UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

All-New All-Different Marvel Now! (Post Secret Wars)

undeadpool

How much do most comic book singles retail in America? I feel like missing out on some great introductions to comics, but I really can't justify some of the prices I'm seeing here in the Philippines. This all looks rather exciting to a new reader, but I just feel like I may be getting cheated with just how expensive these things are.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comics range from $2.99 to $4.99 depending on size and publisher, most DC is 2.99 with the big titles (Batman, Superman, JL) being 3.99, almost all Marvel titles are 3.99 currently except for a few like Ms Marvel and She-Hulk which are $2.99

Indie comics are generally $2.99 or $3.50 but they vary since the creator can decide the price.

Marvel and DC also come out with giant-size issues frequently which are mostly 4.99, for example the first two issues of Secret Wars were 4.99 each but were extra size and had no ads to break up the story.

Sorry to derail the thread a little, but can anyone here give me the low-down on Marvel Unlimited? Storage is getting to be a bit of a problem for me and my collection and i'd consider moving to a digital format, but need a bit more info.

Is EVERYTHING that marvel puts out on newsstands and at LCS available through MU? If i move to the monthly subscription on MU, will i still be able to keep up with all the Marvel titles i currently read?

it has a large selection but doesnt get new comics till 6 months after their release (with a few specific exceptions)

Im not sure how extensive the selection is but its definitely a worthy amount for the price

Nessex, almost everything is on there. The best part is they are not simply pdf scans, but the actual restored files that would be used for Masterworks, TPBs, etc. A lot of stuff that's on there isn't even collected in trades yet. If there's a specific issue you're looking for, I'd be happy to check for you.

As far as new stuff, you've got about a four to six month wait. I could care less about new stuff, but YMMV.

I love it. And I'm one of those old guys who had to be dragged kicking and screaming into digital. Now I wonder why it took me so long...

I'd like to know about their supernatural selection, blade, blaze, spirits of vengeance, Dr strange, darkhold, morbius, marvel comics presents, midnight sons, nightstalkers, moon knight (thanks kostis), next wave, punisher, etc. if digitals of these runs are on ther. I think I'll bite.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably Amadeus Cho. In Secret Wars: Planet Hulk #1, Pak wrote a short story where Cho did some gamma experiments and set off a bomb. He tried to "redirect" it by using a gauntlet/glove which he wore in his left hand. Plus, the "Totally Awesome" title is probably a nod to him being a teen and finding the situation "totally awesome". I mean, if you're a kid with enough brains to go against Stark AND super-duper muscles and strength that could give Thor a run for his money, then you're also gonna think "man, this is totally awesome!". He also had a small dog, so that's what the circle's most probably "blocking".

Edited by Kostisfire

I'm giving Old Man Logan a shot. I'm down to that, Black Widow (mostly for the Phil Noto art) and the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye book (which is ending soon?) from Marvel. I haven't liked Logan in the current books that I've read. He's seemed too... domesticated to me, especially in that book where he was the headmaster of the Xavier school. That's not my Logan. I like Logan dark and broody and Old Man Logan is that for me.

But none of the other "All New All Different" ideas really interest me.

Here's what I don't like about ALL of this legacy character nonsense: None of these characters are unique anymore.

I'm old-school and as such I'm adverse to change for the sake of change, especially when it diminishes an existing character. Spider-Man used to be special. I always imagined that it wasn't just the circumstances of Peter getting his powers that were unique but Peter himself, that no one else could have survived that bite or it would have been replicated and weaponized. (Which led me to suspect that Peter was a mutant, but that's another discussion.)

Tony Stark had to be Iron Man to survive. That suit enabled him to do cool things but most importantly it saved his life. He depended on it so it was both a blessing and a curse. Others might be able to wear similar armor but no one was more intimately connected to it than Tony, and that's what made him Iron Man.

It's not just stubbornness and habit that compels me to insist that Bruce Banner is Hulk and Steve Rogers is Captain America, et al. It's that these character were not interchangable. They couldn't simply switch costumes or gimmicks or powers and do the same job. If they could, it takes away from their individuality.

Putting a new twist on an existing character is a slippery slope. Jennifer Walters managed to be slightly different than her cousin by retaining her intellect after transforming into She-Hulk. Red Hulk is basically a male version of her. Now we've got another Hulk on the way that waters down the original concept even more.

So while I'm actually open to giving these changes a try, there's really nothing "all-new" or "all-different" about putting yet another name on an ever-growing list of wannabes. It's only a matter of time before the status quo returns, right?

Okay, I can see it being Cho and I'm on board for that.

Legacy characters CAN make sense. Cap, to me, does. It's a symbol. Sam is a DIFFERENT Cap, but it still MEANS the same thing. Iron Man is a piece of technology. It was developed to save Tony's life, but it's something else now. Spider-Man works because alternate reality. But Thor and Hulk? I don't get it. Those don't "work" within the confines of the character. Not to me.

Oh, I'm all over it for Cho's art alone. And like I said, I'm willing to let these guys try to convince me that someone else can be an entertaining Hulk so long as they don't ignore Banner. But I'd just as soon see new characters that can stand on their own rather than be seen as usurpers.

Then again, this is probably the smartest way to launch new characters. I probably wouldn't have bothered with Batman Beyond if I'd had another Batman cartoon to watch. I gave it a chance despite my strong objections to anyone else being under that cowl. It quickly became one of my favorite cartoons ever so, yeah, sometimes it works.

The key to a legacy character is convincing people it's a natural progression of the story. I'm sure some would argue the current changes make perfect sense in context of the stories, but when viewed together they certainly look like cynical attempts at marketing diversity rather than telling stories.

As an avid reader of current comics, I never feel like a large amount of change has felt forced, more like, one thing changed that opened the door for others to voice their ideas and so on

also its important to note a lot of these changes are due to the aftermath of Secret Wars, and if you're reading the comic, they feel quite natural

So far, here are the leaked teams for post Secret Wars.

>Jeff Lemire And Andrea Sorrentino Relaunch Old Man Logan
>Tom Taylor And David Lopez On The New Female Wolverine
>Gerry Duggan And Mike Hawthorne Bring Deadpool Back To Life
>Dennis Hopeless And Mark Bagley Relaunch All-New X-Men
>Jeff Lemire And Humberto Ramos Launch Extraordinary X-Men
>Cullen Bunn And Greg Land Relaunch Uncanny X-Men
>Marguerite Bennett, Kim Jacinto And Stephanie Hans Relaunch Angela
>Warren Ellis And Gerardo Zaffino Launch Karnak #1
>Howling Commandos Of SHIELD Launched By Frank Barbieri And Brent Schoonover
>Venom: Spaceknight From Launches From Robbie Thompson And Ariel Olivetti
>Daredevil Tutors Gambit In Charles Soule And Ron Garney
>Spider-Gwen Stars In Web Warriors Launched By Mike Costa And David Baldeon
>A New Vision Comic From Tom King And Gabriel H Walta
>The Illuminati From Josh Williamson And Shawn Crystal
>A Very Pregnant Spider-Woman By Dennis Hopeless And Javier Rodriguez
>The Ultimates Is Back With Al Ewing And Kenneth Rocafort
>A New Carnage Series From Gerry Conway And Mike Perkins
>A New Scarlet Witch #1 From James Robinson
>Silk Goes Supervillain With Robbie Thompson And Stacey Lee
>Uncanny Avengers Relaunches With Gerry Duggan And Ryan Stegman
>New Avengers Brings You The Avengers Idea Mechanism From Al Ewing And Gerardo Sandoval

There are more, but the leaker is taking his sweet time.

most important thing to note is that the X-books look in terrible shape. Especially with Ramos being on the "flagship". And Cyclops/Emma are missing due to some stupid Inhuman/Mutant detente.

I've been pretty down on what Marvel's been doing but I still held out hope there would be some announcement that would turn things around. As more titles are released it's dawning on me that I really am almost certainly done buying new Marvel books. It's kind of depressing.

In the words of Tom Brevoort

"Sorry to see you go. We’ll be here if you ever want to come back."

Very excited for Invincible Ironman, A-force, ANAD Avengers, Ultimates, Strange, Captain Marvel, Captain America, Hulk, Mighty Thor, Scarlet Witch, Ms Marvel, Illuminati, Hawkeye, Antman, Vision, Amazing Spiderman, Spider Woman, Spiderman, SpiderGwen, Silk, Guardians, Drax, Howard the Duck, Starlord, Uncanny Inhumans, Karnak, Angela, Squadron Supreme, Extraordinary X-men, Uncanny X-men, Old Man Logan, All-New Wolverine and still waiting to see what else they announce

• 2 months later...