UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

An Unexpected Journey

BannersID

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, a quick update before we hit the road again. We spent the night in Nebraska (most of the day really) tying up phone calls for an apartment and her new gig. Today we hit the mountains. Thnx again for every ones support and encouragement.

I thought this was a Hobbit thread, not a real cool adventure story. I've been up to Portland and it's a nice city. In fact my four kids are from Oregon. I think you will enjoy it.

If you haven't encountered this yet, it is illegal to pump your own gas. So stay in your car. An attendant will work the "self serve" pump foreyou. I never got a clear answer on why this was a law but someone said the law was put into place to provide jobs for the homeless.

As far as jobs go, Nike is a big employer in the area. A lot of big companies post jobs on their company sites before listing externally so it's worth a shot contacting the HR divisions to inquire about openings at some of the bigger places.

That's about all the advice I can offer but definitely have TBT buy you a beer. Go Ducks!

Really about the gas?

I thought New Jersey was the only place in the US where you can't pump your gas.

Yeah for some reason, its only New Jersey(Where I hail from) and Oregon. If you try to, they will yell at you, there is also a possible 500 dollar fine for violating this law. The funny thing is that Jersey is a state with one of cheapest gas prices and Oregon is one of the highest.

We have arrived safely. I feel totally lost in the new town but we made it and have a roof. The wife starts work Monday and I tracked down a few strong leads for work (low pay but work). Yes we took I-80 to I-84, the travel through the mountains was awe inspiring, other highlights included a stop for lunch in idaho at a place on the roadside called Ziggys pure luck had me order a plate of fries in Idaho,best food I had eaten all week.

• 2 months later...

well its going into the third week of February and I find myself back in Illinois with out my wife. I was unable to secure any kind of job in Portland and the stress of moving and strained finaces brought out the worst for Jess and I. We love each other and are talking but things are strained in the extreme obviously. In a final effort to salvage my relationship with my wife I intend to sell of my Mates collection to generate funds for counseling for the two of us and a new car for me as the journey to Portland killed mine. I suppose I will be posting figs on ebay in an auction format if there is something your after hit me up if its Marvel, Trek or classic BSG I have it. I'll post again when auctions start to go up.

As we have no kids, and our marriage has a history of being broken I have taken quite a bit of flack in regards to the level of devotion I have for my wife. You can keep those comments. I will not give up on her until she tells me its over and she doesn't love me anymore, we both have our problems but in the end she is the most wonderful person I have ever spent time with and I will not give up on my love for her or our marriage.

Damn. Screw some people giving you flack for this. It's not their place to judge. Sounds to me like you guys are in a pretty rough spot, but it also sounds like you're both at least willing to work at it and sacrifice for it. I hate that you are going through this, and I hope that you two are able to find the peace you deserve, hopefully with each other. Best of luck.

" As we have no kids, and our marriage has a history of being broken I have taken quite a bit of flack in regards to the level of devotion I have for my wife. You can keep those comments. I will not give up on her until she tells me its over and she doesn't love me anymore, we both have our problems but in the end she is the most wonderful person I have ever spent time with and I will not give up on my love for her or our marriage."

I'm not clear who's giving you the flak ? If that someone is outside of the marriage then thank them & tell them to fuck off. Other than that I can give you little advice except to say that what you've written above needs to be said to her . I guess that you have & if she feels the same as you.... hang in .

What you are describing would put a strain on any marriage, and stress tends to bring out the worse in people, ourselves included. If you love her, do what you gotta do.

I just talked very briefly to BannersID on the phone, He's having a really hard time with things right now and that spilled out into this thread. :(

Rich, if you read this, please know that we all want whats best for you and just want to help.

If you need ANYTHNIG you know where to find me.

T.

Okay. I can breath now.

Dude, as a man locked in an ongoing battle with depression myself, that last post had me worrie all day, Rich. If you need to talk...