UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

Yeah, if you look at the large image this version seems to have some distinct differences.

-Yellow eyes instead of Toy Fair green.

-Skin seems to be a dark silvery metallic instead of the scaly green of Toy Fair.

-The teeth seemed to be painted gold.

-Lower jaw seems to be missing (or maybe opened wider?)

I'm not really sure what's going on with the leg. I'm not really sure it is a leg. I wonder if this sample got a bit manhandled and came apart in the bag. But I can't seem to match that 'leg' to a part on the Toy Fair version. Curiouser and curiouser.

*EDIT*

Ah, the pattern on the 'leg' looks a lot like the butt of one of Cable's guns.

Edited by Ivan

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if you look at the large image this version seems to have some distinct differences.

-Yellow eyes instead of Toy Fair green.

-Skin seems to be a dark silvery metallic instead of the scaly green of Toy Fair.

-The teeth seemed to be painted gold.

-Lower jaw seems to be missing (or maybe opened wider?)

I'm not really sure what's going on with the leg. I'm not really sure it is a leg. I wonder if this sample got a bit manhandled and came apart in the bag. But I can't seem to match that 'leg' to a part on the Toy Fair version. Curiouser and curiouser.

*EDIT*

Ah, the pattern on the 'leg' looks a lot like the butt of one of Cable's guns.

The armor looks black. And I concur with the Cable gun observation.

I think Ivan debunked that one -- I can't see a whole new sculpt coming out for this exclusive. New colorway, yes... and my goodness, it's a distinctly different colorway. Be interesting to see how varied they go... maybe a red Gator for SDCC?

• 3 weeks later...

So, my buddy that went to C2E2 with me is a huge Battle Beast collector and was excited to get the exclusive. However, after playing around with mine for a bit, he decided he didn't want his and he gave it to me. Does anybody have an extra Toy Fair version they'd like to trade for it?

So, my buddy that went to C2E2 with me is a huge Battle Beast collector and was excited to get the exclusive. However, after playing around with mine for a bit, he decided he didn't want his and he gave it to me. Does anybody have an extra Toy Fair version they'd like to trade for it?

PM Sent

I've been comparing pics of the Toy Fair gator and the C2E2 one, and I just noticed that the C2E2 gator's jaw seems to be open wider.

Am I missing something here? Did the C2E2 gator get a slightly different headsculpt or is the lower jaw actually articulated?

EDIT: Added comparison photo (apologies to Ivan and God Magnus)

BBgatorcomparison.jpg

Edited by NorthRaider

Another fun observation: the C2E2 gator's gun is a reuse of Wave 33 Cable's. (I guessed right away that the new Cable's gun sculpt would get used the moment "futuristic gun" started getting thrown around. Yay me! :P)

It is not articulated. It is just a separate piece so they made the C2E2 one have an open mouth.

Ohhh, now that explains it! Thanks vbpanizzi!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering having never been to a major comic convention how does one obtain these exclusives, specifically this C2E2 Battle Beast? Is it just a matter of waiting in a line and getting it for free or does it cost money? Any info is appreciated.

Promos are free...they are given out ,often at a given time,to the hordes of fans waiting patiently in line. OK I've only been to the one Convention, SDCC 08, but I learned enough to know that this is about par for the course. Watching Chuck on those recent youtube videos from C2E2 throwing 'bread to the ducks' made me wonder if I'll ever bother humiliating myself again ....& I'm serious...I'll stick to buying mine on ebay & enjoying the show.

• 4 weeks later...
If you can't drive to Chicago because you live too far away doesn't make you un-deserving of getting one of these. It just makes it your bad luck that you don't live closer to a metropolitan region where conventions like this are held.

*Takes off staff hat*

This attitude REALLY pisses me off... You know exactly what KMZ is saying, why should you "deserve" something that you are not willing to put the effort/time/money into that the people going to the show have?

Life is all about priorities, your priorities conflict with going to the show, DST's priorities are probably to give these to people who show enough commitment to visit their booth etc, If you visited the booth you'd get one, if you cannot or will not make that happen then don't expect one to just fall in your lap life doesn't work that way!

Maybe some folks going will be kind and try to pass on any extras to help others out but DO NOT confuse that with you deserving it, you dont.

T.

*puts staff hat back on*

1st, who is anybody to tell someone they do or dont deserve anything. I'd take a whiner-baby over self-righteousness anyday.

2nd, May as well burn that hat. I'm disabled and physically can't (Oh, you knew I had to respond. It was a given). Please tell me that I don't want it bad enough. I did what I could in my position, such as putting up embarrassing requests on MMHQ, in a couple threads around MMMV, & Chuck was apparently nice enough to put one up in an Ask DST Q&As [READ HERE]. Funny too, I didn't hear anything from 1 person. Made me feel real good too, considering the majority of people on here, if they check out anything, it's always MMHQ & the Q&A. The amount of dedication Chuck asked for was: "...find me at a trade show and ask." My heroes.

Those of you that did go; how many of you were able to grant the miracle where modern science can't, in order to not be disabled long enough to attend (I know even if I lived in Chicago, I couldn't, although I'd have a better chance of knowing someone to go FOR ME), or who had a family & quit an important job to do so, or missed out on your child being born, or robbed a bank, yadda yadda? Ha, I don't think anyone who went can really argue dedication to someone who won't attend for reasons such as those, because the amount of dedication it takes to go (a ticket, few responsibilities to hold you back) is usually less than the reasons not to. If you were dedicated enough to come to my booth over one of those reasons, I'd probably give you a promo of what my lunch would look like in a couple of hours (that is if I remember to take the medication that allows me to do so).

When did a goal as a Minimates fan become hitting the mark of "@$$hole" to get these promos (or prevent people just like you from getting them, which in turn goes back to getting them, so same same). I mean jeez, were those that have been so kind to me with Trades, etc., just doing so, cause they were gonna get something out of it on the other end? I'm still under 1yr as a MMMV member and as much as Minimates give me joy in a world where I realistically don't have many options for such, it makes me not want to have anything to do with "high-chairs". At least I've got the little mates, I suppose... So if the bar is set by "effort/time/money", doesn't that really apply to... anyone who really tries?

For those others of you who couldn't attend C2E2 with good reason and have yet to obtain one, I bought a few of the C2E2 Battle Beasts Minimates Promos MIP from Ebay with my own money, and did so in order to bring them back here to the collectors. I know that there are a lot of us who might not have the money to get one 2nd hand, or that may just prefer not to pay for them, but I did this to allow you the option of Trading for them with Minimates that you already have. Now I could probably say, "If you wanted them as bad as I did, then you should've had the dedication to look as vigorously as I have.", but why should I? This is a community, right? Where we come together with like-minds to have fun & help each other out? I must have joined the wrong site.

Am I missing something here? Did the C2E2 gator get a slightly different headsculpt or is the lower jaw actually articulated?

It does look different & if it isn't articulated then it ought to be! :jawdrop: *

With the trademark removable parts & pushing the articulation record, I'd think it would be a well-welcomed smart move to have articulated jaws. AND what beasts don't battle with their jaws..., besides a seahorse, aaaannnnddd maybe a bodacious bovine. He'd rather eat grass than kick your [end scene]

I was just wondering having never been to a major comic convention how does one obtain these exclusives, specifically this C2E2 Battle Beast? Is it just a matter of waiting in a line and getting it for free or does it cost money? Any info is appreciated.

DSTChuck: "JP we’re working with a couple web sites to give a few of the Battle Beasts away to fans so keep your eyes open."

This is a community, right? Where we come together with like-minds to have fun & help each other out? I must have joined the wrong site.

You've joined the right site & I admire your perseverance JP, I'm also impressed & heartened by your motivation . Since my PM to you led you to this thread I am aware that you've only just read it in its entirety for the first time ....other members might not be aware of that.

Just saying.

1st, who is anybody to tell someone they do or dont deserve anything. I'd take a whiner-baby over self-righteousness anyday.

2nd, May as well burn that hat. I'm disabled and physically can't (Oh, you knew I had to respond. It was a given). Please tell me that I don't want it bad enough. I did what I could in my position, such as putting up embarrassing requests on MMHQ, in a couple threads around MMMV, & Chuck was apparently nice enough to put one up in an Ask DST Q&As [READ HERE]. Funny too, I didn't hear anything from 1 person. Made me feel real good too, considering the majority of people on here, if they check out anything, it's always MMHQ & the Q&A. The amount of dedication Chuck asked for was: "...find me at a trade show and ask." My heroes.

Please consider the position you put yourself in here JP, You are not only coming into this late but obviously without either reading the whole thread or understanding the background to it, the use of the word deserve is what was being questioned here, go look up deserve in a dictionary.

If you want to take part in discussions on here can I suggest you consider picking the ones that are still active?

T.

Alright, I'm going to weigh in on this, because I'm seeing people mix stuff up and from what I just went over and re-read, this is what I'm getting.

• Mystery Man has said he deserves a promo as much as anyone else deserves one.
  • Karamazov has said that "unless you actually go to Chicago for this convention, you don't really deserve one"
  • TBT has not said that you don't deserve one if you don't go, and doesn't seem to be opposed to people asking, as long as they don't demand.
  • BHM has stated that if you ask he'll try.
  • Cappy believes "nobody 'deserves' any Minimate, or any other toy at that, nor the privilege of driving. Not even people attending conventions." He also states there is a difference between asking and demanding.
  • JP is upset at the attitude towards those who are asking for minimates.

I'm also noticing a few things, namely that no one has outright stated that they just DESERVE to own the toy for no reason. They've said everyone deserves it equally or those who make the trip deserve it, but not just "I deserve a free minimate.

My thoughts on this? While no one inherently deserves a minimate, all of us have the right to ask. This community was founded on generosity. If not for both my own and Shane's, I wouldn't have stuck around. (long story short, I bought him a $60 bust at Gencon, having JUST signed up to these forums and totally trusting a complete stranger to pay me, and he not only repaid me but gave me SEVERAL hard to find minimates as well.

I'm really offended by those of you getting angry at people requesting minimates. Not all of us can make it to the damn convention, no matter how hard we try. We don't claim that you MUST get us minimates because we DESERVE them, we ask if you can because this community is known for its generosity and tight-knit members.

I thought so, anyway...

I led JP to this thread when he requested direction & I know that he decided to read through the whole thread because of his huge enthusiasm for Minimates & esp. Battle Beasts. Unfortunately for him he picked up on something that was probably misinterpretted by just about everybody who got involved in the discussion when that discussion was fresh.....the first time around. I respect everybody's opinion here but this 'deserve' thing was contentious last time so is it really wise discussing it again ? I think not but my guess is "here we go again " :(

I might as well weigh in again by saying that promos cause nothing but trouble.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I respect everybody's opinion here but this 'deserve' thing was contentious last time so is it really wise discussing it again ?

It's not, I agree and don't think anything worthwhile will come of it so lets get this thread back on topic shall we?

T.

p.s. J.P. If you really feel the need to clarify what I had an issue with then send me a PM and we can discuss it that way.

[*]JP is upset at the attitude towards those who are asking for minimates.

...I'm really offended by those of you getting angry at people requesting minimates. Not all of us can make it to the damn convention, no matter how hard we try. We don't claim that you MUST get us minimates because we DESERVE them, we ask if you can because this community is known for its generosity and tight-knit members.

I thought so, anyway...

One More Rant Post-Initial-Upset to Smooth Sharp Edges

(I'm going to place a "*" before my reasons for upset.)

Hey Deadpool, Thank You so much for taking the time to list this, as it puts much in perspective and is a pretty right-on reference to the attitudes leading up to now. What you summed up above is exactly where the fire came from to spark my post. A thread is never dead with points left to be said, and a response was needed to *the rotten attitudes towards community members for simply asking for help with obtaining promos, *without knowing why or why not one could or couldn't attend, & *without knowing if they may be willing to compensate the convention attendee as a Thank You in exchange. I for one know that I opened my personal collection up as barter, although no-one gave it a chance to see what they could've come away with in exchange for a FREE figure... I suppose this is where assumption gets us, because while telling everyone that they don't deserve a promo because they're not dedicated enough (in return saying one does deserve one because they are = this definition of "deserve" rant doesn't hold up), I happened along and read the topic in full, from front to back. Those in accusation who seem to think they can determine as to who should / shouldn't get a promo (I'm throwing "deserve" to the wind) based on just being asked, * are telling us that if we can't attend, we shouldn't have one. That was the initial anger, yes? Of course it was, anyone who can read, can see it. You wrote it. SO, here I come, and I can't attend conventions by cruelty of nature,.. I shouldn't be allowed one? For all they knew, everyone who asked could have had a medical condition keeping them from attending...

I really wasn't going to respond about this again after my original piece, because I already said it, you know? I don't like online arguments and my only purpose was standing up against something that was offensive that had been let to slide when the focus was swayed... but there are some jagged edges seemingly trying to cut me that I need to do my best to smooth out before I step out. On the other-hand, I'm really not trying to "cut" anyone either, just trying to finish a discussion that was offensive to me, others, and the nature of this community website, and indeed WAS NOT concluded, while hoping some may take heed of certain words. Truthfully, the real conclusion should be an apology, as it's just the compassionate thing to do, although I suppose asking others why they can't attend conventions and looking into helping them out would probably be too... Also, it is your choice to get mad at me if you prefer, but when you sit back, remember that all I am doing is taking what was written, pushing it up to your face, and saying, do you realize how you were acting, and that it was like walking by me, I ask for help, you spit on me, and keep strutting? Although the situation not so serious, it is the attitude that makes it dangerous...

Note too that my response had nothing to do with this post-topic of the "dictionary meaning of Deserve", which is of course pointless and possibly never-ending, and only functions to take focus away from the initial issue: the voices of a few believing that if you don't attend conventions, you shouldn't get a promo (UNLESS someone gets one for you <--- which I couldn't find offered). One feeling entitled enough to say that someone does or does not "deserve" something because "you are not dedicated if you don't attend these conventions" is a problem, isn't it? You would think that the staff of a community would be trying to enforce that communal spirit, being supportive however they can. I agree on the points made about those that just expect others to get promos, etc for them with no thought of anything in return being rude, because what entitles them as well, but no one was ever given the chance to dispute that label, and the only place this philosophy is mentioned did not come from the members asking for help with promos, but from those complaining about being asked, meaning it essentially did not exist... MMMV gets it's fuel from being a supportive community of like minds. How dull would it be if only a certain most-dedicated, "deserving" few (based on the powers-that-be's definition of "deserving") would be allowed to enjoy it?..

Although I am Very Happy that since the short amount of time that I have been here, this is really the only example I have seen that infuriated me so, I was really excited about this Battle Beasts topic and left with a sour taste in my mouth after reading from the 1st post to the most recent (at the time). And I mean REALLY excited. Think about your favorite toy line and character group. This is what Battle Beasts Minimates will be for me, and when Buttheadsmate told me about this topic and where to find it, I was immediately in! I was psyched to add my input for discussion and hear other neat ideas from fellow members. And I really enjoyed the bulk of the interesting discussions, such as the future of interchangable parts + armor + weapons, etc., and I was proud to be a member of MMMV after the handling of that LittleRubberGuys.com situation, and I even enjoyed the ridiculously fun claiming of Battle Beasts characters and have my own in mind,.. but then it became almost "Classist" and I was turned off.

I do my best to stand up for what I feel's right anyhow, but when it applied to me with the hard work that I put into trying to obtain these promos as a disabled person with unfortunate limitations & little dinero ($), and with my calls to my community for assistance falling on deaf ears, & even STILL I brought promos here to give back to the MMMV collectors, well of course there's going to be some gasoline in my candor. I have no place for snobs who can't put themselves in others' shoes in my life, so if they can't turn their obvious mistakes into future masteries, swallowing pride, and put ego aside, then it's usually bye-bye relationship. What's the point of having a relationship that exists to fuel an other's ego alone?.. My health issues have caused me to see friends and family fall away with not a glance back. I became a burden to some, even though it was the fault of the situation, out of my control, and my best just wasn't good enough as long as I'm disabled. You learn who truly cares for you when you need others' assistance in order to keep living, and the ONLY thing I have learned from needing those who only need themselves, is that I will be hurt with time.

Just recently, if it wasn't for the love of an old friend and his wife to move me to GA and take me in, when my live-in fiancee in NC left me in March because she wanted a more "normal life", I might not exist this month (a longer story)... Anyone in positions of power and authority can fall, and where you now an expert, were too once a novice, and with time many can sit where you are, if not further... The key to having the most educated opinions; always look at it from the other person's perspective before your own.

I mentioned Buttheadsmate earlier. He is the type of member I hope to be, as he's super knowledgeable & active, but an awesome community leader too (Best Muffins at the Bake Sale!), and as a 1st time online board member of any kind, he's helped me in many areas that may be considered annoying or amateurish, but never once has he made me feel stupid or unwanted, except that time he said I was stupid and unwanted ;) The best way I can describe his assistance is that exemplification; "the neighborly thing to do". Thanks so much for your help, BHM.

Feel free to message at me with anything that you feel is left to be said, for / against, as I have said enough, and am done. I didn't like what was said, and I did what I felt I had to, but the remainder of my energy in this Battle Beasts Topic will be to get back on track. That's why I came here in the 1st place. :)

Edited by J.P.

Well congratulations on being this months epic drama queen J.P!

When I asked you to send me a PM to resolve any issues it was simply to keep this thread back on track.

If you want to hold a revolution because you think that I'm corrupt & evil then please feel free to make a new thread for that, this thread is to discuss BATTLE BEASTS.

Anyone else taking it further off topic will have their posts removed.

T.