UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blu-Ray Recommendations?

The_Donster

We finally pulled the trigger and got a flatscreen television for our bedroom. We saved so much money, that we were able to pick up a blu-ray and sound bar. Although the amount of volume coming out of the tv, I'm wondering if we need it :lol: So I was wondering what folks can recommend in the way of blu-ray movies? While we initially plan to watch them through Netflix, I am looking for one's that are worth buying too ;)

Anything by Edgar Wright or Pixar

The Dark Knight

Watchmen

Pretty much anything that you already like is a little cooler on Bluray. Although one thing I have noticed is that practical effects in older movies are a bit more noticeable on Bluray so beware of that.

I'm in the process of finally upgrading our TV before the New Year & without derailing this thread (please) is it worth going up the 3D route?

The Lost TV show is just sensational on Blu-Ray. Rule of Thumb for me with TV shows is "If it was fimed then it will be impressive in HD" . I'm using the word 'film' in its strictest meaning ....35mm ....still the best after 100 years of.....er...development ;)

if you're into Star Wars, the clones wars series is fantastic on blu-ray or try Battlestar Galactica & both Iron Man movies

& to anwsers BHM's question as a man that works for a large electrical chain at the moment..... No, it looks very very good but you need to have the TV, the special blu-ray player, the special HDMI cable & and not forgetting the glasses. theres one which you need batteries for and one which you don't, both give me a damn headache after more then 1/2 hour!!!! they also break and cost alot to buy new ones

i would say get a nice massive normal TV(there coming down in price all the time & don't be talked into an extended warrenty ;)) and wait a few years till theres more stuff to watch in 3D and you don't need glasses, i believe Sony are making one, and get one of them bad boys

Edited by winkerbean

I agree with Minifiend to some extent. Older DVDs look damn good when played through a Blu Ray on an HDTV. If you stuck two TVs next to each other, and played, say, the Blu Ray of Lord of the Rings on one and the DVD on the other, then I'm sure the Blu Ray version will look better. But if you don't, unless you are sitting 2 feet from the TV, I don't think the brain really makes a huge distinction. DVDs look really, really good. I rented Superman/Batman: Apocalypse on DVD the other day and was watching on my HDTV through the PS3 and it looked flawless to me.

BHM:

I would also wait on a 3D TV until the technology advances and comes down in price significantly. As far as HDTVs go, I would make sure to get one with a 120HZ refresh rate, all the action and movement is MUCH smoother, especially on animated movies.

Don:

These are some of the movies we have on BR:

Taken

Gran Torino

IM2

Toy Story 3

Monsters vs. Aliens

Watchmen

Dark Night

I Am Legend

G-Force

Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs

BS

I bought a Blu-Ray player yesterday. I've wanted it for a while, but waited for a good price. Got my HDTV a couple weeks ago, and now I'm set.

I always said the first Blu-Ray movie I'd watch at home would be The Dark Knight, so that was what I had to watch. I was blown away at the difference between that and a standard DVD on my old TV. WOW! Now I just want to sit around and watch movies. :)

Avatar is a must for Blu-ray viewing. It was made to highlight the technology, and it does wonderfully at that. It is wonderful eye candy, and if it weren't for the utterly shitty story, it would be a pretty good movie. (The fact that it was nominated for the best-picture Oscar is unbelievable.) Otherwise, any movie you like will look better on Blu-ray. Effects-driven movies will be the obvious standouts, but that doesn't mean you should ignore everything else. Little details really do become more discernible, so I've found that anything with a lot of thought put into costumes and set design becomes that much more immersive. The Dark Knight is really tremendous at being both effects-driven but also paying attention to the little details. (And it actually has a compelling story and characters.) Like others have said, DVDs will look a bit better too, so you don't need to go replacing your collection.

Edited by Turtle

The first movie I watched on my blu ray player was Avatar. Scott Pilgrim looks really nice on blu ray (just watched it the other week).

The new Star Trek looks amazing and so do the Iron Man movies.

ahhh... I'd see this thread and felt the need to drop in with... Star Trek (2009) is the first film I ever bought on Blu-Ray, it is incredible, absolutely beautiful.

I've started picking up decent superhero films on blu-ray, apart from that I've only got Transformers and Speed Racer (awful plot... but visually better than anything i've ever seen)

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I'm definitely not going to go out and replace my dvd collection. That is, unless the price is too great to pass up :) Since this was for our bedroom we didn't get the top of the line stuff. TV, player and sound bar and with as great as the tv sounds I'm doubting we need that last one :lol: So I'd advise against the 3D BHM. For me, it feels like a fad or gimmick. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but like the Kinect for the new 360, I just don't see the point of having that as part of my home entertainment :unsure: The money you save on that could go towards a home entertainment system that rivals a movie theater. Anyway, just upgraded our movies to blu-ray at Netflix and we'll let that decide what is going in the permanent library down the line. Quick question, what is the difference between it and Vudu?

Nothing. BluRay will be obsolete in 7 years, dead in 10.

this is kind of a dumb statement. saying that a technological product will be obsolete in so many years is like saying that milk will go bad in so many days, of course it's going to be obsolete eventually but that didn't stop anyone from purchasing video cassettes or dvds did it?

Edited by minimadman

Quite right Minimadman . I do however have to make it quite clear that my comments about 'getting a 3D TV' isn't based on any pretentious desire to be at the forefront of technology .....I just need a new telly & it will be only the second one I have bought (new) in my entire life. :D I just thought that if this 3D stuff is worth the effort I'd go the extra yard & buy one. Before I buy anything I do my research & a 50" 1080p HD Panasonic (600Hz....thanks blacksun) Panasonic plasma is the way I was going & still will be.......alongside a multi-region Blu-Ray player .

Remembering that most of the English guys I hang round with aren't as technologically orientated as the guys here are ........I have little hope of finding this stuff out from them because they are always asking me :rolleyes:

I know a guy who has a Blu-Ray player & an HD TV (a monster ) but refuses to acknowledge what he is missing by not having a 5.1 audio system . His choice, but watching a DVD without even a modestly priced sound system is beyond my ken. I mentioned the '1080p' in my TV spec which again is only worthwhile if you game (I don't) or intend to use your TV as a monitor for your PC (streaming etc.) & Blu-Ray ........1080p is definitely the area that you need to 'future-proof' yourself with.

Again forgive my slight derailment but I am adamant about 5.1 sound (or indeed 7.1) being crucial to the enjoyment of DVDs .

Just to see if I can find out some info on 3D from someone who might know as I have got conflicting info.

Right the facts I wear glasses or contacts as I'm short sighted and I'm slightly colour blind on shades. You know the thing your looking at paint in the store and the guy says this is birdshell white and then shows you another and says its such and such white. Well to me they are both white I cant see the tint. Its not like I cant tell red from green or yellow its just the edges of the colour wheel thing.

Now to the question. I have been told that being colour blind and/or wearing glasses can make watching 3DTV impossible as you cant see the effect? (I've been told it does depend on your eyesight and I've been told that's a bunch of cobblers and it works no matter what.)

Now I've used the old style 3d glasses you know with comics etc and I can see them ok but not sure on the new style. I'm not thinking of buying a 3DTV as I would like to know first if its any good and the price puts me off right now.

Before I buy anything I do my research & a 50" 1080p HD Panasonic (600Hz....thanks blacksun) Panasonic plasma is the way I was going & still will be....

I've had my 58" Panny Plasma for just over a year and absolutely love it. I was on the fence between LCD/Plasma when I started looking to buy, and after several months of research decided to go with Panasonic Plasma. :thumbsup:

As for Blu-Ray recommendations, one of my favorite TV shows just hit Blu-Ray in a complete series set: Deadwood.

It looks absolutely stunning....this show didn't get the credit it deserves and ended without a true finale.

Also, the 5-disc Blade Runner set that came out in 2007 is a big recommendation for fans of the film.

As for Blu-Ray recommendations, one of my favorite TV shows just hit Blu-Ray in a complete series set: Deadwood.

It looks absolutely stunning....this show didn't get the credit it deserves and ended without a true finale.

Deadwood was brilliant.....I remember something about a film being released as the finale but nothing has happened ?

Since there are fans of Deadwood here, I would just like to take a moment to promote 3 of my current favorite shows:

- Sons of Anarchy (About to finish its 3rd season this week)

- Justified (2nd season starts in Feb)

- Terriers (1st season ending soon, this week?)

All 3 of these shows are consistently excellent viewing week after week, and they are all on FX.

SoA and Justified also feature A LOT of the cast members from Deadwood and The Shield.

Check them out if you haven't, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the caliber of storytelling in these shows.

Edited by youbastards