UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New SRP $8.99 a 2-pack, $17.99 a 4-pack

sha_ckwave

The placards at NYCC list MSRP at a whopping $ 4.50 a minimate.

All I can say to DST/AA is good luck to you. Taking them from $ 6.99 a set to $ 7.49 or even $ 7.99 seems fair.

All the way to $ 4.50 a minimate ?

I might be done. That's a rip-off mark-up, plain and simple.

And if I'm not done, my minimate buying will go down accordingly to adjust for this BS inflation.

No more extra sets purchased.

No more 'on the fence' purchases, those now equal 'NO'.

No more army building.

No more customs kit-bashing...

...NOT AT THAT PRICE.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone hates paying more but I cant see it putting a dent in sales. More new collectors coming in because of TRU waves will plug any gaps on anyone not buying and the price increase will be the norm for them.

I also agree with the comment of paying a bit more for packs with more accessories. The minimate fireman etc are packed with stuff so well worth the price.

The Minimates at my TRU had just went to $7.49 for the Fantastic Four wave, so it's going from $6.99 in June to $8.99 in November/December for me. That's a huge increase in a short time. I was leaning towards picking up both the New Mutants and X-force because they looked like excellent 'mates even though I didn't have much connection to the characters. Doubt that will happen now.

this price increase will slow me down now doubt -but lately there has been one quality issue after another and now the price is even rising again for the second time in months-ill be optomistic that the quality issues will be a focus on the extra money there asking we will have to wait and see - my hopes are quality rises and we get more accessories and attachments on the little guys themselves

This is probably going to slow me down a bit. While the AU$ is pretty good at the moment, it doesn't seem to impact the mark-up we pay on toys here.

A 2-pack of minimates is usually about $14.95 here - and that's with the dollar trading at only slightly under US98c.

I'll still collect them, but i doubt i'll be buying sets like the Adversary 4-pack or the Brown Wolverine & Magneto 2-Pack at whatever the new prices end up being down here in Australia.

Honestly?

I seriously doubt these price changes will affect much of anything. Moreover, I'd bet good money that most people SAYING they're going to change their buying habits won't actually do it. Why?

We have a sickness.

Some of us, to much greater degrees than others, sure. But we DO have a sickness. Think of anytime one of us has actually used the phrase "I need" when referring to a toy. On a subconscious level, we believe that. Sure, if you sat us down with food on one plate and minimates on another and starved us for a week, we'd go for the food. We're not zombies. But, by and large, we don't consider what we're theoretically passing up when we make our toy purchases.

Nessex, I can't so much speak for you or other foreigners, I only know from the American experience. Simply put, we don't have the good sense to prioritize and budget. And as long as someone will give us a piece of plastic, regardless of the interest we're paying, we'll gladly add to our debt just to make sure we have the things we want.

To anyone who deposits a pay check, takes out spending cash, and makes their purchases based on the money in their wallets? Sure. I'll believe you'll cut back on spending now. But to anyone with a line of credit and a plastic crack habit? Face it, Tiger... Diamond just hit the jackpot.

Personally, though, I'm not even going to try to make any such claims. Minimates are priced according to the market and their some of the best product out there at said prices. There's a reason I gave up MU in favor of completing my teams via MMs... they're better. Better toys, better value. So they go up a bit. I can live with that, so long as it stays within reason.

One thing I started doing earlier this year was to keep a spreadsheet listing my purchases so I could get an idea of exactly how much I was buying. Unfortunately, I got lazy mid-year and stopped, but I really need to get a better handle on what I buy. Maybe the hike will impact my purchases, but if it does at all, I'll likely stop buying extra packs for possible customizing and trade.

One thing I started doing earlier this year was to keep a spreadsheet listing my purchases so I could get an idea of exactly how much I was buying. Unfortunately, I got lazy mid-year and stopped, but I really need to get a better handle on what I buy. Maybe the hike will impact my purchases, but if it does at all, I'll likely stop buying extra packs for possible customizing and trade.

I've tried the same thing, and kept it up for about a week. I think something in the back of my sub-conscious didn't want me completing that spreadsheet. If I did, and was forced to face the harrowing reality of it, I would probably be forced to quit collecting altogether.

Ignorance is bliss, IMO.

I don't mind the price hike, and I don't see it affecting my collecting, as Minimates have been pretty constant in their MSRP pricing for years. If anything I can see this affecting the other items I purchase, as I'd much rather have 20 new Minimates than 1 Sideshow figure @$90.00.

Although, like others have already said, I hope that with the extra money comes more accessories, better QC, and improved availability.

If I did, and was forced to face the harrowing reality of it, I would probably be forced to quit collecting altogether.

Ignorance is bliss, IMO.

Amen! :)

I kind of feel that we've seen the inclusion of more accessories and extra parts recently and the price didn't really change much from when we weren't getting much. I really think if this is accurate that it's really past due for what all has been included recently. Of course, I still don't like it, but I'd easily buy them at a higher price point even if nothing changes.

I have to say this price hike doesn't phase me all that much. The DC line was expensive when it came out but it meant getting all kinds of newly sculpted pieces. Marvel as of late has been giving us lots of newly sculpted items and lots of extra pieces per pack to make alternate looks/costumes for characters and IMHO it really has brought a new "shine" to the Marvel line. In the end if it means a continuation to what we have seen this past year in variety AND a upgrade to the quality control aspects I think the price hike is worth the extra money.

Edited by BannersID

The rule of thumb for the price of any Minimate set once it has arrived in the UK & in your hands is approximately the equivalent of $ = £ , $8.99 equates to £8.99 whilst $17.99 equates to £17.99 . There are far more sophisticated methods of equating prices but by the time you've added shipping & the occasional/now usual customs fees that's how it works ( for me anyway). The exchange rate as of today would therefore mean that in real terms a 4 pack will cost us $28.44 & a 2-pack will cost us $14.21. Staggering huh ?

We really love our Minimates over here ;)