UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

removing stuck dc face masks?

JAG2045

hi guys, i swapped slades mask onto another head and now i cant remove it!

does any one have any tips on how to do this?

i was thinking of putting it in hot water to loosen it but i dont wont to damaged the mask or remove the paint

any tips?

JAG2045

Chucking it in ther Freezer for a bit seems to be the default way or removing minimate masks that wont budge.

A mixture of differing contractions as they freeze and any moisture becoming nice slippery ice seems to do the trick.

T.

There is only one fail-safe method which involves a welding-torch , a careful hand & a wallet.

Apply heat with the welding torch sparingly to the head of the DC mask. Increase the heat carefully ,slowly ,patiently.

After 5 or so minutes increase the heat....slowly,patiently. If nothing happens initially,apply more heat slowly...patiently.

If the mask is still stuck,apply the f*$king lot & burn the shitting thing to a cinder....slowly & patiently & get your wallet out :biggrin:

I have had a lot of stuck masks, and have usually got them off by putting them on some of the slightly larger Minimate head pegs that I have, and pulling with my fingernail around the edge.

However, I had 2 that I recently had some serious problems with, and my old method didn't seem to work at all--1 was the Invaders Human Torch who, I believe, had his flame-hair partially melted to his head while in transit to my house (it gets very, very hot here at times), and the other was Iron Man through the Ages guy with holes in his head, which I put the extra, classic IM mask on. Well, after reading TBT!'s post earlier, I stuck them in the freezer, the Iron Man mask came off really easily, and then I even got the semi-melted Torch hair off after I added a bit of elbow grease. Beyond the effect of the freezer on the mask/hair itself, the freezer also seems to keep the head on the nub so that it doesn't get pulled off as you try to pull the helmet/hair off. So, I recommend this method.

Just asking, but does the freezer method work for LOTR Sauron's head too? I didn't even realize that was a removable helmet until I double-checked Minimate Central.

Perhaps I will try it, though my family might think I've finally gone off my rocker once they see a little plastic person in the ice cube tray.

Edited by NorthRaider

Perhaps I will try it, though my family might think I've finally gone off my rocker once they see a little plastic person in the ice cube tray.

Just don't take the next logical step of freezing small animals, and you should be OK.

I use my teeth. No seriously. I clamp down on the edge with my lowers and press down on the top with my uppers. Works great with S5 Ironman and Cyclops. Ruins the plastic after a while though. And leaves teeth marks.

Just one thing I've tried. Another is using my sister's hair dryer. *shrug*

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I use my teeth. No seriously. I clamp down on the edge with my lowers and press down on the top with my uppers. Works great with S5 Ironman and Cyclops. Ruins the plastic after a while though. And leaves teeth marks.

Fangs for the tip.

Badumpbump

That was bad, even for you BHM.

Fangs for the tip.

Badumpbump

:lol:

Fangs for the tip.

Badumpbump

and yet no one questioned how he got a Iron Man a wave earlier than the rest of us....

T.

p.s. note to self do not trade minimates with Dinobot cos thats just not hygenic!

Oh yeah, is the SDCC 07 Zombie Daredevil's mask removable? cuz it looks like you can pull off his mask. It's taking me a long time to try and pull it off, I bent my nail because of that!!

Just asking! :)

Edited by Captain Minimate

I had to use pliers on non-zombie BP. Cut the front of the face out. I still have a bugger of a time trying to get it off.

T.

p.s. note to self do not trade minimates with Dinobot cos thats just not hygenic!

Oh, yeah, like you're one to talk, mr. always-typing-in-the-buff.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, I gotta try the freezer thing, heard it worked, but never believed it did.

This reminds me of when I was little, I'd take random action figures I'd have, sit them in a cup of water, then put them in the freezer. I don't know why I did this, but I always thought it was fun to do this.