UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So much for Spiderman. Screw you Marvel

TM2 Dinobot

I wonder if this is actually permanent. I mean, this could be one huge freaking What If story. Who knows? I, for one, hope that at the end of Brand New Day that the last page is Peter and Doc Strange standing over some sort of crystal ball and Strange says: "See, that is what would happen if you take that deal."

"Oh," says Spidey. "Well, I guess I should tell Aunt May goodbye."

END

Or even a It's a Good Life (practically the same idea). Hey Joe if you take a bag put Spiderman inside and then take a crap in said bag then shake it up you still get a crappy Spiderman. I wish they would quit butchering/sullying some of the greatest comic heroes of all time. I wonder what Stan Lee thinks about all of this?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my eyes Spidey needs changes to his status quo. There's only so much they can tell with "Peter living with is aunt, trying to balance school/a job with his life as Spidey". A few years back May finally learnt Peter was Spidey and accepted him for who he was. A few years later Peter joined the Avengers and the lives of Peter Parker and Spider-Man started to become one. I liked the idea of Peter and family living in the Avengers mansion and more heroes started to learn who was behind the mask. I wanted to see Peter walk around the Baxter Building, talking to Johnny and Reed with his mask off. I loved the bit at the end of House of M where a number of major non-mutant heroes are standing in the New Avengers mansion dressed in their costumes and Peter's in his Pjs and a dressing gown. And then there was Spider-Man unmasking during Civil War, one of my favourite moments in the story arc. In my eyes that was a good change to the status quo. It allowed for stories we've never seen before to be told. Even if in the long run they may not have reached their potential, at least they tried. But no. Such a change is not allowed. Instead Peter must be in some kind of 70s based "Groundhog Day" because apparently those changes and the growth that came with them are terrible and no one should like them.

If I was so desperate to read stories from the 70's, I'd actually read them in Astonishing Spider-Man (a UK that usually includes US comes from about two years ago and a classic story) instead of skipping over them to see what will be in the next issue and read the letters page. I felt everything since Spidey joining the Avengers was the best thing that happened to him in a long time. In my eyes re-telling an old concept is about a good as a teapot made out of chocolate.

Also I'm not a very big fan of May and generally want her out of the Spidey universe. I wish Peter respected her wishes (as someone already mentioned, she told Peter she didn't want to be saved).

I may read BND for a while just to see how it turns out. Maybe it'll end up being good. Maybe he'll eventually start to re-gain the development I liked. Maybe Marvel would retcon this and go back to how he was a few months back. Some people have mentioned that "The Initiative #7" has put in place a possible "Plan B" for re-masking Spider-Man if they decide to retcon OMD/BND.