designs that hit the cutting room floor. Once done, then you have your own personal design sheet of a minimate that you can show off. This stems from my personal jealousy that Luke has his own minimate design sheet (see his avatar).

Maybe have some contests every now and then around a certain theme and have people vote on DST's favorites on the website?

For advertising a nice live wallpaper would be good. There's a Captain America one on the android market that I love and is very well done. Something like this with perhaps a big Minimate logo, tap it and some minimates pop up from behind the logo.

Some other ideas, Taito Corp has several simple Space Invaders iPhone apps; stuff like battery monitor, timer, flashlight, & calculator. They don't do much (just what they are) but they get the brand name out there, and for being so simple they are fun.

As much as I despise the Talking Tomcat or Robbie the Robot apps, it would be cool to have ones done as Calico Jack or other MAX heroes. I bet kids would love this too; a talking interactive Pirate/Fireman/Policeman Minimate would do well! Even a Femme Fatales one could be popular {insert crude humor joke here}.

......... but we were trying to think of things that would make Minimate shopping easier.

With respect I can see that you want to help & so do I................start with TRU.com :thumbsup:

:lol:

A "store locator" would be nice as long as it only showed you comic shops that ordered Minimates. Just a general comic shop locator app wouldn't work, as nothing is more frustrating to a collector (...other than TRU.com...) than going into a shop and finding they don't carry what you are passionate about.

Maybe there is some way to show stores that have ordered Minimates in the last 6 months?

Minimate News related items are already being handled by Facebook/Twitter, so an app specifically for that seems pointless.

Some Minimate themed games would be a lot of fun, even if it were something simple like a slide puzzle.

A Minimate-themed "Hangman" would be perfect!

Rob - have you managed to find a way to get news/websites on your mobile phone yet?

Brick_Charcoal_Cell_Phone_web.jpg

:tongue:

Rob - have you managed to find a way to get news/websites on your mobile phone yet? :tongue:

Some useless trivia re: mobile Phone - Last Tuesday marked the 30th anniversary of the fisrt mobile phone call made in Australia. On the 9th of August 1981 a mobile phone included a 45cm handset, a transceiver stored in the boot of the car and an antenna on the roof. It weighed 14kg and cost $5000.

It could only store about 6 numbers in it & worked within about a 1 mile radius of the Melbourne CBD...

Thinking about it, aside from a Minimate-Me app which is a shoe in some kind of simple collection tracking tool could work....

Stick a QR code on every pack, scanning the QR Code launches/installs the Minimateabase app, it asks the user to register (go go future marketing powers) and creates them an account and logs the pack they just bought as been part of their collection, they can then manually add the old packs they own and scan QR codes on future packs to automatically add their new aqquisitions to their database. The checklist as it were wouldn't be anywhere near MMDBs ofc just aim for like the older collection posters that were/are in 2 packs (no packaging variants/running changes etc :D ) and you could even throw in social features such as a global list of who has the most unique minimates et al.

You'll then have a nice database of your customers and whos buying what types (Only collecting Ghostbusters you need some more monsters how about these Universal Monsters packs!) and Im sure you could then use the GPS data to point them to nearby stockists by using the Comicbook locator service (unless you can be doubly awesome and point them to only places that actually order Minimates) with links to Facebook/Twitter for your news.

You could probably extend this further if you give people the ability to email themselves their MinimateMes to use as Avatars on forums and perhaps even offer a "live signature" based on their collections for use in forums etc.

As someone mentioned above PLEASE make it work on all platforms of note (Android/iOS) and offer a regular HTML version some at the very least people with less smart smartphones can still sort it out.

As for a simple game..... a Minimate style "Operation" Rip off could work or even a Callico Jack / Max styled tower defense game... Elite Heroes vs Fires!

There's an app for MOTU Classics that has all of the figures, with pics, and an option to create two subfiles, owned & wishlist. Kinda cool.

I like the idea of being able to take a pic of myself or someone else, then minimate-ifying them. Maybe be able to pic from a few minimates, then stick your face on it.

I also like the idea of being able to touch/drag parts from existing mates to make quick customs.

An app (I use both iPad and iPhone so a universal iOS app would be my vote) that helps you find stores (even smaller comic shops), news, release info, and a listing/database would be absolutely KILLER.

And my kids love Minimates - they would love to have a game.

I be poor. (Okay, not poor, but attempting to maintain a gazelle like focus on getting myself out of debt) My phone is pretty bare bones. But when the day come I can afford a better phone, I'd love some minimate apps.

However, if it's going to take too much cash to develop the app, I'd rather see the money spent on you guys MAKING KANG!!

Just my opinion.

Edited by Mirymate

Just my two cents, but i'd very happily use a 'checklist' type app on my iphone.

Less so these days - but about a year ago, i could not tell you off the top of my head what i was missing from my collection. Having a checklist app would be great so that i know what i still have yet to find, especially when traveling and visiting interstate/overseas toy-stores.

I love Pete's idea about the mix'n'match game. I think that'd be a fun little bonus in any game. Perhaps you can build your own character from an in game parts-bin & then use him/her as your game avatar?