UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So much for Spiderman. Screw you Marvel

TM2 Dinobot

I'm all about Marvel Comics....yea from the mid 90's back. I know alot of folks are all about the Ultimate Universe but I want to know what happened to the comics I used to love so much.

I think Joe Q happened.... :wallbash:

i think this sum's up what happens when you use magic :mage: it comes back to bite you

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think things would have been far easier if they had just dragged Stan Lee into the office, bent him over, and anally raped him (not to mention digging up Jack Kirby for good measure). It would have been far less painful than anally raping them by destroying the comic they created.

Man, you know, that's actually not a bad idea. They should have pulled Stan Lee into the office and said "Stan, we fudged up. Give us a solution" And there's not a fanboy in the world that would dare to disagree with Stan Lee.

Maybe we should kill Joe Q and make Stan Lee EiC. I wonder if he would be willing to do that, or if he's too old?

I had misgivings over JMS's tenure when he introduced the concept of the Spider-Totem. Gwen's kids were a step too far for me and I stopped reading. To read that JMS really wanted them to be Peter and Gwen's kids all along is irritating in the extreme. This seems to me to be the start of another Spidey backlash, just like we saw with the Clone Saga. Why do Marvel allow these guys (JMS, Kevin Smith etc) to get away with this crap?

Woah, woah, woah. This wasn't JMS' work.

In fact, JMS was so displeased with One More Day, that he wanted his name taken off of it, but Quesada convinced him to leave it on. He even said that a lot of the dialog, including most of OND issue 4, wasn't even in part his. In addition, JMS had nothing at all to do with Bright New Day. In fact, he had an elaborate plan to give Quesada what he wanted, but one that made sense and didn't involve the (so to speak) deus ex machina of Mephiso's Magic Miracle.

And as for the twins being Peter's, isn't that a better story? People were pissed because Gwen banged Norman, and I can admit that was pretty dumb. But being Peter's makes way more sense and resonates far better.

I had misgivings over JMS's tenure when he introduced the concept of the Spider-Totem. Gwen's kids were a step too far for me and I stopped reading. To read that JMS really wanted them to be Peter and Gwen's kids all along is irritating in the extreme. This seems to me to be the start of another Spidey backlash, just like we saw with the Clone Saga. Why do Marvel allow these guys (JMS, Kevin Smith etc) to get away with this crap?

Woah, woah, woah. This wasn't JMS' work.

In fact, JMS was so displeased with One More Day, that he wanted his name taken off of it, but Quesada convinced him to leave it on. He even said that a lot of the dialog, including most of OND issue 4, wasn't even in part his. In addition, JMS had nothing at all to do with Bright New Day. In fact, he had an elaborate plan to give Quesada what he wanted, but one that made sense and didn't involve the (so to speak) deus ex machina of Mephiso's Magic Miracle.

And as for the twins being Peter's, isn't that a better story? People were pissed because Gwen banged Norman, and I can admit that was pretty dumb. But being Peter's makes way more sense and resonates far better.

I wasn't just referring to one more day. I'm referring to superstar writers and the way they've been allowed to crap on the work of previous creators. I don't think the twins should exist at all. I think it sullies the original stories and characters.

According to an interview over on Newsarama, he's still a New Avenger, though that makes zero sense considering BND says that he hasn't been an active hero since Civil War.

This is all such bullshit. If they wanted to tell stories like they were 30 years ago, they should have made a new universe for this garbage or go back and slip in some forgotten stories of Spider-Man. Instead, they're driving off fans because they've tossed so much stuff at us that we're just supposed to accept because "it's magic". And now, Spider-Man doesn't even fit in the normal universe because too much hinges on things in the past. If they had pulled this crap with, say, Cyclops, then it wouldn't have mattered as much because he affects, at most, three books on a normal day. Spider-Man affects every major event, every cross over, every Avenger book, every Spidey book, every team-up book, and who knows what else. And the fact that all of this changed by simply erasing a wedding. I can understand the unmasking not happening, because that was part of the deal. But that shouldn't change the fact that Norman Osborn knows who Spider-Man is. And how come that doesn't bring Gwen back to life? Didn't she die because he knew Spidey was Peter Parker? And how do you explain Harry being alive and kicking? The organic webshooters from his rebirth in Disassembled and all the changes from the Other being gone? None of that hinged on MJ or the unmasking.

Then you have people saying that the continuity didn't change, only the world's perception of it. Where it was all one way before the strike of midnight and another at dawn. If continuity hasn't changed, then doesn't that mean the entire world is a fantasy? And no magic user, not even the Sorcerer Supreme, Master of the Mystic Arts can detect the difference? It's garbage. Any way you slice it, 30 years of writing has been tossed aside because some idiot bitched about not knowing how to write for Spidey being married. We want him approachable by kids, so we keep him clean cut and wholesome, but turn around and have him make a deal with the freaking devil! It's bad writing. It's no different when WCW rebooted their program right before they died the horrible death that they died. One week, Hulk Hogan is feuding with the Macho Man. The next, they're both part of the Millionaire's Club taking on the New Blood. When you jump to point B, you have to draw a line from point A, else you confuse your audience, and no one likes to be confused.

I wasn't just referring to one more day. I'm referring to superstar writers and the way they've been allowed to crap on the work of previous creators. I don't think the twins should exist at all. I think it sullies the original stories and characters.

That's something else I wasn't a big fan of (and I'm thankful that they've essentially forgotten about the twins since the story ended). They took an important part of Spidey's mythos, his undying love for Gwen, and sullied it by having her sleep with Norman willingly and produce two kids from it, telling MJ the whole story and not telling Peter, then have the Goblin kill her, not because he knew Spidey's identity, but because Gwen was going to tell him the story. Ugh.

Maybe DST didn't lose the Marvel license, maybe they dropped it when they found out how shitty it was getting.

I gotta say, that its things like this that make steer away from Marvel. I mean...Marvel just makes my head hurt nowadays. Also, I can't stand that Spider-man and Wolverine seem to be everywhere in the marvel universe in like every book every month. Really all OMD did for Spider-man was show that he is a weak person who doesn't want change. I mean, I know that everything was crumbling around him what with Aunt May dying and all, but really, He needed to man up and deal with her death. Let it motivate him a little.

Also, didn't they do the whole 'Back in Black' thing because of the Dark Times Peter was going through and the costume would reflect how he felt inside. If none of this happened, then what is his motivation for the dark mood?

Also, they should have let JMS fix his mistake and delete the Goblin Twins from exsistance. I do like that they did away with the Organic webbing and brought back the web-shooters. That's about it. Other than that....why? what was the point? How does Peter grow if he has nothing to grow from? He's right back to where he was in the 70's. Hanging out with Harry and being Spider-man. I think that the marriage humanized him more. He had someone to share his life with. He had a reason to keep up with the protecting of people. Now? Now he's just a single guy who everyone hates.

Plus, retconning certain characters and having the retcon effect only the events of their lives in the slightest ways but not having them effect the universe as a whole is really dumb.

okay this put really big holes in spideys history

now i really start to think skrulls are real and they are trying to F@%! up spidey

the bad news just keeps flowing in

first the whole no europe minimate thing

than maybe no marvel at all

than the marvel minimate licence is stops(which could be a good thing)

and than this :wallbash:

I wonder if this is actually permanent. I mean, this could be one huge freaking What If story. Who knows? I, for one, hope that at the end of Brand New Day that the last page is Peter and Doc Strange standing over some sort of crystal ball and Strange says: "See, that is what would happen if you take that deal."

"Oh," says Spidey. "Well, I guess I should tell Aunt May goodbye."

END

I wonder if this is actually permanent. I mean, this could be one huge freaking What If story. Who knows? I, for one, hope that at the end of Brand New Day that the last page is Peter and Doc Strange standing over some sort of crystal ball and Strange says: "See, that is what would happen if you take that deal."

END

Congratulations, you just made a better storyline & more sense than the last 6 months of Spidey books ;)

Seriously though, what good will come of it, it's a step backwards and shows that they'd written themselves into a corner by having no foresight to where things might have been headed.

T.

what I want to know is, where'a the wacky Twilight Zone ending? Mephisto doesn't give this stuff away, he wants a good laugh out of it.

"Sure, I'll save Aunt May... but...

She's an evil robot zombie!

She just got eaten by bears!

She got run over by an ice cream truck!"

C'mon Joe Q, what are we paying you for? Excitement!

This is a great way to bring Spidey back to his roots!

Er....literally.....

The impression I got from the end of One More Day was as Happy-Go-Lucky as Spider-Man can get, like when his series first started in a way. The only problem is that back then it was a high schooler living with his elderly aunt and being a doofus, and now it's a 40 year old virgin.

While I hated OMD with a passion, I've gotta admit BND seemed pretty damn good

What the hell would you know? You're only Andy's imaginary twin brother.

Jo

who has avoided Marvel for years

END

Peter will wake up and tell MJ, who is in the shower, he just had the strangest dream....

Just to keep this on topic for this forum, what impact does this story have on my New Avengers Spiderman minimate? Does it no longer exist as a result? :D

but think of the children, and by children I mean me, you guys boycott, and I'm out in the street, with the only confront afforded to me being BND....OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

now that is a nightmare, lol

On the bright side think of all those unsold comics you will be able to use to stuff your cardboardbox/home with....

Seriously though...It's all handbags at dawn stuff, marvel does something the fans think is dumb, they bitch and complain and then carry on buying the stuff anyways, they wouldnt want to stop that run they've been collectiong since they were 5 now would they.

To me it seems incredibly short sighted to go back to 70's spiderman and expect it to not to go back down that same road, we know PP & MJ will end up back together, aunt may has to pop her clogs at some point as she's ancient and Harry will go nuts and want to kill peter/spiderman... I'm not sure how much story Marvel is expecting from those but lets be honest the pressure is on to make them exceptional stories because they will be selling us something we've already seen.

T.

To me it seems incredibly short sighted to go back to 70's spiderman and expect it to not to go back down that same road, we know PP & MJ will end up back together, aunt may has to pop her clogs at some point as she's ancient and Harry will go nuts and want to kill peter/spiderman... I'm not sure how much story Marvel is expecting from those but lets be honest the pressure is on to make them exceptional stories because they will be selling us something we've already seen.

But now we have new villains like Mister Negative and Freak... I miss the animal themed villains. Pity Punisher and Kraven killed most of them.

Seriously though...It's all handbags at dawn stuff, marvel does something the fans think is dumb, they bitch and complain and then carry on buying the stuff anyways, they wouldnt want to stop that run they've been collectiong since they were 5 now would they.

I used to be a hard-core comic collector, but I'm very casual now, largely for all the crap that both Marvel and DC have been doing in recent years. I still collect some stuff here or there from my favorite writers and artists, but there is so much garbage being produced, that I'm largely disillusioned with the big 2. I think there are a lot of others there like me. And even if the comics didn't suck, kids couldn't even get anyway, b/c they're so damn expensive. Its just all going to hell, and its a sad, sad thing :(

See, this is what I don't get. WHY did they bring Harry back? Does any one even like him? I mean cause personally, I frickin hate his character. Norman was the only Osborn that was worth anything. All the rest are second string B lister hacks. Including Harry.

I keep hoping the other shoe will drop. Like Mephisto goes "Haha, look what you did. I'm sending you back to that crap hole that's your REAL life" and lo and behold, He's still married to MJ, Aunt May is dead, and everyone knows he's still Spiderman. That'd be great.