UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

True Grit

Trekker 42

I just saw the Coen Brothers' new movie, the new adaptation of True Grit. And I have to say, I have never seen a bigger mood whiplash movie in my life. It's a dark and dreary film masked under lighthearted dialogue and fantastic characters. I'll admit I have net seen the original though I plan to change that and fast. But I chose not to in order to judge this movie as a fresh adaptation and not as a movie remaking John Wayne. I know the original won't be destroyed by my criticism. I don't mind comparing when it comes around.

So back to True Grit. One would expect Jeff Bridges to own this film. And for quite a bit of it he does. His grim, slow-talking, fast shooting, and utterly wasted Rooster Cogburn is, without a doubt, one of the coolest characters to grace the screen this year since Eames in Inception. But even the great Jeff Bridges almost had the rug swept out from under him by young Hailee Steinfeld as the fantastic, charming, quick witted, and justly angry Mattie Ross who hires Cogburn to kill the man who killed her father: Tom Chaney (played by Josh Brolin and not on screen for very long). Matt Damon disguises himself as Mr. Labouef, the Texas Ranger on the hunt for Chaney. And when I say disguise, I mean it. The man was almost unrecognizable.

The action in this movie is not omnipresent to the point of overbearing but not absent to the point of boredom. The movie makes its bones in the tense situations that the characters find themselves in and not in the insane violence of the old west. But believe you me, there is violence. Not enough to merit an R rating. After all, this is PG-13. But enough to know that this is not a West that kids around. This movie is deadly serious when the s*** hits the fan. The movie does not ride on action, but on acting. I've already said how great the actors are, but I want to say it again: these actors are great. Just... great

This movie is one that manages to flip quickly between darkish and lighthearted and funny. I was expecting this from the trailers, showcasing the darkness, and the comments of the Coens who described it as funny. However make no mistake, this movie is about a 14 year old with murder on her mind. This girl is absolutely vicious in her pursuit of Chaney and Cogburn is even more vicious in his pursuit of the man. It's dark and in the last, I swear, 7 minutes of the movie, it shows its true colors and its true grit.

I came close to giving this a 4/5. But I'm sorry detractors, this movie earned its perfect score. 5/5. The Coens deserve another award. It's not QUITE as good as Inception, not as good as Toy Story 3. But it deserves seeing.

Tell the Little Fockers to go fock themselves. See True Grit this New Year's.

I miss seeing movies in the theaters. This is one I really, really wanted to see. I even had a plan that my parents would watch baby over Christmas for a couple of hours and I would sneak away. But alas, I didn't get that chance. Oh, well. Just have to see it on the DVD.

Edited by karamazov80

I just got back from seeing it. It totally blows the first one away, in my opinion. Of course, I'm not a huge John Wayne fan, so I may be biased.

Jeff Bridges nailed the character, and little Mattie was incredible. Wow. Definitely a purchase when it comes out on DVD.

I'm torn between supporting this because western's never get made, and saying screw it, nothing beat John Wayne.

Maybe nothing beats Wayne. But the supporting cast is so worth it. At least go to support the supporting. Hell you may be surprised. Jeff Bridges just might win you over.

A masterful movie, no doubt. The wife and I managed to go see this earlier in the week and we both loved it. We were both expecting something, well, grittier. What we got was an entirely pleasant experience with top-notch acting and some surreal feel-good moments. Trekker's review is pretty spot on, but I would add that the acting, while definitely top-notch, is also over the top in typical Coen Brothers fashion. The three heroes (and their actors) are constantly competing with each other, but the characters manage to come off as both outrageous and real. One final note: Matt Damon's delivery of "I'm a Texas Ranger" has got to be the best single-line delivery of the year. He says that line with his entire essence.

I composed a post hours ago & then trashed it because it basically said nothing useful about the new movie & just dealt with the old version. Having read Dino's comment I will comment by saying that despite my love of John Wayne he only ever played ...er..John Wayne & his sole Oscar for True Grit was perhaps in recognition of the man rather than for his acting. The original was as always dominated entirely by Big John , Glen Campbell was abyssmal as was the actress who played Mattie .....even Robert Duvall was lame! John Wayne was a true icon & many people wouldn't have even noticed the plot,the acting or the majestic scenery in the original .....they just watched Wayne.