UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

FCBD 09 minimates

Regarding the comics, I got the Avengers one (where they sort of team up with Dark Avengers against a Frost monster), and man, it was one of the most horrible comics I can remember reading. I've heard a bit about this Brian Michael-Bendis guy, but if this is his typical work, and if he is one of the heavy-hitters in Marvel, then I feel sorry for Marvel. On the other hand, the very short Green Lantern comic (Dark something) was quite effective, and made me want to read more about these wacky pink, purple, brown, orange, etc. Lanterns that some board members were fawning over a few months ago.

Didn't realize Batman was dead and Barry Allen was alive, but the way comics have been going over the last decade or so, it doesn't surprise me in the least.

I know of Johns from his work on JSA, however, so it doesn't surprise me that he would produce something solid.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i for one found the avengers comic enjoyable, got a few chuckles out of it but thats just me... haven't yet to read the green lantern one, but it looks good

The narration and dialogue actually made me angry it was so cheesy and bad. Almost on par with the crap that Frank Miller has been writing in recent years. And the characters were as 1-dimensional as they could be. Dark Avengers show up, Venom decides to eat Spiderman, everybody fights, then they stop for no good reason and walk around together like friends. That is a group including psychopathic killer Bullseye, making jokes with Spiderman, etc. What?

Edited by karamazov80

The narration and dialogue actually made me angry it was so cheesy and bad. Almost on par with the crap that Frank Miller has been writing in recent years. And the characters were as 1-dimensional as they could be. Dark Avengers show up, Venom decides to eat Spiderman, everybody fights, then they stop for no good reason and walk around together like friends. That is a group including psychopathic killer Bullseye, making jokes with Spiderman, etc. What?

I like frank millers work.... <_< , but your right it was cheesy, and bullseye making jokes with spiderman :lol:, but the reason that it was cheesy and very spontaneous was the reason why i found it enjoyable but then again what you expect from a fCBD comic?

Edited by SErge

wow it sounds like a lot of the places got stiffed on their minis.....and now I seem to be coming into a lot of extras....I should be able to help you guys out once it all gets sorted out....like I said earlier my usual shop is getting them this upcoming wednesday so I'll have 2 bags IF it is true.......and the other comic shop I went to today had some, so how that makes any sense at all I dont know......but again I will totally be able to help people out with my potentially getting three bags of these guys.....on an interesting aside, the blank has a solid head, no peg hole...I just got home and havent ventured over to my horde/collection but this seem to be a new thing as I thought all the blanks had peg holes

Jeff of the Miniacs

Hey guys, it looks like I have a handful of extras as well that I would be willing to part with.

I am also looking for a few FCBD comics (Atomic Robo and Friends, Star Wars, GI Joe) if anyone can help me with those - especially Atomic Robo. :)

Edited by jjwspider

Well, I just attended my first Free Comic Book Day yesterday :woot: Our LCS did have a bag of the FCBD mates, and I was lucky enough to be one of the first in line to get one (I even ended reminding the lady in the store they had them :lol:) However, like in Alpheon's case they ran out pretty quickly. so I didn't even manage to get a spare :(

Oh well, it was still a neat experience. Here's my FCBD swag from yesterday:

May3cumulativeupload175.jpg

The FCBD blank wasn't the only minimate I got yesterday... these just came in at our LCS

May3cumulativeupload179.jpg

Seeing as this is the first (and only) promo blank I actually managed to get a hold of at an event I attended in person (not to mention the first one I've gotten that I didn't have to pay shipping charges for ;)), I am seriously agonizing on whether to open him or not. Please, can anyone help me?

on an interesting aside, the blank has a solid head, no peg hole...I just got home and havent ventured over to my horde/collection but this seem to be a new thing as I thought all the blanks had peg holes

I was just about to post this observation as well, actually. Personally I'm kinda torn about it.

Nice haul there NR! as it was a birthday party for me today(birthday is not until monday) I had quite the haul, both in minis and other stuff in general

but as for being on topic here....the SDCC blanks, AA and DST ones all have the solid heads so I guess it isnt that new, I just havent been paying attention - not a big surprise and part of why I needed to trim down the collection lol

Jeff of the Miniacs

I was pretty fortunate...

I had to work at 2:00 AM and couldn't get to the only (barely) local LCS about 20 minutes away, so my wife took the kids... they got there 20 minutes before opening and found a huge line... but they still managed to score several Free Comics and she also got me a FCBD mate and bought the marvel villians set. In spite of spending almost 10 hours at work, it was overall a pretty good day

I hit a half dozen shops across town. Me and a bud made made a day of it. All of them had the same story. "Yeah, we ordered a dozen bags and got one. They were gone as soon as we opened" or "We never got any". My LCS held me back one. I was hoping to buy their left overs but there are no left overs.

Bad form, DST. Put an ordering cap on it next time, so at least you won't short change stores and your fans. :(

Just like what a few other UK posters have said.

I checked my mail the other day and to my surprise, Limited Edition have sent me the FCBD minimate.

Really unexpected and greatly appriciated. :biggrin:

Thanks a lot!

I got him! And I got some of the free comics. And I have to say that the minimate beats any of the comics ever.

And this is Georgia. So I don't think my guy will run out of the minimates. If he hasn't you might be able to get his remaining from him.

Just thought I'd post a really cool FCBD mate sighting:

Carlo Pagulayan's Multiply album

EDIT: Having trouble finding the original article now, but here's an interesting piece of information I've dug up:

The Minimate for Free Comic Book Day 2009 is the third most viewed item on the FCBD'09 website, right behind Marvel's Avengers and Blackest Night #0 from DC Comics.

This is according to statistics kept by Diamond Comics, who provide the site free of charge each year.

While the Avengers and Blackest Night placements are unsurprising, the very high level of interest in the Minimates (when compared to the production run) may indicate that your shop may not have ordered enough to go around.

Now they tell us.

Edited by NorthRaider

Seeing as this is the first (and only) promo blank I actually managed to get a hold of at an event I attended in person (not to mention the first one I've gotten that I didn't have to pay shipping charges for ;)), I am seriously agonizing on whether to open him or not. Please, can anyone help me?

There should be no agonzing involved: open him. You never truly appreciate the beauty of a blank until you've excercised his joints, run your fingers over the smooth plastic and placed him in at least two introspective poses. Open him.

My shop DID order enough to go around. DST didn't MAKE enough to go around.

...Morons.

You know, Any one else find it off that the '09 doesn't have a head hole? There goes my brilliant idea of amassing a blank army with accessories.

My shop suffered the same fate as so many, having their order not show up (don't know if it was canceled or not). They are optimistic that it may show up later, but I'm not holding my breath. I've got a few other avenues I may explore first, but I might need to toss my name on the begging/buying list.

well I got the word from my shop....not only did he get the two bags in today but also my free comic book day shirt came too....so I will have spares and am more then wiling to help you guys out in an orderly manner lol....just drop me a line and we can work it out...I already have a list started :)

Jeff