UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Luck

buttheadsmate

This story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-12683126 has been on the news for the last couple of days without completely registering in my head . We'd been talking about it but until yesterday I hadn't twigged that 'Steve' is the Steve that I have a drink or two with on occasion at our favourite pub.....in North Tawton. I know him by his nickname 'Weed' & TBH I've never really known his surname so hearing his name continuously on the local didn't register :D What a result !!

On the other hand I've just been watching pictures of this Japanese earthquake......... :(

Been following news of the Japan quake quite nervously ourselves, had to show my Mom what channel NHK World (the Japan-based network) was on just in case anything else came up. They just put up a tsunami warning for the major coastal areas here, just crossing our fingers there won't be any more serious damage. Just horrific.

Edited by NorthRaider

Rob, you posted the thread in good faith, don't worry about how it's perceived.

The events in Japan are just awful, I'm not able to watch the news but I saw on Twitter a bit that they were unable to shut down one of their nuclear power stations I don't dare to think of the consequences...

My heart goes out to the survivors of this disaster.

Northraider, I hope you and yours stay safe. And the same goes for all of our members around the Pacific.

Everything that is happeing in Japan and the extended Pacific basin is devistating, and it would seem there is little doubt that the worse is yet to come. I've been following it all morning, genuinely shocking.

That said, I'm also chuffed for Mr. Steve 'Weed' Whiteley, and whilst I'm not a scientist, I should've thought the two events are entirely unrelated.

That tsunami is horrible, tragic news of course. Any boardies affected--stay safe.

As for luck, I'm more of a believer in "random chance."

Edited by karamazov80

Just shows that life is going to give us the unexpected Good and Bad.

Last week we were on the coast here (Oregon) with someone visiting from out of state and they were amused/bemused by the Tsunami warning signs, one week later and those same area's are now on alert for that very reason.

I've been watching the News about Japan and am completely stunned... It's amazing how powerful nature can be and that between this and the recent earthquake in Christchurch NZ it just goes to show how powerless we can be. :(

My best wishes to anyone who is or has friends/family that are affected by this disaster.

T.

p.s. I know most of have a disposable budget for our hobby,so please seriously consider donating this Week/Months toy budget to the Red Cross because with recent events between this and those in NZ they really need all the money they can get to help those who have lost so much.

I haven't seen the news in probably 3 weeks. This is the first I heard of anything. I didn't even know anything was up with Wisconsin until yesterday.

Um, there's something up with Wisconsin?

And maybe this year's Charitymates should be centered around the forces of nature. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the frequency of severe natural disasters has increased in recent history.

Edited by groundhog7s

And maybe this year's Charitymates should be centered around the forces of nature. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the frequency of severe natural disasters has increased in recent history.

I agree with this completely.

And Japan is in my heart and my prayers. I don't know anyone there, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't break my heart to see such horror.

I know we're not supposed to speak of religion but this is one point where I just have to say: thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

I was very much aware of that article in the Mail & to say (as the Mail did) that it was a 'conspiracy theory' by lunar-tics will no doubt haunt them(The Mail) now. I noticed that they couldn't even get the bit in the article about the moon's orbit correct... ".......is not a circle but an eclipse " its an elipse an elipse! :rolleyes:

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm not aware of anything like this ever happened before. I do remember that horrible tsunami in 2004. I do remember several devastating earthquakes, last one in Christchurch, New Zealand, just weeks ago. I do remember how everybody was concerned after Chernobyl in '86 and how I wasn't allowed to play outside whenever it was raining. But I just can't imagine what it might be like if things like that accumulate.

Yeah, it's really the trifecta of terrible. I've got a couple of good friends in and around Tokyo. Thankfully they are safe, but thoughts go out to all those who were less fortunate. I was looking at some interactive before/after maps yesterday, and the devastation is just unspeakable. Hopefully the nuclear situation can be fixed with a minimum of damage.