UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us Marvel Minimates exclusive in Toyfare

hellpop

My guess is that they won't release the Red Skull as a two-pack so you have a reason to buy the Villains 4-pack.

That's my guess also. I was thinking that I wouldn't get the four packs if these are in TRU, but if there's no Cap/Skull pack I'm not sure I'm interested. This should help Minimate sales all around though and hopefully keep TRU happy with the line.

Edited by groundhog7s

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably just think the others will sell better. Not being a "MIB" collector, this doesn't affect me much, but it sucks for some of you who are, as your only Cap/Red Skull 2-pack will include some lame-o imposter Cap :(

It is completely bizarre that I should like Captain America & when Steve Rogers bought it I was gutted....truly gutted...I know I should know better but I was. I was also ambivalent towards the 'Winter Soldier' stepping into Rogers' shoes/boots.

I can honestly say that ,for me, the current Captain America run is some of the best Marvel stuff I have ever read .

Great artwork & particularly good writing is taking us to that defining moment when Rogers returns . In the meantime Bucky is doing a damn fine job whilst Brian Braddock is just plain embarrassing me!

Army builders...hah! My FCBD boys'll still kick their asses ......whoever they are :yes:

Great News about the TRU stuff .......begging letters are being prepared.

I can honestly say that ,for me, the current Captain America run is some of the best Marvel stuff I have ever read .

Great artwork & particularly good writing is taking us to that defining moment when Rogers returns . In the meantime Bucky is doing a damn fine job whilst Brian Braddock is just plain embarrassing me!

I can't dispute any of this, as I haven't read a single issue. But, to me, from a marketing perspective (the reason Rogers "died" to begin with), this is akin to Azrael taking over for Batman, or to "Return of the Supermen." I didn't want anything to do with those storylines, and I don't want anything to do with this one. I might be willing to give him a chance and read the comic, if they weren't 3 bucks each or whatever. At those prices, it is hard to be a casual comic book fan nowadays, picking up random comics just for the hell of it.

Warren Ellis took some really bad characters and stories in Stormwatch, and made it pretty great. Alan Moore did the same with Supreme. But I still wouldn't want Minimates of some of those ridiculous characters, no matter how great their stories are/were.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm confused (not difficult I know!) I'm guessing that the Wolvie and Magneto are going to be the same figures as in the Heroes 4 pack? Is Gobby from the villains pack or from an upcoming wave?

I think DST are making a massive mistake packaging the masked heroes with their human faces showing. Kids don't want to see Peter Parker, they want Spider-Man! The removable mask/alternate look should be an extra 'Wow' factor to be discovered once the box is open.

I have nothing against the Minimate version of Bucky Cap. In addition to BHM's arguments about the comic, I believe that if DST did nothing but release the same "classic" Marvel heroes over and over again without injecting some weirdo variety in the mix (i.e. no Bucky Cap Minimate, just redo upon redo of Steve Rogers Cap) then obviously Minimates wouldn't be the same fun, surprising, occasionally wall-banging line we all know and love today. :P Plus, now I can take comfort in the fact that if DST can release Bucky Cap, then they can release *other* weirdo characters too. ;)

Back on topic: Now we definitely need to hear a release date for these. As much as I want that Wonder Man/Union Jack pack, to this day international shipping (even between "trusted" boardies) scares me. (Read my recent post to McDurg in the Master Feedback thread and you'll see my point. Stupid PhilPost <_<)

I'm confused (not difficult I know!) I'm guessing that the Wolvie and Magneto are going to be the same figures as in the Heroes 4 pack? Is Gobby from the villains pack or from an upcoming wave?

Looks like it: the TRU wave and Heroes/Villains mates look one and the same.

I think DST are making a massive mistake packaging the masked heroes with their human faces showing. Kids don't want to see Peter Parker, they want Spider-Man! The removable mask/alternate look should be an extra 'Wow' factor to be discovered once the box is open.

Maybe there's a practical reason. I remember a post a boardie made before about getting his DCD Deathstroke minimate, only when he took off the mask he didn't realize that the face decal on Deathstroke hadn't properly dried yet, and was thus ruined after sticking to the inside of the mask in package or something.

Either that or DST's just not taking any chances with those kids who might be too dense to realize Minimate Spiderman's mask comes off.

Looks like it: the TRU wave and Heroes/Villains mates look one and the same.

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe there's a practical reason. I remember a post a boardie made before about getting his DCD Deathstroke minimate, only when he took off the mask he didn't realize that the face decal on Deathstroke hadn't properly dried yet, and was thus ruined after sticking to the inside of the mask in package or something.

Either that or DST's just not taking any chances with those kids who might be too dense to realize Minimate Spiderman's mask comes off.

I have to disagree. We've had plenty of masked characters shipped wearing their mask and I've only ever heard of one person that had a problem, which is the example you gave. I just think DST are making a huge marketing boob here.

I have nothing against the Minimate version of Bucky Cap. In addition to BHM's arguments about the comic, I believe that if DST did nothing but release the same "classic" Marvel heroes over and over again without injecting some weirdo variety in the mix (i.e. no Bucky Cap Minimate, just redo upon redo of Steve Rogers Cap) then obviously Minimates wouldn't be the same fun, surprising, occasionally wall-banging line we all know and love today. :P Plus, now I can take comfort in the fact that if DST can release Bucky Cap, then they can release *other* weirdo characters too. ;)

I haven't read any of the new Cap stuff, so I don't know how Bucky stacks up as Cap (I don't think I like the idea of 616 Cap carrying a gun). But the design is pretty cool (making it hugely different than Az-bats), and the Captain Bucky 'mate looks badass. It is one of my most anticipated 'mates of the year. I need to get around to reading this stuff, but from what I have heard, it has been handled very well.

Back on topic, these look to me like they are all just Heroes/Villains repacks.

But the design is pretty cool (making it hugely different than Az-bats), and the Captain Bucky 'mate looks badass.

But in the 1990s (when Liefeld ruled the earth), that kind of look was "bad-ass." I suspect that, in 10 years, people will view "new" Cap's design the same way that we now view Azrael and "new" Superboy, another vestige of the "cool" 1990s. We can't tell how ridiculous things look until we look with hindsight, apparently. Here are some pics of these abominations, for those who are unfamiliar:

post-1827-1235579197_thumb.jpg

post-1827-1235579205_thumb.jpg

:sick:

At least Superboy had the decency not to have any unnecessary pouches, but they both have the unnecessary yellow garter belt. . .

Edited by karamazov80

... Az-Bats kinda looks like a bad techno-Spawn. (Another minimate license we'll only ever see in our dreams. <_<)

Am kinda hoping Bucky Cap won't suffer the same fate though... compared to your examples the Cap costume redesign was fairly minimal, bar the whole gun-toting thing.

I always thought Az-bats was pretty stupid looking (then, now, tomorrow), but you're right. It was the "in" thing. There's a huge difference between product of the time and just plain bad. Superboy wasn't the best design and was certainly a product of the times, but it doesn't really offend me all that much. But this doesn't mean every redesign can't be "classic cool." I dig the modern Cap design. For now, anyway.

Edited by Turtle

I probably was blowing things a bit out of proportion :D After looking at his pic again, I have to admit that the changed Cap design is more subtle and far less bombastic than the examples I showed there. In truth, he's just original Cap, but more shiny and with more black. I still hate him, though.

Doesn't look like it. Not unless the first two TRU waves were major bestsellers, and DST decided to pull this bizarre retroactive rerelease thing with wave 23. But that seems totally unlikely. Most probably the next waves that'll get TRU-fied will be either waves 27 or 28. (But that's just me.)

EDIT: Duh, wave 26 will probably get released at TRU (hence the Silver Fox/Agent Zero exclusives)

Edited by NorthRaider

EDIT: Duh, wave 26 will probably get released at TRU (hence the Silver Fox/Agent Zero exclusives)

I initially thought that, but then considered that the first TRU wave was 24, with TRU exclusives from other, movie waves, and figured they would do the smart thing by releasing the Psylocke/Skrull wave with the Wolvie movie exclusives.

Edited by karamazov80

So, back on topic again, does this mean Series 23 won't show up at TRU?

I much prefer talking about Captain America .

Bucky reluctantly takes up the mantle of Captain America . He 'himself' is full of angst regarding his new role but considers it a necessity to fill the vacuum left by Rogers' death. Most of Rogers' contemporaries' opinions of Bucky parallel Karamazov80's but this has only inspired him further to live up to Rogers' reputation which he himself totally acknowledges he will never do. This is gritty stuff with some very dark story-lines which often harken back to the old days of WW2 & in the latest issues Cap (get it in your heads that Bucky IS Cap) teams up with Namor (who again is uneasy with the new Cap but applauds the fact that Steve would have approved) in the hunt for the 'body-snatchers' of the Original Human Torch. This stuff ain't 'Bif-Pow-Wham' it is rough & raw ....& as I said before..... very different.

On topic : I love all US MMMV members an equal amount but I do however love those closest to TRU stores (& good hearts) more so. :D

On topic : I love all US MMMV members an equal amount but I do however love those closest to TRU stores (& good hearts) more so. :D

I might appear to live closer to a TRU, and to have a "better heart" to those non-US MMMV members who start agreeing with me on the Cap issue :D

Seriously though, I might have to pick up some of those comics (in cheap-o, TPB format, of course), with all the praise I'm hearing of it. Apart from the Zombies stuff and one (really crappy) issue of Red Hulk, I can't think of a new Marvel comic I've picked up in ages. If I'm at the comic shop, and I see a $3 comic and a $7 pack of Minimates sitting right next to it, it is quite easy to pass on the comic altogether.

Edited by karamazov80

you know, now i have to pose this question, as a completist, do i need the heroes set hulk and spider-man? obviously the wolverine is different enough, and the cap looks like he is different from the rest, but are these guys discernibly different to be displayed, or just reissues?

Well, the Hulk seems to have a new face at least, and he has the shoulders that the movie version had, which I don't believe I've seen in any comic Hulk yet. Not sure about the Parker. I hope that, at least, he is a different shade of blue and red than the recently released version.

I might appear to live closer to a TRU, and to have a "better heart" to those non-US MMMV members who start agreeing with me on the Cap issue :D

Suddenly I am overwhelmed with hatred for New Cap... :P

Actually his book sounds interesting, although his main contribution to New Avengers so far has been to bore me silly... of course he's only been in it for five minutes, and it could just be Bendis not knowing what to do with him, since he doesn't really "quip" like every other Bendis character. Even Bendis' Wolverine quips, but so far Bucky/Cap just stands around being Very Serious and bringing up The Memory Of Cap.