UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 42

boyd

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else not like the little tuft of blonde hair falling out of the front of his helmet? I love this wave, and that bugs the shit out of me, more than it probably should. I'll definitely besanding it down and repainting, maybe even do a little chroming again.

It doesn't bug me, as he had that stray lock appear from time to time in his early appearances. I'm more curious about the shoulderpads he's got. Are they gonna be moveable, like the newest yellow/blue Wolverine? Or are they attached to the cape, making raising his arms above his head impossible?

I just noticed that we are getting yet another new Mjolnir mold, resembling the extra long handle from Journey Into Mystery #83!

journey-into-mystery-83-thor-12.jpg

ThorFirst.jpg

I have to say, DST has really been going all out with these little extra touches lately. It could have been very easy to just reuse one of the older Mjolnir hammer molds for this release. :thumbsup:

maybe even do a little chroming again.

:huh: I think that has a very different meaning in Australia . . . unless you like getting munted and losing braincells before opening your minimates? :P

Nice, that's pretty funny... and that is exactly the last thing I'd be doing... I wear a respirator when I chrome, lol

Hey Mystery Man, I think the shoulder things are attached to the cape somehow, I am glad they are doing this, as I was at the start of customizing a cape to do just that.

... and the hair thing, not bashing it (hope it didn't come across that way) I'm cool with why they did it, I just personally don't like the look of it ... along the same lines as transforming human torch or spidey, etc... or characters that are phasing.

Nervous – what do you use for chroming? Do you have the pro setup with what the auto body shops use, or the spray can stuff?

Hey Lobsterman, This is the stuff I use. I do have the luxury of access to a huge paint booth to use as well... good airflow/ventilation is necessary.It ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for (in a good way)

Killer Chrome

Twelve showing up already? Aw man, and if they'd just posted them last week I could have combined shipping with the Heralds set and saved a couple bucks. More TRU trips I guess. And with Christmas madness in full swing too. The things I do for this addiction.

maybe even do a little chroming again.

:huh: I think that has a very different meaning in Australia . . . unless you like getting munted and losing braincells before opening your minimates? :P

Nice, that's pretty funny... and that is exactly the last thing I'd be doing... I wear a respirator when I chrome, lol

Hey Mystery Man, I think the shoulder things are attached to the cape somehow, I am glad they are doing this, as I was at the start of customizing a cape to do just that.

... and the hair thing, not bashing it (hope it didn't come across that way) I'm cool with why they did it, I just personally don't like the look of it ... along the same lines as transforming human torch or spidey, etc... or characters that are phasing.

I'm glad you're happy with it. However, now I have to figure out a way to modify the figure or it'll be just another "almost great" figure. :(

I just got word that we are receiving our Series 42 shipment from Diamond next week! I have been on a Thor kick lately, so I am pretty pumped for these. You can find them here as always. :)

This is like the best minimate month ever. Feels like I'm doubling my collection....even though I'm barely putting a dent in it.

Alright, alright, pipe down. And let Uncle Miry get closer to the fire, the fall air is bad for my bursitis. (Lord I why I was kidding)

This all starts with Beta Ray Bill. When Bill proved worthy to carry Mjolnir, Odin decided to create a new uru hammer for Bill called Stormbreaker. As a parting gift, Odin transfered the enchantment to allowed Thor to transform into Don Blake from Mjolnir to Stormbreaker allowing bill to regain his original, less monstrous form. This left Thor without a mortal identity. Mjolnir had enough of the enchantment left to transform Thor's raiment into mortal clothing, but his appearance remained unchanged. So SHIELD set Thor up as construction worker Sigurd Jarlson, and Thor would literally hide Mjolnir in his gym bag. "Sigurd's" boss was close friends with an architect named Eric Masterson, and Thor's work crew worked on several of Eric's buildings. Eric was a single father who had primary custody for his 11/12 year old son Kevin. Well, you know how it is if you have a superhero working a day job nearby... stuff happens. First Thor saves Eric from falling girders, but the incident leaves Eric with a permanent need of a cane. After being attacked by Quicksand, and kidnapped by Mongoose, Eric finds himself in the Black Galaxy with Thor and Hercules. Mongoose is getting the better of Thor, and it looks for all the world like Eric picks up the fallen Mjolnir to smack Mongoose with it. (It may have been the case that Eric was along for the ride, as Thor was mentally calling his hammer back to him, but the scene is ambiguous by design) Well Mongoose blasts Eric with the wrist weapons he'd been using to kick Thor's asteroid, with predictable results. Thor smites the evolved rodent most verily, and pleads to Odin to save his brave (foolish) charges life. So Odin merges Eric and Thor together not unlike Captain Marvel and Rick Jones, except that no negative zone involved in their trading places. Being linked to Thor beings to wreak havoc in Eric's life. Not the smallest part of it all being Eric's new roommate "Harry Cleese". But Loki pushes Thor into trying to kill him, angered to the breaking point, Thor obliges. Hiemdel, who was subbing for his Odin sleeping king, banishes Thor within Eric's being (no I don't understand where that is either) and Eric's mind is now in control of Thor's body as well as his own. After a disastrous attempt to impersonate the original Thor, Eric redesigns Thor's costume and tries to meet Thor's obligations as a new Thor. This goes badly for Eric on many levels, his personal and professional life suffers from his frequent unexplainable absences, the Avengers let him work with them, but only as a trainee member, and most of Thor's regular foes find him a joke. But Eric struggles on, racking up victories as a hero, some respect for his courage and tenacity from Cap, considered a true and trusted friend of Hercules, and gains Sif's trust. His personal life... well he loses custody of his son to his ex wife and her football star new husband, his business goes under, half his friends think he's an alcoholic or worse, and after the second time his apartment is blown up Eric gets evicted. But eventually, the real Thor is released back into the world, and promises a revived Odin he will pay more attention to Asgardian matters for a while. For Thor and Odin give Eric a new enchanted weapon, a mace called Thunderstrike. It could transform Eric into a form that outwardly resembled his Thor form, but was only half as strong. Thunderstrike itself had many of Mjolnir's powers, except weather control, and it may have had that too, and Eric never figured out how. Eric was more comfortable as Thunderstrike, and moderately more successful. One of Eric's recurring foes was Blood Axe, a mortal who had come into possession, literally, of the Executioner's Axe and was empowered and possessed by it. Eric eventually beat Blood Axe, and took the weapon for safe keeping. But, being a novice at dealing with ancient Asgardian artifacts, Eric foolishly used the Axe to more than double his own might and give Eric the power to defeat th Egyptian death god Seth. Eric figured that if he lost control, which he of course did, Thor and the Avengers could stop him. Well overtaken with the axe's evil, Eric physically battles Thor to a standstill. Within his mind Eric releases he has to regain control of Thunderstrike and does so. Eric turns his mace's full power against the Axe, but the conflicting mystic forces prove more than his body could take and Eric Masterson dies. Thor offers Eric's soul a place in Valhalla, but Eric declines and he steps into "the light."

Now a teenager, Kevin Masterson recently came into possession of his father's mace and has become the new Thunderstrike in his father's memory.

I always liked Eric and his story. Sure it was in many ways a rehash of old Spider-Man type plots, but I like showing an average guy suddenly gaining superpowers and not only no being sure how to use them, but being completely unprepared for the chaos that they'd bring to his life. At the same time, I'm glad he stayed dead. His was a "good death", and resurrection would cheapen it.