UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What Are You Playing

neolego

<snip> See Above

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Now, this is my first Rockstar game, so that may have something to do with it, but almost everything you mentioned were the things I loved the most. Shoot, I've rode around for hours just looking for things to hunt. I love that Animals, of all kinds, are everywhere. What other game can have you shooting Beavers, Bears, Wolves, Deer, Skunks, and Owls?!? I loved that.

And the random encounters I would actually INCREASE! I loved that I would be out doing boring fetch missions (Red Sage, Raccoon Pelts, etc) and out of no where I have to round up escaped prisioners or chase down someone's buggy or helping the poor men in this game that keep getting their wives hung. I would like to see MORE of this with MORE diversity in the next game. That stuff just made the world come alive to me.

Again, this from a Rockstar virgin. Maybe it's been repeated so much that fans are less interested, but I loved it all!

Your one point I would agree with is the Light/Dark side idea. I do like working to a certain end when there is a pay off. You are right, whether our Honor is at the top or the bottom the game still ends the same way. Two different paths with different missions and endings would be a nice way to take the sequel. neo

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*what he said*

I think you misunderstand what I was saying.

I'm perfectly fine with riding around shooting the cuddly animals, I was saying that they need to work on the aggression somewhat. There are parts of the map that you just can't ride through, since the horses are too delicate to withstand more than a hit from the cougars, which hunt in rather large packs and aren't the least bit deterred by 6 or 7 of their friends being obliterated by the buffalo rifle.

The only reason I found the random encounters tedious was because there are only so many written for the game. If there was an infinite amount of them, or if they played out slightly different, then it would be one thing. But every time someone runs up asking for a ride, they're going to steal your horse. Every time a woman next to a broken down carriage asks for help, bandits (which you can usually see crouched down in plain view) will pop up and shoot. Every time I ride through Thieves Landing, a woman is being kidnapped. Mix it up a bit. Maybe next time someone runs up complaining that their wife has been kidnapped, she won't be swinging from a rope when I get there. Maybe next time there's a robbery, it is a gang on horseback who robbed a bank, rather than a man on foot who robbed a store.

And yeah, as someone who has played a lot of Rockstar Games (particularly the GTA ones), I can say that the plot elements are pretty similar. The past few games have had you playing the role of someone with a dark past who is trying to redeem themselves. Risk to family will rope you into working on a task that is more suited to your former life. At some point, you find yourself working on opposite sides of the same conflict. At least one of your mission givers will betray you. In the end, the person you're working for will seem as evil if not more evil than the person you're working against.

All that being said, I've enjoyed the games. They're just repetitive.

I'm perfectly fine with riding around shooting the cuddly animals, I was saying that they need to work on the aggression somewhat. There are parts of the map that you just can't ride through, since the horses are too delicate to withstand more than a hit from the cougars, which hunt in rather large packs and aren't the least bit deterred by 6 or 7 of their friends being obliterated by the buffalo rifle.

I know you are playing on PS3 and I'm playing on 360 but I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 Cougars together at once. Wolves, Coyotes & Boar in packs for sure but they are easily dealt with. Bears tend to be in long chains rather than bunched, if you are carefull and look for them then you can take the out one at a time without issues.

T.

Well after three years of having it, two of them in the Water Temple, I finally beat The Ocarina of Time today. Now my soul is slightly empty knowing that every game I play from now on will slightly disappoint. After Ocarina and Shadow of the Colossus... :(

Freakin water temple.

I know you are playing on PS3 and I'm playing on 360 but I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 Cougars together at once. Wolves, Coyotes & Boar in packs for sure but they are easily dealt with. Bears tend to be in long chains rather than bunched, if you are carefull and look for them then you can take the out one at a time without issues.

T.

Bears are like velociraptors in my game. I had to kill one with a knife for the hunter challenge, so I spot one just standing around and go after it. It basically leads me into an ambush where two bear attacked me from both sides and killed me. Then there was the time that one performed a stealth kill on me after I had downed an elk.

And the cougars are pack hunters in my game. I spotted one guy on foot with a man riding away on a horse, expecting it to be a "help, that guy stole my horse" moment (again), but when I got closer, I saw a dead horse, followed by a cougar totally killing that guy. I gun down the cougar and hop down to loot the corpses, only to have cougar after cougar attack me. After downing a good 8 or 9 of them, never having a chance to get back to my horse, they finally took me down.

I don't know if these are glitches, PS3 "exclusives", or something else, but it definitely adds an element of fear to the game, since traveling through these areas does not leave me much assurance that I can make it to a town to save the game.

Those scenarios you mentioned are one of the reasons I love the game.

When I was going for my "knife the bear" hunter challenge, another bear showed up. So i was attacking one, and the other would run away, then it would come back, etc.

Unfortunately, one of them charged me, I didn't react fast enough, and we both fell in the river and drowned...

It was one of the most exhilarating gaming experiences I've had.

Also, you know you don't have to go into town to save, right? You can save when you make camp.

Those scenarios you mentioned are one of the reasons I love the game.

When I was going for my "knife the bear" hunter challenge, another bear showed up. So i was attacking one, and the other would run away, then it would come back, etc.

Unfortunately, one of them charged me, I didn't react fast enough, and we both fell in the river and drowned...

It was one of the most exhilarating gaming experiences I've had.

Also, you know you don't have to go into town to save, right? You can save when you make camp.

They do make for memorable moments, its just frustrating when you're trying to do something else and the game seems to go out of its way to kill you. If I was actively trying to hunt animals, that's fun. When I'm just trying to ride from point A to point B, its annoying.

And I know you can save at camp, but I'm not saving in the middle of a pack of cougars. (is pack the right word? pride of cougars? gaggle?)

Actually, the best way to save is change horse. If you get attacked and see you are fixing to eat it, if you hit the back button and change the horse it saves right then. I've been out hunting with dozens of Pelts/Meats to sell and then died and lost all of it. But learning to switch horses has saved me several times.........especially from those Metal Bear Solid Stealth Attacks!

neo

Playing final fantasy IX on PSP

£7 for the entire game on download!

I forgot how truely fantastic this game is and now with

FF VII, FF VIII, FF IX

all on my memory stick its gonna be a while before i pick up anything else

Over the weekend my wife and I started Batman: Arkham Asylum, and so far it seems to get everything right. This might be the best game I have played this year. We are also working on Mario Galaxy 2, which is a blast. It's harder than the first, and I like the challenge. :)

I've only just started Red Dead, but so far it's fun. I'm definitely enjoying it more than I did any GTA games.

I recently finished Heavy Rain. I thought that was a pretty incredible game. At times it was a bit tedious, but overall it did not disappoint. My wife even got pretty into the story. The plot development and character development were top notch. I hope there is a sequel in the works.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to share with everyone that I have retired from Xbox, for good. I've sold both of my consoles this week. I am now, fully, a PS3 supporter. I have been struggling for sometime with Achievements and why I even play games and the money that I spend and why/how I spend it and I just came to a place that I felt I needed to choose 1 system to support, and that ended at the PS3. Both consoles have their strengths, I just felt the PS3 far out weighed the 360.

Anyway, just wanted you to know not to be looking for me online anymore. If you do have a PS3 though, you can hit me up. PSN ID: neolego.

neo

Well while browsing Big Lots I happened to come across Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Underworld, and Tomb Raider II Gold all for 6 bucks each. I had never played Tomb Raider before so I thought, eh, give it a shot.

I really like this game. I also like how in TR2 Lara's boobs have more detail than her face.

Danny, you've played these right?

What was the deciding factor Neo? I flip flop with both systems and I honestly like the PS3 exclusives better. But lately I've been playing Xbox constantly.

Well, I'm a pros and cons kinda guy and the PS3 just slams the Xbox in almost ever way. Blu Ray, 3D, Free Online Play, Better Hardware, Rechargable Controllers.....seriously, those are just the big ones. Really, Xbox only has 2 pros: Xbox Live and the Controller (The Xbox Controller, minus the D-pad, is the best on the market).

After that it just came down to exclusives and again, the PS3 beats out. The big Xbox games are Halo, Fable, Forza, and Gears. The PS3 has Uncharted, Ratchet, LittleBigPlanet, InFamous, Killzone, Resistance, Final Fantasy (for the most part), and....well, that's enough.

Long story short, the only things that I'm really missing from the Xbox are the Controller and Fable........and there is much more I'd be missing the other way around.

neo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since anyone posted here, so I'll fill in the gap.

Now that I'm PS3 exclusive, I have a new set of games. I have been playing LittleBigPlanet and Modnation Racers which I love. I have also been playing a LOT of Toy Story 3 and I LOVE that game. It's got the personality of Pixar all over it and Toy Box mode is wonderful!

I also downloaded the Madden 11 Demo last week and think it may be the best version of Madden I've ever played. I already have that game pre-ordered and paid off. Just another week and I will be sinking a bunch of hours into a new Madden game!

And finally, Scott Pilgram Vs the World comes out next week as well. I haven't played it, but based on what I've seen and read I cannot wait for that game. It's kinda like Double Dragon meets River City and all awesome. neo

I got LEGO Harry Potter. Yaknow, I think this is easily the best since Star Wars 2. My only difficulty is the odd PC controls. Other than that, this game is hilarious.

I enjoyed that game. It was arguably the best Lego game so far, and I'm glad they ditched the gameplay from Lego Indy 2. My only gripe is the game breaking glitch on the PS3 version. Luckily someone found a way to glitch back out of it, so I was able to finish the game.