UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Custom Con 22

cc22button.jpg
CustomCon 22 runs from April 6 to 10, 2009

Custom Con opened it's virtual doors today and there are already some impressive exhibits to see. And there's more to come!

I thought about using this thread to link to Minimate creations exposed at CustomCon and talk about everything related. (Rumor has it that one or another fellow 'verser will exhibit his or her work...)

Edited by Bob Harris

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to start it up, those Marvel Zombie skulls are a very unique idea!

And those Victorian Avengers are just awesome! :ohmy: I loved this guy's Steam Wars characters a lot, but those are a first day's highlight! I really love Thor, but steaming Iron Man and Vision are just great! And although Hulk is pretty simple, he fits in there fantastic! Most impressive!

Edited by Bob Harris

Yes, those are really, really outstanding. And the guy's pretty clever on providing a re-imagined background for those characters as well. I do especially love this lines on Captain America:

"The government could not decide whose proposal was better so the decision was made to make Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison work together to attempt to thaw him. The conflicting views of how exactly to proceed made the gulf between these two titans grow. This was actually the real reason behind their lifelong bitter rivalry."

Grandiose!

I like the steam punk Marvel stuff, but the skulls didn't do a whole lot for me. I dunno, just didn't seem like a lot of effort was made into the project, with most of the detail being literally painted onto the skull.

Can't wait to see what Minimates may show up.

The steampunk style Avengers are excellent for me the best of the day. I enjoyed his steampunk Starwars stuff as well. Joint second for me is the First Appearance X-men I just love the look of those uniforms and The Superfriends figures from Iron-Cow so well done and perfectly finished just top notch.

I like the steam punk Marvel stuff, but the skulls didn't do a whole lot for me. I dunno, just didn't seem like a lot of effort was made into the project, with most of the detail being literally painted onto the skull.

Can't wait to see what Minimates may show up.

You're right about the skulls concerning the effort to create them. And I won't even thinking about displaying these at home. But I was just surpised by the idea: Not using action-figures to customize something comic-character related is a really nice idea and pretty unusual I guess. And I actually did recognize most of the characters, which is an effect not so easy to create regarding the very limited possibilities.

The steampunk style Avengers are excellent for me the best of the day. I enjoyed his steampunk Starwars stuff as well. Joint second for me is the First Appearance X-men I just love the look of those uniforms and The Superfriends figures from Iron-Cow so well done and perfectly finished just top notch.

First Appearance X-Men's non-appearance as Minimates is still one of my biggest disappointments since I've been collecting 'mates. Those characters just look superb.

Wild.

The Marvel Skulls weird me out a little bit, not because of the morbidity but because of the nitpicky "fridge logic" involved: shouldn't the masks be gone as well if the skulls were picked clean? Doesn't Deadpool have a healing factor? Why do the skulls have remnants of masks but not hair? :blink:

The "steampunk" Avengers are all kinds of win. Thor looks perfect. Iron Man looks perfect. Hulk looks LXG movie-ish, but perfect. Probably would've been cool if they figured out a good Hank Pym concept to go with Tinkerbell Wasp. Probably the only ones that bothered me were Vision (creepy in a Wizard of Oz-like way) and Scarlet Witch (stereotyping?)

Wow, who knew I'd be such a sucker for period get-ups? DST should just make Marie Antoinette minimates and be done with it.

Doesn't Deadpool have a healing factor?

Remember, Wolverine's healing factor didn't do him much good in MZ: he still lost an arm.

Wasn't it also stated somewhere that Deadpool's healing factor is significantly more potent than Wolverine's? IIRC Deadpool actually has the ability to reattach his own severed head. Can't remember if he can outright regrow lost limbs though.

It's a great kick-off to Custom Con. I'm enjoying the Victorian Avengers and Iron-Cow's Super Friends for the great skill in their figures, the First Appearance X-Men because I really like those costumes, and the Marvel Skulls and were-panda for the sheer imagination behind them.

Can't wait to see Luke's Minimates this week.

Doesn't Deadpool have a healing factor?

Remember, Wolverine's healing factor didn't do him much good in MZ: he still lost an arm.

Wasn't it also stated somewhere that Deadpool's healing factor is significantly more potent than Wolverine's? IIRC Deadpool actually has the ability to reattach his own severed head. Can't remember if he can outright regrow lost limbs though.

Good point. Recently in his series, he got his ass handed to him by Tiger Shark and managed to regrow those... It's true. But then, why did Zombie Deadpool only have half a mouth?

Wohoo! Skrulls! Wohoo! :biggrin:

A really nice set! Dead Elektra Skrull has nice detail and I think the fire/ice arms and blasts on that Super Skrull look pretty cool. Well done, Punisher. :D

I don't think that anything in the world could top yesterdays Victorian Avengers, but I really like today's Dead of Captain America 6" figures. Although pretty simple I especially think Winter Soldier looks awesome. Sin however looks pretty nice as well but could use a more hysterical grin on her face.

Edited by Bob Harris

Yay Minimates For the win today. Congrats on those. Again Iron-Cow shows how good he is with a gorgeous Legion Of Doom set, looking at that set makes me wish DC minimates where still going. Also today I'm liking the Lego Borg they are just so and its not a word I say/type easily cute.

Really enjoyed the Secret Invasion: Skrulls box set. Like BHM said, this set really played with the concept of the Secret Invasion better than the actual box set.

My other highlights today were the Gotham's D-List set (love obscure characters), the Legion of Doom set (great high-quality customs, highly faithful to the source material) and the Lego Borg figures (just well done making them accurate and cute while working within the limitations of the Lego block figure).

Bring on Day 3!

Another fellow 'verser showcases his awesome Minimate customs on day 3 of Custom Con! :yes:

Outstanding, man, outstanding!

The package alone would be worth buying this set! You really captured the mood there and those (phostoshopped) movie-stills are unbelievable. Marion Crane is great - I see the great possibility to do a Some Like It Hot Marilyn! - and so are the others. Only thing missing: there should be an exclusive Alfred Minimate as a hidden (Easter egg) exclusive inside the box.

Brilliant, Luke. :wub:

On other notes, the Victorian Avengers guy presents some very nice "Brazil" customs (very nice but after seeing those Avengers...), I like this Captain Future (note to self: need Captain Future Mates!) and those X-Force II customs are pretty stylish as well!