UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter what we want or don't want. DST will make what they believe will sell, then some of us will gripe about the character selection and some of us will be happy with it. But at the end of the day most of us will buy whatever it is DST puts out. Truthfully we should feel lucky Minimates are still being produced(whether it's a new characters or a redo) not many toy lines last this long, so DST must be doing something right with the line.

Edited by Santos L Halper

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main concern is someone from DST will read this and think "Wow, there's a market for a fifth Sandman! Forget Morbius, we've already got most of the Sandman parts made!" and we push back a shot at something new.

We need to realize we are a minority voice. We are only a fraction of the minimate buying public, and most of that public already has a Sandman(or four...) and once they've checked that box they move on. We need to use the little influence we have to try to get characters/changes we otherwise wouldn't have, not let our inner fanboy take over because we don't like the hairpiece used for someone or the shade of green their shirt is. We have been beating the drum for Kang, the Wrecking Crew, Baron Zemo and Winter Soldier for a while, with little result. Maybe we shouldn't send the message that constant character retreads is a good thing.

There will always be character retreads, and yes, they are a good thing, especially in the eyes of DST. They don't make a dime on any of the eBay sales of popular characters, so it is in their best interest to periodically update characters and re-release them to meet collector demand. Look at the Heroes & Adversaries set that was released, this was solely to try and alleviate collector demand for Deadpool. Even though it was discussed, we never got the 'solution' for the Angel-gate incident that was hinted at by Chuck, unless that was First Class Angel?

What was the last Marvel wave released to feature entirely new-to-Minimate characters? Wave 23? That's only if you don't count War Machine as an Iron Man variation.

Retreads are here to stay, and will always be, better get used to it.

We need to realize we are a minority voice. We are only a fraction of the minimate buying public...............

Whether anybody cares or not I personally buy on average 0.5 % of the entire production run of any Minimate release .....I'll leave you to work out what fraction that makes :biggrin:

......& while I'm at it if anybody wants a reasonably priced MIB Spidey 5-pack set LMK (PM) because I am blessed with....er...some. :whistling:

...& Civil War

....& Zombies

....& Defenders

.... & yawn

seriously LMK

-neverknowinglystuffshismateshead

*sigh* I know retreads will always be here, I've even said that some characters need them, like Rhino, Spider-Man 2099, Kingpin, I'm simply making the point that Sandman and Hydro-Man do not merit them either due to lack of popularity or the fact they have had four versions already. When DST makes rereleases we need to encourage them to do them in a way that's positive and updates characters who really need it, not just because someone on here couldn't find one for what they wanted to pay for it or because they aren't happy with the four versions we have already. The Marvel universe is too rich to pend it playing in the sand all day.

I know my opinion doesn't represent everyone, but I am really starting to wonder why anyone thinks just because the version we got isn't their favorite that means we need another one. At this stage in the line, we shouldn't be getting box sets with only one new character or waves with FOUR retreads with a new army builder and a character no one was clamoring for. If they want to put out a new Spider-Man 2099 as a way to get a new character on the shelf, that's great, but some of you want a wave with five retreads and one new character. That may be what we get, but I'm certainly not going to hope for that. I'm puzzled why I'm having to make the case for new characters on this board of all places.

You don't have to make the case for new characters, everyone on this board wants new characters, but the fact of the matter is that we are at a stage in the Minimates lifecycle where in order for new characters to come out, other characters that have already been released have to be in the rotation.

You are really overestimating how much attention DST pays us when working out the marketing plans for their toyline that has been around for almost 10 years. Basically, what I am saying is that we will get who we get, regardless of what we want. If you don't want a retread of a character, don't buy it, but don't trick yourself into thinking you are teaching DST a lesson in the process.

I'm getting kinda sick of this argument. it seems like the same thing since 2006. But really, I'm angry that DST keeps giving us stupid characters over and over an over. New costumes are great. But how many Spideys do we need in the exact same costumes and colors? And I look at this, and I know they're gona keep giving us Spideys, so I really REALLY don't want Rhino or DD because then that's TWO characters in a wave that I already have, that are perfectly fine, and could have been used for Madame Hydra or someone like that. And if you don't have Rhino or DD? Sorry. There's a ton of figures out there really cheap. If you don't like them? That is NOT my problem. Be glad we got them at all, cause we still don't have a ton of figures. That right there is my bottom line. I'd like to think some day we'll move beyond this.

Here's a link ..... http://www.minimatedatabase.com/chars.php?i=21&n=Thing ....please study the pictures . I don't deny that the latest efforts have some nice attributes but somewhere along the line the plot has been lost . The earliest version might look puny but at least all his bits match whilst Wave 37 Thing looks like he's got somebody else's head .....that's after 9 versions !

Why pick on Thing? No reason,I could have said Human Torch or Ice-Man . I accept that we'll always have retreads some of which I adore but not many ,I rarely get involved with wishlist threads because mine has remained the same for years except for Winter Soldier & Kang. Kangwish is just good fun & I readily jumped on the wagon but I am genuinely incensed that it now appears that the guy who transformed the way I saw comic -books is now considered 'dead now'.

Folks, I don't think myself or anyone else has said that they would rather have a 5th Sandman than Morbeius. Hell, I can live with skinny Rhino if it meant getting a Prowler or a Molten Man. At the same time, I do NOT understand why saying I would not mind seeing updated versions of older characters is such a big stinking deal. I have seen Kang, Winter Soldier, Falcon, the Wrecking Crew among others all begged for at various times on this board to no new avail. But if 6 people on one thread say they want a Sandman, then Chuck is suddenly going to think it's a wonderful idea the whole board is clamoring for and rush one into production? Seriously?

Yeah... I don't understand how this thread developed, but here's my two cents anyway. Some characters could use an update, but I think almost everyone agrees that new characters are preferred. And the ones that have been specifically mentioned for re-dos... well, it's been four years and 20+ waves since Sandman. If (remember, we're still speculating here) he does get redone in this wave, I don't see the problem. And if Chuck and co. think that the character warrants a re-do, something tells me its because of that whole 4 years and 20+ waves between releases of a pretty top-tier character and not because he was mentioned in a MMMV thread. I think the important thing is that we all agree that Kang, Winter Soldier, Falcon, the Wrecking Crew, Squirrel Girl and Gideon would all be much preferred than a retread, but we also are hopelessly addicted to Minimates and will take what we get and love it.

Edited by Turtle

Well I guess I'll throw my thoughts in here as well,sure some fans don't like retreads or don't care about them,but DST has to think of THE CASUAL BUYER;I doubt a 8 year old would go to toys r us,pick up a set with sandman and say"hey they released 4 sandmans 4 years ago that are perfectly fine!"so I do understand that most fans won't like it,but there's also another huge selection of people who buy mates just because' which is one of the reasons that minimates have had 41 waves before.

Well I guess I'll throw my thoughts in here as well,sure some fans don't like retreads or don't care about them,but DST has to think of THE CASUAL BUYER;I doubt a 8 year old would go to toys r us,pick up a set with sandman and say"hey they released 4 sandmans 4 years ago that are perfectly fine!"so I do understand that most fans won't like it,but there's also another huge selection of people who buy mates just because' which is one of the reasons that minimates have had 41 waves before.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you actually witnessed a noncollector pick up a minimate package and buy it?

I just saw this happen twice this week! At one store, a dad and his son were picking out a Wolvie/Magneto set, and at another store a guy in his early to mid 20's saw me picking up the MAX sets and and was asking me about Minimates. We talked for a few miniutes about them and then he bought a set of First Class 'mates.

It was funny, I was hanging out in the aisle watching the dad and his son, and it was just cool to watch.

<br />
<br />Well I guess I'll throw my thoughts in here as well,sure some fans don't like retreads or don't care about them,but DST has to think of THE CASUAL BUYER;I doubt a 8 year old would go to toys r us,pick up a set with sandman and say"hey they released 4 sandmans 4 years ago that are perfectly fine!"so I do understand that most fans won't like it,but there's also another huge selection of people who buy mates just because' which is one of the reasons that minimates have had 41 waves before.<br />
<br />Just out of curiosity, have any of you actually witnessed a noncollector pick up a minimate package and buy it?<br />
<br /><br /><br /> I live in Canada,they rarely ever sold minimates.But that's what happened when I bought mates back in 2004 when I was a kid,and that's what happens with just about every other toy line

While we're in a "which Spidey-guys would make cool mates" let me add another name: Rocket Racer. In all his bright red/yellow suit, 70's fro', yellow wrap-around shade/oversized headphone w/ little antena combo glory and of course the rocket-powwered banana-board!! Come on... you know you want one.:thumbsup:

Some of you are really not getting the point I'm trying to make. I'm saying when we know a Spidey wave is coming, I find it disheartening that some members here are popping up with "I never got this guy, so we need a new one" or "Its been a while since we got this guy, he could use a redo." At this point in the line we shouldn't be getting waves that are 66% rereleases, or box sets that are 75% rereleases when there is so much they've never gotten to yet. I'm simply making the point that DST is very prone to rereleases and if we don't want that to become the standard it might not be the best idea to say "We want a new Shocker or Kraven just because" when the odds of that happening are far more likely than some of you give credit for.

I agree some do need it, and said as much, but I guess that never quite sunk in. We know Zach Oat reads the board and posts, so even though we do not have that much influence, which I acknowledged already, they do see what we say. But whatever, I'm really tired of trying to make a thought out argument when the response I'm getting is "Theres always going to be retreads, get used to it, they don't listen to us anyway." I don't have to like it, and I want to give DST my money, forgive me if it's not for characters I already have. This line could become the biggest representation of the Marvel Universe, but this majority retread in new waves is getting really old. I'm tired of being excited about 2-3 'mates out of a 7 figure wave.

Edited by Valo487

Some of you are really not getting the point I'm trying to make. I'm saying when we know a Spidey wave is coming, I find it disheartening that some members here are popping up with "I never got this guy, so we need a new one" or "Its been a while since we got this guy, he could use a redo." At this point in the line we shouldn't be getting waves that are 66% rereleases, or box sets that are 75% rereleases when there is so much they've never gotten to yet. I'm simply making the point that DST is very prone to rereleases and if we don't want that to become the standard it might not be the best idea to say "We want a new Shocker or Kraven just because" when the odds of that happening are far more likely than some of you give credit for.

I agree some do need it, and said as much, but I guess that never quite sunk in. We know Zach Oat reads the board and posts, so even though we do not have that much influence, which I acknowledged already, they do see what we say. But whatever, I'm really tired of trying to make a thought out argument when the response I'm getting is "Theres always going to be retreads, get used to it, they don't listen to us anyway." I don't have to like it, and I want to give DST my money, forgive me if it's not for characters I already have. This line could become the biggest representation of the Marvel Universe, but this majority retread in new waves is getting really old. I'm tired of being excited about 2-3 'mates out of a 7 figure wave.

...You... you could always just buy those 2-3 figures, though.

Right?

Hey, Valo, I think that most of us do get the point you're making, we just disagree. For one thing, a line like this has to survive by rereleasing top-tier characters- that's how new collectors come on board. And some of us would like to see fan-favorite characters done differently or simply updated to fit the more modern Minimate style. And you say "at this point" we shouldn't be getting so many retreads... my mind is falling back to Wave 24 where out of 7 characters, only 3 were new or Wave 13 where there were only 2 new characters. Even Wave 4 only had 3 new characters. It's been the standard since the beginning, friend. The good news is that I'm sure there are plenty of customizers and board members that would love to buy your excess re-done characters. Maybe you can use the flea market or ebay to recapture some of your losses on new releases.

Rocket Racer would be AWESOME, Mirymate!

Two things:

1. I never said that the wave Miles Morales was in was a "Spider-Man wave," or that the corresponding specialty wave was also Spider-Man-themed. If Miles and his pack-mate are a TRU exclusive, then those figures are very often unrelated to the rest of the wave. ...That said, there IS that wave Chuck mentioned that has a mix of new versions of major characters (which people DO want, and which the line DOES need, both for sales and to match what's come since) and all-new characters -- some of which people have asked for, and some of which you would have never thought you'd see. Very, very curious to see what you guys think of it. Waiting to hear if it will be shown at NYCC.

2. AREN'T we the biggest representation of the Marvel Universe? Has Marvel Universe overtaken us already in terms of the number of different characters? I don't think Legends has, and I'm not counting Heroclix, that's for sure. I should probably do this research myself, but if someone's already done it, let me know.

Thanks for posting to help clarify, Zach! :thumbsup:

1) "and some of which you would have never thought you'd see"... I read this as Man-Thing and Howard the Duck! :highfive2:

2) Not sure, but if we are strictly talking core Marvel 616 characters, it's possible. Close, but possible. I think the biggest hurdle right now is that MU has produced some of the characters that have been in Minimate Wish lists for some time, that we have yet to see:

- Guardian

- The Wrecking Crew

- Enchantress

- Sunfire (616)

- Winter Soldier

- Falcon

- Constrictor

- Doc Samson

- Gladiator

- Darkhawk

- Steve Rogers Captain America

- Puck has been confirmed for an upcoming wave

- Kang has been confirmed for an upcoming wave

- Nighthawk has been confirmed for an upcoming wave

People are seeing these characters being done in MU and feeling like we are missing out while getting more Iron Man, Captain America, and Spider-Man variations.

However, I feel I do need to point out that we've gotten a lot of characters in Minimate form that have yet to be done in MU:

- Cloak & Dagger

- White Tigers

- Nimrod

- Doombot

- Professor X

- Dreadnought

- Scorpion

- etc, etc, etc

Edited by youbastards