X-Men First Class movie minimates

SouthFLGuy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better version

1af5c7d0.jpg

It was premiered on MSN so I do not know how fake it can be.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/18/fir...s+%26+Rumors%29

From nextmovie.com: Some are characters you’ll recognize from the previous X-Men movies, others are new, and all of them look fantastic. From left to right, you have: Michael Fassbender as Magneto, Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert, January Jones as Emma Frost, Caleb Landry Jones as Banshee, Nicholas Hoult as the Beast, Lucas Till as Havoc, Zoe Kravitz as Angel Salvadore, Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, and James McAvoy as Professor X.

Anyone else think that Banshee looks more like what Sinestro should look like in Green Lantern?

Oh crap! That image makes my worst nightmares about this movie became true!!! No big-time heroes... (except for the Beast at the back of the pic) no famoes actors, a crappy story that isnt neither a prequel to the prior films, or true to the comics... I suppose the best I can expect are cool minimates from Art Asylum!

By the way, any guesses on who is the black-haired chick at the right? From what I can guess we have(from left to right):

young Magneto, Moira, Emma (veeeery hot), Nightcrawler´s father (that demon mutant whatever he is called), Beast, Havok, "black-haired chick", Mystique and young Xavier.

odd chance but i really hope Nick Hoult throws some "Tony Stonem" into his Hank McCoy acting.

Angel Salvadore... is she the fly chick from the Morrison X-Men?

Angel Salvadore... is she the fly chick from the Morrison X-Men?

Yeah - although i didn't follow it closely, i thought she was a fat black chick with a mini-fro insect wings who's power was to disolve stuff with her throw-up?

This pic makes me wonder if i have the right chick in mind?

i dont think asking for 5 charactes that have a peared before in movies is too much....apearently fox feels differantly.

anyway it will just upset me to go into a rant so ill keep to talking about mates, i WOUL LOVE to get mates of these, the reason being that i will build my own firstclass movie versions of cyclops,jean,etc. and we will get a new emma out of this and possibly an ok looking mystique and maybe some cool new sculpts

I've said this in the past, but for those of you who didn't care or don't remember... I'm a gigantic X-Men fan.

The only reason I hesitate to say I'm the world's biggest X-Men fan is, the world of comic book nerds has some CRAZY huge friggin' fans... so I know I'm not the biggest one... to make such a claim as I'm the biggest would be outrageous. I know I'm not.

But in the scope of your average human's X-Men fanboyism... I'm definately on the high end. Within the scope of every human being I've ever known since I was born... I'm certainly the "goto" guy for all things X-Men, at least...

Now, the reason I say all this is not to brag or be an arrogant jerk or anything... just to stress the fact that... I know and love my X-Men.

That said...

It is my somewhat informed opinion... that this movie... looks like a gigantic trainwreck waiting to happen...

Now I know, I know "fanboy raging over Hollywood changing his comic book for the big screen" is nothing new, we've all heard it a million times... but really... trust me... no good can come from this.

I look at this cast of characters... and it's such a random mess that I have no idea what they were thinking when they chose them. Actually, that's not true... I'm pretty sure I know exactly why they chose them, and I think it was for the wrong reasons. But I'll get to that later....

And let me be clear, I am NOT saying, "Where's Wolverine!? Where's Cyclops!? Where's Storm!?" I'm not the type of person who thinks we need the headliners to make a good movie... There have been about 50 some-odd X-Men over the years, and LOTS of good teams that didn't involve any of those characters... that's not it...

What I'm saying is... I think that it would have been nice had they used more... actual... X-MEN... to make this cast of X-Men. Characters who make sense together. Characters who have history an chemistry... Characters chosen because they have a goo story to tell... and with a few exceptions, I don't think that's why these characters were chosen...

Let's break this down...

The only two returning X-Men we have are Prof. X and Beast. This works for me. Not a bad start. Two decent characters, who have been X-Men since day one. My only real gripe here is... Charlie X has hair... Yeah, he's young, I get that but... Already, even with the characters I think were good choices... they've taken one and altered one of his most distinctive visual traits. But... ultimately... just a minor nerd gripe, let's move on...

After this the cast of characters steadily loses me even more...

Also returning, we have Magneto and Mystique. Both... strangely enough... wearing X-Men uniforms. Now... Mystique and Magneto have both been X-Men in the past, under the whims of one writer or another... but I don't think anyone would disagree that they're both more classically X-Men villains... so this... already rubs me the wrong way. Now Magneto, admittedly, has alot of history with Xavier, so ultimately I don't mind him as much as Mystique... but Mystique really bugs me. We already KNOW... since this is a prequel, they ultmate turn on Xavier... so basically what thsi says to me is... they're taking Mystique and rehashing what they did with Pyro in the second and third movies here. Taking an old X-Men villain and inventing some non-existant history with the team to work him into the plot. I mean did anyone actually like movie Pyro? Did anyone feel he had a thrilling story crucial to the plot? No, it was just a cheap way to work one more familiar character into the plot... so I'm sure Mystique is destined for much the same... as things go south between Magneto an Charles, she can be swayed to Magneto's point of view, and become one of his followers... from then on doomed to be his faithful crony forever after. I didn't like when they did it with Pyro, and I don't like it now.

Now, let's look at the actual X-Men they've added to this X-Men movie. Havok, Banshee & Emma. Now... I... don't hate any one of these three... in fact, given her increased role in recent years, I think Emma is a downright decent choice... They've all three had their decent moments over the years... and I hate none of them. But does this really sound like a good TEAM to anyone? Banshee and Emma have some history in their Generation X years, but beyond that... I don't feel a whole lot of chemistry between these characters. Nor do I feel they have much chemistry with any of the four established characters. The only silver lining I see here, is that Kevin Bacon is playing Sebastion Shaw, and based on Emma's outfit, they're obviously going to tap into some of that Hellfire Club potential... but beyond that... eh... Banshee I assume is just here to work a love triangle with Moira and Charles... which consiquently is also the only reason I assume Moira is here, to be a love interest for Charles. Havok I assume is just here to be a cheap substitute (and eventually lead-in) for his brother. I don't dislike Havok, nor do I WANT him to be a Cyclops substitute... But I'm betting that's what he's gonna be.

Azazel... baffles me. The story he was introuced in... was one of the most universally panned X-Men stories of the last decade... I don't ever remember anyone saying a kind word about that story. That said, alot of people I would think would ask "WHY did they put him in this movie?" Well... I think I know why: To have sex with Mystique. That's your answer. I believe Azazel was chosen for next to no other reason than he's Nightcrawler's father, and he's here to knock up Mystique. Likely as part of her "seduction to the dark side" Every other aspect of his story will likely be changed. If I had to guess, they'll likely just lump him into the Hellfire Club with Emma and Shaw to round out the bad guys.

Speaking of Emma and Shaw... I think the hellfire club COULD have been a good direction for this movie... they've been around a long time, there's alot of history there, alot of story potential, and it's also a nice way to set Emma up for a redemption story... which is likely their plan. But ultimately... I don't think it's enough to save this movie. They'll likely just butcher it any way. Just for fun, I'm willing to put a dollar on the line that says they turn Shaw into a powerful super-mutant before the end of the movie. Part of me thinks they might even turn him into Mr. Sinister, as a lame way of setting up Apocalypse in future sequels.

Finally Angel... I don't know why in holy hell they used Angel. Ignoring for a moment the obvious confusion that might result between her character and Warren Worthington's Angel... I still can't understand why they chose her. First off, she was she never, technically an X-Man, but one of their students. Furthermore, I just can't stand her... as a character. Not only was her "fly-vomit" power stupid and disgusting, but throughout Grant Morrison's run, she was the single most annoying, obnoxious bitch of a character, with next to no redeeming qualities that I've seen pass through the X-Mansion in years. And as soon as Morrison's run ended, she got dropped from the X-Universe like a bad habit. Now... I'm aware she came back, along with several lame depowered X-Men characters in New Warriors, so if she got more likeable there... I can't say... but her entire run in X-Books was... obnoxious... for lack of a better word. She was definately one of the low points of Morrison's years, imo.

Ultimately... all these things combine to make me... fear how terrible this movie will be.

TLDR version...

In the end, it seems to me... that this cast was chosen not because they're great characters, who have a great story to tell... but with the very specific intent of creating a history for the first three movies. A history that the producers of this movie made up, and that doesn't stay true to much of anything these characters have ever done in their 40+ years of comic-book histoyr. Let's review...

Charles and Magneto: Here to set up their past. This I think is a good thing.

Beast: Here to set up the history with the team he was already implied to have on X-Men 3. Eh. Could work.

Mystique: Here because Magneto needed a crony. Will likely be fairly 1-Dimensional except for...

Azazel: Likely here to be a love interest for Mystique, just to bed her and set up Nightcrawler.

Havok: Here to set up history for Cyclops, and likely fill his role.

Moira: Here to set up the history it was implied she had with Charles in X-Men 3. Likely a love interest.

Banshee: Likely just here to support Moira. Probably a rival for her affection with Charles.

Angel: For the life of me, I have no clue why she's here. SO many better characters to choose from.

Emma & Shaw: I'd argue... could actually have been a good direction for the film, but will likely drown in the rest of this crap... if they even treat them right.

Buuuut...

At the end of the day, that's all just my keen intuition as an X-Men fanboy setting off early alarms... I haven't seen the movie, so I admit, I could be all wrong about it...

So ultimately, I'll still see the movie either way. If it's good, I'll eat my words.

Buuuuuuuuut... as you can tell... my hopes aren't very high for it... and I don't have much fear of eating my words.

Edited by Gillbob316

This movie was made with the express intent of retaining the X-Men film rights. Same as Spiderman and Ghost Rider. You'll also see Daredevil and Fantastic Four again before too long as well.

The film studios lease the rights from Marvel, but they lose the rights at a certain date IF they don't have any projects in production. They already allowed the rights to Hulk revert to Marvel after the poor box office of Ang Lee's Hulk, which I'm sure they regret now (especially if they get a cut of the merchandise! Hulk Hands were a phenominal seller!)

As far as Spiderman goes, I think they chose to reboot because the studio wanted to go another direction from what Raimi wanted, which, compounded with the fact that Raimi & Tobey were expensive, Sony felt easier going in a new direction. Of course if SM3 had been a major hit with fans, then they would have allowed Raimi to do what he wanted.

But, sadly, this new X-Men movie looks like they just chose to throw something up on the screen because they had to put something (anything) out.

I will, of course, be buying the minimates! (the 3 3/4 inch figures, maybe not)

That's not Banshee. It's clearly Jason Flemyng, who is playing Azazel.

That at least makes a little more sense. I was wondering if there was a whole Banshee storyline I had missed where he flew too close to the sun or something. :)

And my thoughts on female Angel:

Angel = Wurthigton Angel

Emma = Jean

Havoc = Cyclops

Beast = Beast

Darwin?* = Bobby

The first class.

In the X-movie universe.

*I think I remember that Darwin was supposed to be in this movie too.

That's not Banshee. It's clearly Jason Flemyng, who is playing Azazel.

That at least makes a little more sense. I was wondering if there was a whole Banshee storyline I had missed where he flew too close to the sun or something. :)

And my thoughts on female Angel:

Angel = Wurthigton Angel

Emma = Jean

Havoc = Cyclops

Beast = Beast

Darwin?* = Bobby

The first class.

In the X-movie universe.

*I think I remember that Darwin was supposed to be in this movie too.

Darwin is listed on IMDB as a casted character, as is one of the Shaws of whom is played by Kevin Bacon. From what I understood, this movie was supposed to have some heavy Hellfire Club influence, as well as have the full history of the GREAT relationship Xavier and Mags have. For those that don't know, IMDB= Internet Movie Database. Check it out, great source of film and TV.

i'm liking Magnetos helmetFirstClassMagneto-1024x682.jpg

why wear the helmet? if he's in a bromance with xavier at this point no need to wear it.

i'm liking Magnetos helmetFirstClassMagneto-1024x682.jpg

why wear the helmet? if he's in a bromance with xavier at this point no need to wear it.

this must be when he 'turns' even though hes wearing his uniform <_<

I said this in the other thread as well, they're fighting the Hellfire lot in this film, right? They've got psychics/telepaths n' what not... perhaps he depends this helmet with the help of Charles, to initially stop them. It would also explain how/why he knows how to block Charlie out in the future.

I hope Havok pulls out his old mask, as well. They should all wear the generic suits, but have the comic-accurate masks.

I actually don't mind Mag's mask, but it being crooked looked amateurish and made me chuckle first time I saw it. Like, this is the best first promotional pic they can come up with for this guy?

I love the 60's look of this movie!

*pic*

My one question: Wasn't Emma Frost just a kid in the Wolverine movie which was supposed to be the late 70's, right? or am I just farbot? Or are we ignoring that? Honestly though, if that's the only flubb, so be it.

your right Dino... I think we're supposed to ignore the child Emma from W:O. I totally agree, these in movie images, especially that one you posted above are really promising, loving the look and style... even from that one picture, the Hellfire types are set up as laid back but incredibly threatening, you can so see them being a legitimate threat to the new and inexperienced X-Men.

The more I see, the more I like. And the X-Men, like everything else, is only better with Bacon. I don't mind continuity issues with W:O or X3. If it doesn't fit, it's because W:O was nothing more than a Weapon X memory implant and X3 nothing more than a bad Phoenix warning dream.