UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I need strength please

minijeff

so another week has passed with still NO answers!!! I practically jump every time there is a long distance call or I have messages on my cell phone while at work....it is really draining on me and my wife is feeling it worse than I am. This week Kyrra had to have isotopes injected on thursday(this did not go well as it took my wife and two nurse to hold her still as she has really gotten to hate/fear needles now), some prep drink on wednesday and then a scan today. so more tests to wait for the results of, yay!

now the part that did give me a smile is that we should watch out to not make her mad since the radioactive isotope they use is GAMMA radiation since it has a shorter half life....gotta watch for her to hulk out on us I guess....could have a youg She-Hulk in the house!

thanks again for supporting my nervous system and heres to some good minimate weeks to keep me distracted!

Jeff

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jeff,

My experience with medical issues is that no news is usually good news, they only rush to tell you the worst, so I know it's hard but treat the delay as a positive thing.

I hope all goes well and my thoughts are with your daughter and the rest of the family.

T.

just a quick note to anyone still hanging out for news, today we will know whats going on...the Dr called on Monday and said that he is going over the pathologists report from the results and wants to confer with said pathologist about the details and will in turn call us today to share the findings. I get the vibe that its not as serious as it could be but that just could be my wishings too....anyways, I'll be trying to work today while waiting to here whats going on and when I get a chance I'll post the findings here too! Thanks!

Jeff

We just spent the weekend celebrating my sisters wedding and the party continues in the Burton house. Kyrra will be fine!!!

She has a tumor called a neuroblastoma. There are three types of neuroblastoma. The immature form which metastisizes (spreads), a middle kind which may or may not spread and a tumor called a Ganglioneuroma. A ganglioneuroma is a tumor (which we refer to as a meatball) of mature cells. This type of meatball does not spread. The biopsy of the center of the meatball contained scar tissue/fat and ganglion cells (which are the mature type of cells).

Based on Kyrra's overall health, appearance and normal test results on all of her other tests (thank god!) they feel it she has the Ganglioneuroma. This ganglioneuroma is located in the adrenal gland on top of her right kidney. Thankfully she has two adrenal glands so there is not any worry there. There is also no worry about the meatball affecting her kidney at this time.

Our next step is to talk with the Surgeon about removal. Since it is summer he is currently on holidays but as soon as he's back you can bet your boots that I will be calling him. If he feels the meatball cannot safely be removed they will monitor it with ultrasound and periodic CT scans.

There is a 2 percent chance that the meatball could revert back to the immature form and start causing isssues like spreading. This is extremely rare. There is also a small chance the meatball could grow on it's own in size. These are the things they will be monitoring Kyrra for if surgery is not an option.

NOTE: We are calling the tumor a meatball because it sounds less scary and foreboding to a four year old who doesn't understand what is going inside of her little body. Don't think that we are not taking this with absolute seriousness. I'm the type who makes jokes and tries to use funny words and humor to deal with things. Otherwise I am not sure how I would've surivived the past three weeks.

I will update when we know surgery news and options. Many huge thanks to you guys for your positive words and thoughts and to all of you that I have rambled with off board, its been a great help...I can now get back to work on the comic book that some of you may want to see more of and all that good stuff!

Jeff of the Miniacs

Rarely does a week start so well. It's really good to hear your little one will be alright. I'll keep my fingers crossed the surgeon will be able to operate. Also, calling it a meatball makes it less scary to me, and I'm 29. Cancer, surgery, and all of those other big words are so ominous. I totally get why you'd call it a meatball around your daughter.

Great to hear it was good news, and good luck to you and the family in the next step.

You can call it whatever you want -- no way that you're not taking things seriously. (A big F.U. from me to anyone who says otherwise.) /rant

I'm glad that things have taken a turn for the better & here's to them continuing. :) Thanks for keeping us posted. With no news for such a big stretch I was starting to get worried. Hugs & love to K & your family!

• 4 weeks later...

So I think this is the last I need to update this one, we talked to the surgeon the other week and found out a bit more about her meatball. He said it is quite a bit bigger than I had figured it was and even gave us copies of the CT scan pictures of it. Now as far as removal goes, because it is non-cancerous(finally a direct confirmation) he feels it is too risky to remove since it is wrapped up and around the veins and arteries of her right kidney. So now we just need to find out the monitoring plan for her.

And now I am off to enjoy her and her two sisters 5th birthday festivities! Cant believe they are already five!

Jeff of the Miniacs