UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU WAVE 12

buttheadsmate

I was really looking forward to the "First Appearance" Thor, but seeing that his cape has the shoulder pads attached is kind of a bummer for me. I dislike when the sculpted parts get in the way of the movement of the figure underneath. As in, Thor unable to raise his hands above his hand to use Mjolnir, y'know?

Mystery Man, did you see this shot I took?

Sorry Zach, the link isn't goin' anyplace when I try it. I even entered copy/pasted it to my browser but that just gave me DST's general page at Google+ and nothing specific. I noodled around but didn't see any Thor pictures.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to the fact that the hole in the head should only happen when we want it to, the head plug is apparently not workable. The PVC can't be that thin, and the gap would be noticeable. So we'll just do our best to make sure the holes don't happen.

It has only happened a few times, but it's good to know it's on your radar, cheers Zach!

Sorry Zach, the link isn't goin' anyplace when I try it. I even entered copy/pasted it to my browser but that just gave me DST's general page at Google+ and nothing specific. I noodled around but didn't see any Thor pictures.

Sent you the pic on FB. It's First Appearance Thor raising his hand above his shoulder. Also, Balder. And Valkyrie. And Sif. And Loki. I'll post a galley this week.

Zach, it's really cool of you to interact with us like this and provide us with a real, reasonable explanation. It's really appreciated. :highfive2: Interesting tidbit about Prof X too.

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll point out that Luke thought about the head hole problem a while ago and came up with the Head Sticker Kit as a solution, which you can order here. Works basically the way the hypothetical plug would, and much cheaper. It does mean that you're Prof. X can't ware Cerebro any more though.

Sent you the pic on FB. It's First Appearance Thor raising his hand above his shoulder. Also, Balder. And Valkyrie. And Sif. And Loki. I'll post a galley this week.

WHEE! Rushing to FB now!

And tampo printing HAS gone up since the Carnage days. You pay per strike, and Carnage required one strike on every single side of him. What's more, printing a lighter color on dark requires multiple strikes to ensure opacity. So Carnage's eyes, or the top of Cossbones' head, would require three strikes.

Now this explains the weak skin colors on the Deadly Foes Spidey set. If the lighter skin tone was only given one, or two strikes, the the darker under colors would bleed through, which they did. Doesn't excuse/explain lime green wings, but whatchyagonnado?

Thanks for the info, Zach.

Has anyone here found these in store yet? Cause I'm looking at the Calendar, and the lack of series 12 on the website... I'm getting a baaad feeling about this. :unsure:

And tampo printing HAS gone up since the Carnage days. You pay per strike, and Carnage required one strike on every single side of him. What's more, printing a lighter color on dark requires multiple strikes to ensure opacity. So Carnage's eyes, or the top of Cossbones' head, would require three strikes.

Now this explains the weak skin colors on the Deadly Foes Spidey set. If the lighter skin tone was only given one, or two strikes, the the darker under colors would bleed through, which they did. Doesn't excuse/explain lime green wings, but whatchyagonnado?

Thanks for the info, Zach.

At one point I had decided to just let this go because I'm becoming a pain & I can see that Zach is genuinely trying to explain & is a breath of fresh air on this forum whilst I'm probably stale ;) Unfortunately I just can't do it....I just can't let it go,not because I think Zach's wrong but because I am so very interested in what's going on with Minimate production. Grab yourelf an early Minimate ,Wave 2 Spider-Man,how many pieces are moulded in blue plastic & how many are moulded in red plastic ? The answer is quite surprising .....

just the head ,everthing else is moulded in blue & every part is painted,it's a dark blue blank with a red head.

This simple Minimate isn't as simple as you ,or indeed I, ever believed . I've never produced a damned thing on a tampo printing press but I did spend 30 years as a printer & all printing machines rely on the same basic principles. The first principle is that the item being printed is kept in a specific position whilst the printing machine applies ink to it. The second principle relies on whether the ink for the specific process is either translucent or opaque ,lithography (my forte) generally relies on 4 translucent colours (MCYB). Tampo printing relies on opaque inks & when applied correctly should do the job in one hit .

To put things in perspective, printing a translucent white ink onto a black background equates to epic failure ,it can be achieved but that is a story for another day. Printing an opaque white ink to the correct density onto a black surface that is not too porous (pvc,plastic)should result in a perfect white which obliterates the black surface beneath it.

However ....I accept Zach's explanation that it may require a further strike if the density is insufficient ,I do however think you need me in that factory to kick ass . :biggrin: Regards painting /tampo-ing a Minimate head ,the more I think about it the more I understand why it's difficult/expensive ,it's undoubtedly the problems of marrying up what is printed on the side of the head with what is printed on the top of the head,printing on a cylinder can't be easy. These two independent operations would perhaps require an excessive amount of expertise that is economically unwarranted in most cases.

So you see I DO GET IT ,I do understand how & why our little guys are made & the economic forces that come into the equation. I'm not obsessed by being right or wrong but my mock-indignation about Crossbones contained an element of true disappointment at what can or can't be achieved these days .

Edited by buttheadsmate

I was really looking forward to the "First Appearance" Thor, but seeing that his cape has the shoulder pads attached is kind of a bummer for me. I dislike when the sculpted parts get in the way of the movement of the figure underneath. As in, Thor unable to raise his hands above his hand to use Mjolnir, y'know?

Mystery Man, did you see this shot I took?

https://plus.google....340903670111394

Sorry Mystery Man, I got no beef with you... but I couldn't disagree more... I just mentioned this in the other thread where Luke posted pictures, This is what I wish they would have done in the first place with the first Thor. It looks so much better in my opinion. I want to know why the 2 circles (I don't know what they are called) are never on his legs, and only on his torso?

But I have to say, I don't really ever give my minimates dynamic poses, just the very vanilla hands by the side stance, so articulation has never been very important to me (there are exceptions, but not many :biggrin:)

My guess is we'll be able to find them tomorrow... or tongiht... whenever the Sale Madness starts.

Wave 11 was released after LCS 41 I remember having Sinister in hand while eagerly waiting for Fantomex.

I guess we're all eagerly waiting for a release with something in hand ? :unsure:

TRU.com have some Minimates on offer ,notably the Sony stuff & those Halo vehicles .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Found these in store today. In line now. I'm grabbing myself and another member each of the exclusives. It's a pretty busy day, so no pics until tonight.

Probably too late now to ask for the SKU number via a price scanner. Oh well. A UPC code would be appreciated whenever you get the chance. :)

I knew I forgot to look for something, Storm. UPCs are 699788721834 for Balder and 699788721827 for Crossbones. This isn't like 41/11 where the box styles are different, so it's just a matter of whether the shared sets have the same pictures on the back. Needless to say, I did not check for that.