UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates for play or display? a discussion

TBT!

Hey guys,

With the push of things like the Max Line and the amount of minimates we are seeing in TRU it seems DST if finally fulfilling some of it's dream of minimates being a mainstream kids toyline.

I however have some concerns about this, not from a "Oh noes they'll make what kidz want and we'll be left out" point of view but more of a are DST really capable of producing minimates that are really up to kids playing with them?

Over the years it seems to me that minimates have become less durable and as time has gone on It seems that softer plastics and perhaps mold reuse has given us frequent minimates with loose joints or warped parts. Minimates have gone from something rough and tumble on my desk after opening to something I carefully open and then put away or on display because I don't want them to break.

I know some of you out there have kids who they let play with their mates and I guess my questions are:

"How well do minimates stand up to kids playing with them these days?"

"If you didn't collect minimates, would you buy them for your kids, or just see them as cheap toys that will come apart/get lost easily and aren't worth it?"

I know most of you guys are collectors and therefore don't really play but value anythoughts or opinions you might want to share on the durability of minimates compared to other toy lines.

T.

I don't think i'd give mine to kids . . . just because of the very reasons you've stated.

Recent sets (FA X-Men, i'm looking at you) had very loose gloves and boots that seem to fall off if you even look at them to vigorously.

If i were to give them to kids to play with, i might be tempted to glue the hands and feet in first . . .

At first I wanted to say that I wouldn't give them to kids because of all the small parts that could be lost, but there are plenty of other toy lines that have small parts, like Lego minifigs and GI Joes. I guess it just depends on the age. I think ages 8 and up would be appropriate.

As for playing vs displaying, it's really up to your imagination.

I think it depends on how rough you want to be with them. I've found minimates to be pretty durable, but I tend to play with them to the extent of posing them and reposing them, occasionally some get to travel, and some live in the car.

I did take Aquaman to Hawaii, and he was either in my bag, pocket or doing tropical photoshoots (example below). Aquaman, being the only DC 'mate I'll admit to owning, was also the only 'mate I've been rougher with (he likes it rough). I've had to replace his head because he original face wore off within hours of being opened, but that was normal wear and tear, since then he has been in my pocket while I swam in the ocean, been with me snorkeling, been in my pint of beer, and sometimes he hogs the bed. I do think the older 'mates had tighter holes and pegs, harder plastic and less accessories (like flared gloves) keeping them more durable.

post-3701-1291274681_thumb.jpg

Now that I think about it, I had the Wolverine and Sabretooth two-pack from toys r us in two of my cars. They lived there, survived an accident, endured summer heat, and blizzard condidtions, been played with by anyone who got into the car and was like "Oh Wolverine! why, whatsitdoo?" and survived an assault of mcdonalds' french fries.

the most damage any 'mate has suffered was a White Queen from an e-bay lot. the seller shipped them all in one bag and she ended up with a red paint gash on her cape, and some hot soapy water later, it's all white again.

The change in the plastics i've always found disheartening. I've carried wave 2 Spidey with me forever. The new stuff is just too flimsy. It reminds me of an experience I had while working at TRU. This woman came in and yelled at me yelled, because we sold her a SuperHero Showdown Spiderman figure. If you recall that line, really loose joints that pop out, because it was meant to be a game. She said her son cried himself to sleep because he got Spidey home and he "broke" and she couldn't gt him to stay again before something else would break, and how dare we carry such an awful line. Right, like that's my fault and we're going to refuse merchandise because it makes your kid cry.

I can forsee something similar with the Max mates. But then again, you have to remember that since day 1 in TRU kids have been the biggest sellers of Minimates. Chuck has said so. It's just the nature of the beast. We here have gone from probably being 60% of sales to less than 15%, mainly thanks to the vast market at TRU.

So I don't think it's a bad idea. Kids generally like what we like, most of the time. MODOK or a Max Hooker might not appeal to them, but evil villains certainly will. Lego Secret Agents anyone?

What's interesting is starting around TRU Marvel Wave 2/LCS Marvel Wave 25 the age went from "4 and Up" to "8 and Up" on the packaging. Was that due to stricter regulations on toys or did they know that QC might be an issue with younger kids playing with the figures?

LCS Wave 24

pack0517f_lg.jpg

LCS Wave 25

pack0505f_lg.jpg

*credit to MMDB for pics

That's interesting Lurch, I hadn't noticed that.

T.

You wouldn't have done Tim because that is incorrect.

edit: Now that Lurch has edited his post I'll have to modify mine . The Minimate pack has always had the 'not for 0-3 year olds.' logo on the back of the pack & still does . I'll concede that Lurch is correct & I'm wrong about the age level being lifted up to 8 but 'little kids aged from 0-3 years' & 'little kids aged from 4 years up' always left those kids aged from 3-4 years of age very vulnerable :P

*Phthalates......it's all about phthalates & PVC. Kids above 8 are perhaps thought to be past 'sucking toys' .....young kids sucking toys are not helping their chances of becoming parents themselves in years to come .

*Banned in the EU years ago ........round about the time Minimates stopped being sold in the UK.

Remember those 'rubbery' capes & cowls worn by C3 'mates.........full of phthalates I'll wager .

Conspiracy Theory Area: Why were there so many C3 sets left behind in Hong Kong when they could have been shipped & sold ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

If I may chime in, I would feel more comfortable with having kids play with the 2.5" and 3" figures. I felt they were more sturdier but I could be wrong as I don't have many of those in my collection. The 2" ones can be hit or miss. If there's one improvement DST could make on the loose hands/feet, is to make them ball joints so it just pops in and hopefully they won't slide off as easily. But in it's current form, I'd give them to mature kids to play with, whatever that means.

I've got kids and let them play with mates some. But, they get the spare parts box usually (which is really a huge amount). They like the fact that you can take them apart and make them different. Would it be frustrating as a kid to have your toy's parts fall off? Probably. Would they still play with them? Probably. I'd like the QC to improve if they're aiming it at kids, but I don't think it's bad enough consistently to keep sales from happening.

Edited by groundhog7s

I've had to replace his head because he original face wore off within hours of being opened, but that was normal wear and tear,

Your activities are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Yeah, I was wondering about this as well. What exactly is the "normal wear and tear" you put a Minimate through that causes a Minimate's face to wear off in hours?

I've had to replace his head because he original face wore off within hours of being opened, but that was normal wear and tear,

Your activities are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Yeah, I was wondering about this as well. What exactly is the "normal wear and tear" you put a Minimate through that causes a Minimate's face to wear off in hours?

Ivan, I've been LOLing for hours.

Hellpop, the first day that I had him, I put him in my pocket. While a friend was driving to the mall, I pulled him out and was playing with him, posing and making him bald, during that time I thought I noticed a bit of his eyebrow had gone missing. I wiped his face with my thumb thinking it may have been a piece of dust or something and discovered that the paint application was actual rubbing off. Hours later, and he had been in a pocket, his mouth was gone and most of his right eye.

Hellpop, the first day that I had him, I put him in my pocket. While a friend was driving to the mall, I pulled him out and was playing with him, posing and making him bald, during that time I thought I noticed a bit of his eyebrow had gone missing. I wiped his face with my thumb thinking it may have been a piece of dust or something and discovered that the paint application was actual rubbing off. Hours later, and he had been in a pocket, his mouth was gone and most of his right eye.

I don't think I've ever had a face wear off like that. But, then again, I keep mine in a series of safety deposit boxes scattered throughout the Northeast, so they don't get handled that much.

I don't think I've ever had a face wear off like that. But, then again, I keep mine in a series of safety deposit boxes scattered throughout the Northeast, so they don't get handled that much.

Yeah, I always figured the tampos were fairly resilient, but I don't wear sandpaper underpants anymore. Maybe I'm just out of touch with what all the kids are doing these days.

Hellpop, have you been kicked out of the private room for taking too much time while 'opening' your safe deposit box? Twenty minutes just isn't enough time to fully reenact my "Spider-Men Versus the Cylons" space opera. I only keep them in abandoned missile silos now.

Yeah, I always figured the tampos were fairly resilient, but I don't wear sandpaper underpants anymore. Maybe I'm just out of touch with what all the kids are doing these days.

Hellpop, have you been kicked out of the private room for taking too much time while 'opening' your safe deposit box? Twenty minutes just isn't enough time to fully reenact my "Spider-Men Versus the Cylons" space opera. I only keep them in abandoned missile silos now.

Speaking of abandoned missile silos, what took millions to build can be bought for a couple hundred thousands.

personally i play with my minimates :P i try to display them on a shelf but i cant resist picking them up and playing with them. at the moment i have a CUBE prison playset going on with the marvel universe galactus(which is the most amazing figure ever and is perfect size for minimates) battling my heroes. on an unrelated note; anyone have a good recipe for a darkhawk quick custom?