UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 9

CortherX

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not open a Rouges Gallery of QC affected 'mates? Post your pics with descriptive ,non-abusive remarks in one particular thread. By the time I get to Phoenix opening my stuff it's far too late for me to complain & from what I read here it is futile anyway so I've no ax to grind but as long as people just honestly post pics of the problems then Chuck can see for himself. He was alerted at SDCC about QC problems but has failed to acknowledge the depth of the problem whenever he's confronted.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Their QC issues seem to be getting worse...however will this make any of you stop buying their product? What incentive does DST have to correct this?

If it gets bad and consistent enough, then it could seriously affect my buying habits. I never picked up the Spidey Friends and Foes set b/c of the QC issues, and am far less interested in paying inflated eBay prices for this series knowing what has been discussed here.

QC has majorly affected my Sideshow statue buying habits. I don't care what you've done for me in the past, and how good your products are from a design perspective. If you are churning out crummy products that don't pass the QC smell test, then I'm not gonna give you my money for them.

Right and I agree with you. But overall QC issues have been going on alot more yet still most of us still pick up these packs. I'm not arguing with you at all just saying unless there's a real dent in sales I don't see them addressing this.

Honestly Mags gauntlets are just pathetic...not to even paint over where they cut the piece off is ridiculous.

I was thinking about these QC issues the other night, and I think the best way to drive home the point about QC would be to do the following.

At the next convention DST and Chuck will be attending, take 10 unopened packs of a certain 2-pack of Minimates that we know are notorious for QC issues, like Wolvie/Mags for example.

Explain to Chuck that the QC issues are really starting to become a problem in the minds of the collectors, and then proceed to open all 10 packs with him and note each defect of each pack as it is encountered.

It would be necessary for him to know that these were untampered with, factory sealed packs.

As long as it were done in a professional manner, with someone representing the opinions of the Multiverse in a respectful way, I can't see how someone representing a product could not have their eyes opened to this being a bigger issue.

If someone wants to plan to do something like this for one of the upcoming spring/summer conventions, I would be willing to either help provide the Minimates or help cover the costs of obtaining them.

Wow, sounds a bit overkill. I can see it now, ten minutes of "And this one's knee won't bend either" and "Look at all the flashing on this one".

Chuck won't treat you like you're insane, but he'd be thinking it. I think one pack would get your point across, and I doubt you'd have to go through the whole 'untampered' routine. From my experience he's receptive to feedback. But when push comes to shove, he puts the needs of the business first.

I haven't been keeping up on the quality complaints, but apart from Spidey Friends and Foes, it seems like most of the problems have been with TRU packs. In my mind this is understandable, it's the same with all mass-market toys. TRU wants a lower cost and has less particular consumers. They can cut cost by cutting corners (QC, paint apps, etc.) It's a tradeoff they've made to get toys in the stores.

This probably isn't applicable to the other complaints, but Wave 9 was probably rushed to get it in the stores by Christmas. It wasn't entirely successful but the factory was trying to meet a deadline and was a bit more lax.

*It seems like I always end up defending Chuck. I wonder why that is? Probably something from my childhood. Maybe I didn't eat enough Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Too much perhaps? Maybe that chemistry kit was a bad idea. I never did get that pony. Should've listened to my parents when they said KITT was not a role model. Probably shouldn't have slept with Moss Man and Stinkor under my pillow.*

got my sets today, & my warlock came with no hairpiece--does anyone know if the same hair was included with any other mate?

also, (maybe this has been mentioned before), but magiks chest seems more curvy than the other new mutant girls--just an observation. ;)

Edited by mav-man

I'm not gonna speak on other quality control issues such as Wolverine's eyes and Magneto's head but in regard to these two...

Left arms instead of Right arms & vice versa.

&

Feet that don't stay on.

These two problems are nothing new... frankly. Especially the foot one. They've both been happening since the initial waves of minimates, and it just kinda seems to be a matter of when exactly YOU as an individual first encounter either.

My Wave 3 Logan was the first minimate I ever got with a backwards arm. So when I say the initial waves, I MEAN the initial waves. I've had a few repeat the problem since, and not just in the Marvelverse. Merry from my LOTR mates did it. The Dawn AND Witchblade in my Indymates boxed set both had 2 right arms. Interestingly, I'll note... Witchblade had two right arms, but the one on her left still had the left arm paint aps. Furthermore, I once got a Power Girl from the DC line, that had a right and left leg piece, but both legs had right leg paint aps (so basically her panty-line was going the wrong direction on her left left). So this evidently isn't just a case of incorrect assembly, but sometimes the wrong parts actually get mixed in BEFORE the painting process. *Shrug* In any event, like I said, it's not anything new, nor is it just limited to recent Marvel waves.

As for the loose foot thing... yeah... again, been happening since the initial waves. I just now picked up a Spider-Man from my minimate box whose foot had fallen off. I believe he's from wave 4, off the top of my head... in any event, he doesn't have C3 feet... and I know he's far from the first minimate I've ever had with a loose fitting part. Be it, Hands, Feet, Arms or Torso. The one I personally hate is arms, since there's no easy fix for it. If one of the "peg" parts is loose, you can usually fix it by giving the peg a thin coat of paint or glue, to tighten it's fit. (Make sure it's dry though. Don't glue your minimates together. :P) But the arms have a ball joint, and usually there's no easy way to fix it when it's loose.

In any event, I'm NOT saying these aren't still problems that bug me, and should reasonably bug other people... buuuuut... saying they're NEW issues that are just effecting these NEW waves, I think is unfair... because they're totally not.

And frankly I don't know that they're preventable problems... Minimates have tiny very similar looking parts. I mean they probably deal with a few THOUSAND arms a day when they're manufacturing these things? I'd guess? I mean we can whine to Chuck 'til we're blue in the face, but some factory worker in China churning through a zillion arms is still just as likely to mix up a left and a right here and there.

Sooooo... I dunno. I hate to sound like I'm defending defective products... because I don't mean to be... If your minimate has a faulty part, I DO think you should be able to contact diamond about it, and I DO think they should do someting about it. (I hear that process yields mixed results frankly, so I DO think they should step it up a notch in that regard).

By the same token, I just think... when you're dealing with 2 inch tall action figures, each with a minimum of 11 parts, most with even more parts... you're bound to get a hiccup here and there even under the most stringent quality control circumstances. *Shrug*

For every minimate I've ever gotten with a backwards arm, I've gotten about 6 dozen that didn't have backwards arms... I guess is my point.

Edited by Gillbob316

got my sets today, & my warlock came with no hairpiece--does anyone know if the same hair was included with any other mate?

also, (maybe this has been mentioned before), but magiks chest seems more curvy than the other new mutant girls--just an observation. ;)

I'm planning on using the extra Hank Pym hairpiece from the Avengers Boxset when I find this set.

Picked up another Wolvie/Mags set today to replace the Magneto leg that wasn't painted right on my first pack....just to find another pack with the exact same problem! But, at least I'm finding them in stores, right? <_<

Also, can someone who has both the Lizard from TRU Wave 9 and the LCS Wave 37 compare the two? Specifically, are the legs on the Wave 37 version made from the same 'soft plastic' as the TRU Wave 9 version? I'm noticing that different releases of these almost appear to be using a different (lesser) quality of plastic. The softer plastic 'mates appear to be more bow-legged.

Hard to tell with the camera on the phone, but Magneto's left leg is a completely different shade of red than the right leg. It also doesn't have the glossy topcoat that the right leg has.

magslegs.jpg

Edit: Just noticed that it is only the front of the left leg that is miscolored, the sides and back of the leg match the right leg.

Edited by youbastards

Hard to tell with the camera on the phone, but Magneto's left leg is a completely different shade of red than the right leg. It also doesn't have the glossy topcoat that the right leg has.

magslegs.jpg

Edit: Just noticed that it is only the front of the left leg that is miscolored, the sides and back of the leg match the right leg.

Oh ok I totally see it. Mine doesn't have the problem, but I'll bet it is frustrating. Can't even check beforehand...that does stink.

I'm pretty happy with the new Wolvie and his redesigned mask.

wolverinezt.jpg

This Wolverine/Magneto set may not be labled as a TRU exclusive set, but neither was the Battle Damaged Wolverine/Captain America from Wave 6.

When you find the new series, if you are debating picking this set up, I would definitely recommend it.

I'm pretty happy with the new Wolvie and his redesigned mask.

wolverinezt.jpg

This Wolverine/Magneto set may not be labled as a TRU exclusive set, but neither was the Battle Damaged Wolverine/Captain America from Wave 6.

When you find the new series, if you are debating picking this set up, I would definitely recommend it.

Eyes look fine on this one! No new mates at my TRU today. They had gotten a truck but hadn't unpacked when I was there and couldn't tell me what was on it. WTF

Spotting in Northern Cali, Pleasant Hill TRU got these in yesterday.

This gives me hope that Elk Grove, Modesto or Stockton will get these this weekend.

I went to Pleasant Hill yesterday and was able to pick up a Lizard/Spidey set. Hope they get some more stock in. I really want that Cannonball / Shatterstar and Warlock / Magik sets

That had never dawned on me before , I wonder what the motive is for not giving either set the 'exclusive' sticker?

I think they're just limited to two per wave.

Technically the ENTIRE Fantastic Four wave was TRU exclusives, but only two sets in that wave had the silver sticker too. (And frankly, I'd prefer it if all waves were like this. I always pass on the retread sets in the TRU waves. The more original mates the better, imo. [but no ridiculous short packs! Pack them in even numbers dammit!])

The stickers seem to have taken on the new meaning of 'Short-Packed' rather than just 'Exclusive'. In the F4 wave, was it not the two short-packed figures who got the silver stickers?

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Nessex