UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

{Insert Obscure Character Name Here} Campaign

groundhog7s

hp, I've heard and had this arguement for over 25 years. I am very well aware of the facts. I just see them differently. And for the sake of remaining friends, I think we should probably drop it, as I acknowledge I in a foul mood tonight.

Edited by Mirymate

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. Is Kang like the fricking monkey's paw of MMMV? We come together for a common cause, we get it, then everyone goes all cats and dogs.

"Grampa? What happened to the Multiverse? I heard you guys were all friends once. Does it have something to do with Ka-"

"DON'T SPEAK THAT NAME! NEVER SPEAK THAT NAME!"

Edited by Lobsterman

Kylun from Excalibur!

Oh my . . . i may have just found someone even more useless than Gideon to root for!

Oh, it would. There are a segment of the creator community that will always be hostile to Stan for the years Marvel did in fact try to give him all the credit for creating everything he did in colaboration with Kirby. Of course, Stan was a Marvel employee, and Kirby was working for DC at the time. They believe Stan should have been more vocal about Kirby getting snubbed. Stan largely played ball, shilled Marvel shamelessly at every turn, and ultimately got finacially rewarded for it. Jack didn't want to play ball; so he never made the money or got the kind of credit Stan did/does.

As to why Kirby isn't in the credits... well his heirs are still sueing Marvel for ownership of everything their father helped create in even the smallest degree with the same lawyers that pried the Super-Rights out of DC's hands ever so briefly. So no, Disney is not in the mood to acknowledge Jack right now, if ever again.

My ex just bought me this for my birthday:

kirby-king-of-comics.jpg

I honestly had no idea how amazing and how beautiful Kirby's pencil work was. So much of it got lost in the inking process. The fact that the guy doesn't get the credit he deserves is pretty upsetting. His concept/character drawings for the Inhumans are amazing.

I see getting Kang as more of the like us having the Tiki Idol from the Hawaiian vacation of the Brady Bunch.

Nuh nuh nah nuhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

And don't get me wrong, as an artist myself i look up to Kirby immensely. He's done things no comic artist, creator, or writer ever could, and he's absolutely in my Top 5 for the first two. The man was definitely a genius in his own right. I just hate how it does all come down on Stan because he's done some remarkable things himself, and now half of the comics community had turned on the poor guy. That's what i don't think is right.

My ex just bought me this for my birthday:

kirby-king-of-comics.jpg

I honestly had no idea how amazing and how beautiful Kirby's pencil work was. So much of it got lost in the inking process. The fact that the guy doesn't get the credit he deserves is pretty upsetting. His concept/character drawings for the Inhumans are amazing.

One of my favorite books! I love Evanier and his stories about Kirby are always enlightening and entertaining.

When Marvel decided to allow reprints in the UK of their 'latest' brand new heroes (late 60's)..we saw them in B & W only.

I read recently that these have become quite collectable,notably by US collectors who covet them for the basic line-drawn artwork. I have many of these early Marvels ....anybody interested in seeing a few pics? I guess not.

Even as a youngster (bhm sets himself up for ....yawn...yet another....yawn.... 'can you remember that far?) I could tell how many of these comics were being censored for we 'polite' Brits . 'Commies' became Moldavians for example but the classic were the reprints of Red Sonja who grew more chain mail around her crotch with every issue.....it was may years before I realised this wasn't normal ......in pubic public.

Damn. Is Kang like the fricking monkey's paw of MMMV? We come together for a common cause, we get it, then everyone goes all cats and dogs.

"Grampa? What happened to the Multiverse? I heard you guys were all friends once. Does it have something to do with Ka-"

"DON'T SPEAK THAT NAME! NEVER SPEAK THAT NAME!"

Kang knew this would happen. He knew it since 2057.

I don't understand why Squirrel Girl is so popular. She's destroyed so many great characters, it's not even funny. :(

I say the same thing about Batman.

As for Squirrel Girl, read Great Lake Avengers Missasembled.

I agree, 'Misassembled' is great! Slott really has a lot of fun with the fact that he's writing comics specifically and it's much funnier then a lot of the humor stuff Marvel's put out (I'm looking you "Shame Itself"). It seem sadly underappreciated as a parody book, I guess because it was actually published by the company being parodied; that's the genius of it though as it is genuinely funny while actually fitting into the Marvel Universe as a whole. Plus: Batroc!

I love Squirrel Girl but I think writers other then Slott don't really know how to work with his version; having her and Wolverine have a terse discussion about agreeing to not see each other again just seems like it's trying too hard and the stuff with Daredevil that followed was more then a little weird. The fun of SG is that she's played as overpowered in proportion to her goofy appearance; seeing her defeat Thanos off-panel isn't meant to show that he's a chump but to make fun of how writers unnaturally push characters by having them school someone out of nowhere. Sentry took that to the extreme, what with decapitating Attuma, tearing Carnage in half etc... Terrax is a beloved victim of the trend as he doesn't have a huge fan following but is implied to be a huge threat automatically having been a herald.

Don't hate SG because she's overpowered! Laugh at the sincerity of the comedy behind those beatdowns! Besides, I'm sure Slott has some clever story cooked up to make the ridiculous aspects of her canon actions make sense, like being able to warp reality as a side-effect of working for the Time-Variance Authority or something. He always does.

Seriously, GLA: Misassembled is so great; Mr. Immortal gets one of my favorite punchlines in anything ever in it.

I'd dig some comic creators minimates. Kirby himself had a cameo as "God" in Waid's FF and members of the Marvel office have appeared in comics canon for ages. Heck, Cap worked at Marvel for a while as the artist on his own book!

I'm all for Don Heck as I think people kind of forget he exists; I'd love Ditko as well but I heavily doubt he'd let his likeness be used if that became an issue. Then again, they'd have to find him first...

As a brief aside, Kirby's name apparently appears in the Avengers credits twice: once for the creation of Cap, the other for the creation of the Avengers as a concept/comic. This is what I heard on Twitter last week but I'll confirm personally when I see it tonight.

Edited by lemonfreshviper22

Thanks Groundhog! It's definitely the kind of book I push on friends who read comics as it really gets you ready for some of the crazier parts of the Marvel Universe without leaving you clueless as to who some of the characters are. Plus you can find the trade or singles for cheap at most cons without a lot of effort.

Are there still talks of Wave 50 being a "fan appreciation" wave? I hope so as that sounded really fun and would give them a chance to do some really interesting characters that wouldn't make a lot of sense together otherwise.

As for Avengers, Kirby's name is in there 3 times, the two mentioned before along with appearing in the 'special thanks' section alongside Don Heck and others like Bryan Hitch etc...

Bone Crusher- Through the Ages!

I would actually love a BoneBREAKER minimate as it would be one step closer to being able to recreate the Punisher arcade game in Minimate form! Also need a Bushwhacker...

And for the Captain America and the Avengers game, we still need Whirlwind, Living Laser and Wizard.

And for the Captain America and the Avengers game, we still need Whirlwind, Living Laser and Wizard.

And a white Vision... hey I'd buy that as a boxed set. :thumbsup:

After that we can start on the Children of the Atom missing characters. Blob, Pyro, Wen-Di-Go!

And a white Vision... hey I'd buy that as a boxed set. :thumbsup:

After that we can start on the Children of the Atom missing characters. Blob, Pyro, Wen-Di-Go!

How long was Vision like that in the comics? I don't think I've ever read any with him in that costume.

Several years there, John Byrne changed him in Byrne's opening arc takeing over WCA, back in 1988/89. Vision didn't regain his original colors till around 1993/94.

With or without gapping hole in his chest?

I kid. I'd love to see him in his Marvel Two-in-One era costume.