UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do Minimates need to get to the "next level"?

i dont think its iconic licenses that the line needs, what it needs is its own original content.

i think battle beasts and MAX are the first step forward. As ive realized lately is that a LOT of people still call minimates "Lego's" an error that is hard to excuse, especially since it means people may look for them in the lego section and never find them. The main thing that Minimates need to differentiate themselves is their own stories and characters that are original, the same way Lego has Monster Hunters, City, Etc

I really wish I could agree with you, but I just don't think that's the case. I don't think we're ever going to see the next wave of Pirates, and at this point I'd be surprised if we saw another wave of MAX. Unfortunately, it's recognizable properties that get buyers interested these days-- both those buying for and from a store. That's why DST dropped Maximum Zombies like a hot potato when Walking Dead became available; even though MZ was wholly owned by DST, and (I think all of us would agree) and damn bit more creative, it's not the sure thing WD is. I'd be willing to bet that DST used Calico Jack to pitch Disney on Pirates of the Caribbean. Hope I'm wrong, though, because I'd really like to see more of this stuff (and I do hope BB is a big success).

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally keep seeing minimates taken to the next level. If you would have shown me the current TRU Wave 13 minimates 8 years ago, I would have been blown away. Wave after wave, there has been greater character selections, new figures, better sculpts and accessories/vehicles.

I would love to see DC Minimates again, or major retail or a 5 inch Build A Figure in the future. But keep it coming, can't wait for that Venom TTA set!

Please, for the love of God, no blind boxing please. I don't want to have to buy a box just to guarantee one mate. Although my brother is like Kreskin w/ the Lego minis. I agree with Punisher about expanding the 2/4 packs, I'd like to see a once/twice a year 10 pack with mix of classic ( or redos) and new mates with a lot of accessories (shields, armor, guns, stands, blast effects). Or an accessory pack. I loved those as a kid from MOTU & ARAH. I'd like mini play sets even generic ones, a lab, or one with a large computer screen or the Danger Room. I regret not buying that from Luke when he had it.

As a TRU employee, I have some thoughts. Firsty, TMNT is the best choice to go with here. Tons of collector aged fans with a lot of kids still into it. Big name appeal for the likes of Toys R Us. Wide character base to draw from. Vehicles and playsets would be a must though.

The only reason I posted this because the amount of display place of for other inferior, both in design quality and creativity , toy lines is huge and people seem to keep buying them. Imagine if DST set up a little Minimate display box at every TRU...people would love it! I know when kids see the toys out like that they know what they are getting and get more excited than they would by just packaging.

Consider this: What is the longevity of a property like Squinkies or BattlePods? You get an inexpensive design and a bunch of licenses, you flood the market for about three years (first year of release no one can find the product, second it's over-stocked and readily available, third it's on clearance) and then you disappear. MAYBE, if you made it past three years, there was enough demand to revive the idea after a couple of years hiatus. Probably not.

Minimates have staying power. The kind of marketing that makes these other products popular in the short term would not pay off for Minimates. They sell a modest number of units per wave over numerous wave for years on end. It's a better business model.

-Disney. Why not? Marvel seems happy with Minimates, and the Disney Store seems happy with Minimates, so why not expand the relationship? Again, you've got a big character library (including some of the best-known characters in the world). Plus, you've got a whole new market for Minimates: girls. I know my daughter would go NUTS if I brought her home 'mates of Ariel, or Belle, or.. well, you know.

This COULD work. There are a lot of Disney fanatics out there who'd collect these. They'd probably sell better to kids if there were playsets, though, and if Disney wants to make block figures with playsets, Lego DOES seem like the more obvious avenue.

-WWE. I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often. I think WWE is the potential sleeping giant for Minimates. You've got great brand recognition and a vast character library. Better still, it's easy to keep redoing the same characters, because wrestlers' looks are constantly changing. Heck, every time John Cena has a new shirt, there's a new Minimate. Plus, you have great potential new outlets in WWEShopdotcom and the other wrestling collectables sites. You might even see Minimates sold at arenas around the country.

This, though? Friggin genius! WWE collectors will buy almost ANYTHING, and there's a shit-ton of them out there. Kids LOVE the WWE, and a few simple playsets would be great! The interchangeable pieces could even be marketed as "Create-A-Wrestler" or something, with maybe a few spare pieces in each box for customization, letting kids design their own WWE superstars and giving Minimates collectors added incentive to buy in.

I like it! Make it so!

Random Thoughts:

- Minimates® needs to get out from under the shadow of LEGO. No small feat, of course, consider most consumers see block figures and immediately think of that venerable construction brand. But unless DST wants Minimates to compete directly with LEGO et al, they need to stay away from that product category. IE - no more construction sets like C3.

- The packaging needs to showcase the articulation. The reason I decided to try a block figure in the first place was because I saw ads of Star Trek characters in poses unattainable by LEGO or any other minifigs out there. Whether they're posed in the tray or pictured on the back in more dynamic poses, articulation is definitely a selling point in this line.

- Collectibility is never overrated. The whole "Gotta catch 'em all" mentality isn't just for Pokémon. Many minifig lines like Star Wars Fighter Pods don't just start with a four-pack and a handful of two-packs. They put out a poster or insert of 40 to 50 figures so collectors can check them off as they find them. I know that's an ambitious move for this line but I think it can happen.

- Think outside the boy box. This is anecdotal at best but my daughters love Minimates, particularly being able to swap out accessories like clothes and hairpieces and noggins to create their own 'mates. I know LEGO is testing the waters of the young female demographic but I'm thinking more along the lines of nibbling at marketshare currently dominated by the likes of Polly Pocket. And believe me, if DST starts offering little cars and houses for a girls line, moms and their daughters won't be the only ones buying them.

- This is becoming a legacy line. Plenty of adult collectors are passing their favorite hobby to the next generation; sons and daughters, nephews and nieces, the neighbor's kid down the street, you name it. Be prepared to target that younger demographic by offering Minimates as fast-food premiums, cereal mailaways, or home video pack-ins.

- DO NOT DE-VALUE THE PRODUCT. In a time when every other manufacturer is not only increasing prices but eliminating articulation and accessories, I'd hate to see DST follow suit. Increase the retail price as much as the market will bear but please don't reduce the articulation of the basic Minimate body. That tiny frame is the foundation of this line's success and to do anything to undermine that would be disastrous to the brand.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new to the minimate scene father of two boys, I would like to see more standard issue versions of characters. For example, I want Power Man and Iron Fist, but I don't want to buy the original set through EBAY, I don't want to pay over $8, and I don't want a version of their costumes that were only worn once, like "Time Traveler, Full Armor" Iron Fist or whatever. I just want an Iron Fist figure where he has the green suit, the yellow mask, the yellow slippers and a fist of iron.

Also, accessory packs.

Additional thoughts, when I was a kid, there were action figures (I forget what they were called) where they were about the same size as Star Wars figures, but they were regular people. There was the tv news crew with a van. There was the guy on a motorcycle. There was the camper with a roll-up sleeping bag. Something along those lines would be cool for minimates, especially if we could put Captain America on a motorcycle.

Also, micronaughts. Those toys came out when I was a kid and they weren't based on anything else. They were kind of space warriors that you could play with and invent your own stories and adventures. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in Minimates.

Also, I would love to see the original micronaughts in minimate form, especially if they could do it to coincide with a re-release of those old comic books (which are hung up in limbo because they were originally published by Marvel but Marvel doesn't own the rights to those characters).

Micronauts were a lot of fun and kept me sated while awaiting Star Wars toys to be released.

I'd love to see DST come up with their own sci-fi line of 'mates and vehicles. All things considered I think it would be a big seller if only because the sci-fi genre complements so many other lines DST has going, especially Marvel.

Additional thoughts, when I was a kid, there were action figures (I forget what they were called) where they were about the same size as Star Wars figures, but they were regular people. There was the tv news crew with a van. There was the guy on a motorcycle. There was the camper with a roll-up sleeping bag. Something along those lines would be cool for minimates, especially if we could put Captain America on a motorcycle.

They were called Adventure People.... and they were awesom!, I loved those motorcycles, and the dune buggy they had... great and fun line of toys.

They were called Adventure People.... and they were awesom!, I loved those motorcycles, and the dune buggy they had... great and fun line of toys.

Yes, adventure people minimates would be great (or something similar), but only if existing toys (i.e. captain america) could fit on the motorcycles. The motorcycle riders for adventure people had articulated knees, but all of the other figures had straight legs. So, only the one or two motorcycle riders could ride motorcycles. Everyone else was stuck being a passenger in the sidecar.

MAX seemed like a way to prove to Disney that DST would make a great Pirates of the Caribbean licensee. I picked up the firefighters and cops (but apparently not enough) but passed on wave 2. I never picked up the jets but was looking forward to the other vehicles that were planned. Alas, it was not to be.

• 4 weeks later...

i second that!!

In my opinion, it's pretty simple... Quality control and consistency...

T.

I really think that the WWE line and a line targeted for girls could be a smashing success.

I also liked the idea of 4 packs of iconic movie characters. I don't know why, but a Minimate Scarface immediately popped into my mind.

I also think that maybe tying in to more video game franchises would be good to try to capture more of the currently young, while bringing in more of the 80s chartoon franchises for the eternaly young at heart.

And finally, I agree that the posability should be more emphasized as a selling point. It's what got me interested and a big reason why I am still hooked.

Please, for the love of God, no blind boxing please. I don't want to have to buy a box just to guarantee one mate. Although my brother is like Kreskin w/ the Lego minis. I agree with Punisher about expanding the 2/4 packs, I'd like to see a once/twice a year 10 pack with mix of classic ( or redos) and new mates with a lot of accessories (shields, armor, guns, stands, blast effects). Or an accessory pack. I loved those as a kid from MOTU & ARAH. I'd like mini play sets even generic ones, a lab, or one with a large computer screen or the Danger Room. I regret not buying that from Luke when he had it.

Does anyone have pics or more info on this?

• 4 weeks later...

A potential simple change would be to include a fold out poster that featured a background scene. So, if you buy a two pack with Spiderman and the Green Goblin, it includes a poster for a city skyline background scene. If you buy a x-men two pack it includes a danger room background scene. Probably want it to be non-glossy so that it can be used in photos. This would be especially cool in four pack sets (less fold lines in the poster).

Minimate packaging is small enough that poster wouldn't need to be folded. Just make it to fit inside the box or better yet, a cut-out on the back of the box with plastic insert for a standee.

Make it happen DST!

Edited by Jeff

I've said it before and I'll say it again - they need to be added to the "Impulse Buy" sections of Target & WalMart.

Single figures ONLY. Maybe in those seasonal sections that spring up for Halloween & Christmas. Keep the price as low as possible for the Impulse Buy mentality. A single SpiderMan for $3 maybe? Add one or two more figures that are Heavy Hitters like Iron Man or Hulk, and make sure you package EVERY ONE with that poster so the kids see the huge amount available and links to where to buy. Then do Santa Claus for Xmas and Halloween ones like a Skeleton, witch, etc. Maybe a girl's line too.

Minimates are like crack - give them a first taste as an impulse buy then lure them back for more! SpiderMan would be the greatest for this example, and the seasonals would be great for US as well - I'd buy a ton of generic skeletons! But remember, this is not for us, the experienced collectors - this is to introduce new kids to the hobby.

And if they ever go the way of blind packs, keep it like Lego - minimum of 2-3 per box of each character, avoid the rare 1 per case nonsense!

• 2 weeks later...

I would be concerned to see the line grow too much and suffer the same fate as Super-Hero Squad did. When they launched the SUper-Hero Squad cartoon they flooded the market, clogging the pegs. Within 3 waves, they lost half of the retailers that were carrying the line. Within two years the line dwindled down to 6 new releases a year and now you are lucky to get one new character somewhere in that assortment. I love the fact that DST has gotten so heavy with the accessories in the more recent 2 & 4 packs of Minimates. They seem to be "growing" without gaining more exposure. They are providing far more value than both Habro's Marvel lines and Mattel's DC lines combined. I love the more complex bases, extra heads and accessories PACKED into each pack while continuing to keep the prices low. I fear more exposure might work against us. Sure, I want DST to succeed but I want the line to go on for ANOTHER 10 years. Can you imagine how many more mates that would mean????!!!!!